Denon DL-103 Aluminum Body Cap

SteveRB

Denon DL-103 Aluminum Body Cap
« on: 15 Feb 2018, 06:48 pm »
Hello,

I would like to introduce a new aluminum body concept for the Denon DL-103.

https://www.denonaluminumbody.com

The Aluminum Body Cap provides all of the well documented advantages of other aftermarket bodies available: increased bass presence, improved soundstage and imaging, combined with remarkable tone.

However, all other aftermarket bodies require the stock plastic body to be carefully removed from the cartridge, and most rely on the 'nude' cartridge being friction fit in the body with no mechanical connection to the headshell. Some aftermarket bodies require adhesive potting and adding excessive mass.

The Aluminum Body Cap is not a modification: it is an accessory. The Cap is completely removable, transferable, and greatly reduces the risk of damage to the cartridge.  The Aluminum Body Cap securely bolts through the stock cartridge body and headshell, providing a firm, mechanical connection.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

SteveRB

Re: Denon DL-103 Aluminum Body Cap
« Reply #1 on: 15 Feb 2018, 06:50 pm »
Please use discount code: AUDIOCIRCLE

For free shipping until the end of March 2018.

SteveRB

« Reply #2 on: 25 Feb 2018, 01:45 am »
Please see user review at Lenco Heaven.

https://www.lencoheaven.net/forum/index.php?topic=2589.new;topicseen#new

"Conclusion
... it is such an improvement over the stock shell, incredibly easy to fit, and for such little money it's more a case of why wouldn't you?
Compared to the other after-market shells, I'd still recommend this, just for ease of fitting and cheap price and comparable sound!"

tdogzthmn

« Reply #3 on: 25 Feb 2018, 04:17 am »
These look really cool! I wish they were $50 a pice so i could buy two.  :wink:

S Clark

• a riot is the language of the unheard- Dr. King
« Reply #4 on: 25 Feb 2018, 06:21 am »
Let me get this right... a small piece of milled Al for $120.  If it actually works as described, I'll wait for the $3 Chinese knockoff. 
Sorry to be negative, but come on, it's just plain Al with a slot and two holes.   

SteveRB

« Reply #5 on: 14 Mar 2018, 11:18 pm »
Let me get this right... a small piece of milled Al for $120.  If it actually works as described, I'll wait for the $3 Chinese knockoff. 
Sorry to be negative, but come on, it's just plain Al with a slot and two holes.

The Cap works great. I understand the cost for some DL103 users may be exclusionary. And, I recognize the market is extremely small for such specific accessory. However, most users have reported that it is a fantastic value compared to other upgrades in their system. Obviously if these were windshield wipers and every house needed two of them, overseas production and thin margins would be possible.

It any DL103 user here seriously wants to demo one of these and report back: please PM me and we can work something out.
« Last Edit: 15 Mar 2018, 06:31 am by SteveRB »

SteveRB

« Reply #6 on: 15 Mar 2018, 06:25 pm »
Stereophile Recommended Components 2018:

Phono Cartridge Class B:

Denon DL-103 in aftermarket aluminum body (requires nude DL103)

https://www.stereophile.com/content/recommended-components-fall-2017-edition-turntables-tonearms-cartridges-etc

The Aluminum Body Cap is significantly less expensive than unit reviewed.

SteveRB

« Reply #7 on: 4 Apr 2018, 07:28 pm »
Currently, offering the Aluminum Body Caps for $25 off.

www.denonaluminumbody.com

bobbyhamil

« Reply #8 on: 4 Apr 2018, 11:23 pm »
Thanks         BGH

SteveRB

« Reply #9 on: 11 Jun 2018, 04:24 pm »

"I'm not much of a reviewer/critic. and of course the 103D is not the same as the other models, but I'd say the Cap got me 80% of what a full blown Zu would get me, with the added bonus of being able to put a completely new cartridge in it later if I need or want to. Sometimes a new one is cheaper than a re-tip.

I have to admit it scared me a bit when I was inserting the 103D into the Cap. I had to press pretty hard to get it in, and I afraid I'd either damage the body or slip and rip off the stylus. Neither happened, so I'll be more confident the next time.

I certainly do recommend the Cap. Whether you are a one cartridge audiophile, or an inveterate cartridge swapper and tube roller like me, in my opinion it will give anyone even more of what their Denon 103 is capable of than they are hearing now. The Cap is a great idea, well executed, and worth every penny to anyone like me that doesn't have the tools or skill to do the work themselves. Well done! "

SteveRB

« Reply #10 on: 10 Sep 2018, 10:55 pm »
Hello,
I hope everyone had a good summer.
Just a quick update to say we have been working through our second batch here, and can now offer a new lower price on the Cap.

Talk soon,

Folsom

« Reply #11 on: 11 Sep 2018, 01:52 am »
Have you ever tried making a conversion kit for capless?

SteveRB

« Reply #12 on: 11 Sep 2018, 03:47 pm »
Have you ever tried making a conversion kit for capless?

...I'm not sure I follow?

Folsom

« Reply #13 on: 11 Sep 2018, 04:20 pm »
What if you made a couple special plates or such that allowed you to take the cap body off, and bolt the cartridge on without the original or your cap body? "Naked"

SteveRB

« Reply #14 on: 11 Sep 2018, 04:28 pm »
What if you made a couple special plates or such that allowed you to take the cap body off, and bolt the cartridge on without the original or your cap body? "Naked"

Ahhh, yes. There are a lots of naked DL-103 variants: everyone recognizes the benefits of upgrading this cart. Rather than adding to the crowded market of the nude 103's, I found supporting the plastic body with aluminum was a fantastic upgrade. So I really just want to sick with the one simple product offering. Besides, with the Cap, no one has open up their cart and it is totally removable and replaceable...

Folsom

« Reply #15 on: 11 Sep 2018, 04:46 pm »
I have only seen ones with lots of material. I'm talking about just enough to hold screws.

SteveRB

« Reply #16 on: 11 Sep 2018, 04:57 pm »
I have only seen ones with lots of material. I'm talking about just enough to hold screws.

https://www.audioasylum.com/cgi/vt.mpl?f=vinyl&m=1116388

like this gentleman: linked above.

It's really just a small plate of whatever material glued to the nude cart motor system.

I may have broken a few too many 103's trying to upgrade them like this...

Folsom

« Reply #17 on: 11 Sep 2018, 06:33 pm »
I guess there is risk involved. Braking the canti is not much more risky. It looks it but...

He glued his or something. I was thinking something that just goes with bolts, min effort once it is naky. I may draw something later.

rif

• Not a cowboy
« Reply #18 on: 11 Sep 2018, 11:00 pm »
Is it machined by hand or cnc machined?

Blackmore

« Reply #19 on: 12 Sep 2018, 04:02 pm »
Just ordered one for my Denon.   Thanks!!!