Re-Examining Amp Settings

pstrisik

• Holding pattern in Audio Nirvana in the PNW!
Re: Re-Examining Amp Settings
« Reply #20 on: 9 Sep 2017, 09:02 pm »
Early B.....   I see you have damping set at mid.  Have you tried low?  That would end up too bloated for me - I have damping on high.  But every room and set of ears are different.

......Peter

mlundy57

• Industry Participant
« Reply #21 on: 9 Sep 2017, 09:35 pm »
I'm not sure how to wire them using the high level inputs. Do I need to fashion a set of speaker cables for the plate amp end and an RCA on the preamp end????

No. To use the high level inputs on the plate amp you do need a pair of speaker cables but both ends need to be terminated for speaker use. You connect one end to the speaker binding posts on the amplifier (like bi-wiring) and the other end to the speaker binding posts (high level inputs) on the plate amp.

Mike

mlundy57

• Industry Participant
« Reply #22 on: 9 Sep 2017, 09:37 pm »
Yeah, I went through that a couple of years ago and corrected it. I had them wired out of phase for a few days.

They should be wired out of phase. Unless you've turned the backward facing driver around since taking the picture.

If both drivers are facing forward then wire them in phase. If one is facing forward and the other backward, wire them out of phase.

Early B.

« Reply #23 on: 9 Sep 2017, 11:35 pm »
Problem solved!!!!!

Well, there's more tinkering needed, but the use of speaker level inputs made a significant improvement!!! I have no idea why -- maybe my preamp was a bottleneck? Anyway, I now have more bass all up in my face.

I DIYed some speaker cables from stuff I had lying around the basement. I could only listen for a few minutes because I have out of town guests who are running from Irma. In a few days, I'll do some more experimenting and report back. Nevertheless, I realize that I still need to perform those measurements.

Odal3

« Reply #24 on: 9 Sep 2017, 11:42 pm »
 :thumb: