Tempesta vs. Merlin TSM-MME

jonbee

Tempesta vs. Merlin TSM-MME
« on: 16 Sep 2011, 07:56 pm »
One of my 4 favorite standmounts from my past was the Merlin TSM-M. I owned a pair about 8 years ago and liked them quite a lot, but sold them.
Bobby P at Merlin is always tweaking his designs, and I've had it in my mind to revisit the speaker. Now that the latest version of the TSM is out, used prices of MMEs are at giveaway levels it seems, so I bought a pair of -MME, which is 2 or 3 iterations later than the -M.
The buzz about the MME is correct- they are improved in every way, still very spacious and balanced, but more dynamic, with deeper bass. A very fine, well balanced high end performer.
However, in comparison to my newly tweaked out Tempestas, they are a somewhat distant second. The Selahs go much lower in the bass, but the big differences are the size and spaciousness of the soundstage and the more open and unforced quality of the presentation of the Selahs. The Merlins have a bit more of a technicolor presentation, while in the Selahs the music is just hanging there, notably larger in size and as natural and easy as I've heard.
Given the level of critical acclaim the MMEs have gotten, Rick should be proud of how the Tempesta matches up, at a similar retail price point.
I'd love to compare the Selahs to the latest VSM. My experience suggests that  would be  a fairer comparison - to the Merlins.
BTW, this is not to dis the Merlins-I really do like the MMEs a lot, and will be keeping them for my office system.
« Last Edit: 17 Sep 2011, 05:05 pm by jonbee »

music lover

Re: Tempesta vs. Merlin TSM-MME
« Reply #1 on: 16 Sep 2011, 08:29 pm »
I had an earlier version of the VSM with BAM and between those speakers and  my Tempestas, they are similar in terms of  precise imaging and sounstaging,

however the size of the images are bigger with the Tempestas. I am sure that the latest versions of the Merlins are a lot better

than my older version, but we are looking at a retail price difference of about 3-4 times more than the Tempestas. So the Tempestas

are a really great great bargain. With the accuton midrange driver, overall the midrange is fuller. And it is a three way vs two.

jonbee

« Reply #2 on: 16 Sep 2011, 08:55 pm »
I owned a pair of VSM-SEs as well- I didn't care for them. I'm certain the new VSM is far better. Given how much more refined the Selahs are then the TSM-MMEs, the VSM comparison does come to mind.

Phil A

« Reply #3 on: 16 Sep 2011, 11:29 pm »
It's great they take an older design and improve it so their customers who do not want to go out and buy new speakers have an upgrade to look forward to.  That being said, an older design has some limitations and for some paying more to upgrade something that can't do what less expensive newer designs can do may not be desirable.