Sony XA5400ES Mods Anyone?

mdabb

Re: Sony XA5400ES Mods Anyone?
« Reply #20 on: 26 Mar 2009, 01:17 am »
A Blu-ray player would be something I'd be interested in !!! To me the right BDP (like the Oppo) would be a nice progressive first step. It shouldn't be long before the Oppo is released to the masses.

Here are some pics of the Oppo including inside of the unit, if interested (not my pics).

http://vtbsd.net/bdp83/

« Last Edit: 26 Mar 2009, 04:04 am by mdabb »

tomm

« Reply #21 on: 26 Mar 2009, 01:30 pm »
I have a Transporter.
I am in the market for a Blu-Ray with improved Audio hopefully as well in VIDEO.  I won't throw away the Transporter, but use them both.  One can not get all the features that the Transporter provides from a Blu-Ray machine.

AB

« Reply #22 on: 26 Mar 2009, 03:36 pm »
I have my audio and video systems completely separate so a blu ray player would be of no use to me. That said, I wouldn't care if the next MW universal disc player mod was built into a blu ray player as long as it sounded great.
I currently have two modded universal players that do video but exist only as audio components in my stereo.
My Modwright Sony 9100es had its PSU upgraded by Dan recently and it's still an amazing player - even better now with the new PSU.

I like the idea of a Transporter style output stage built into a new universal player too. But whatever Dan comes up with next, I'll be interested in.

modwright

« Reply #23 on: 26 Mar 2009, 07:37 pm »
I have ideas for the next player, but which player will it be?

My thoughts for a relatively low cost SS mod for the Oppo was that it would appeal to those who want a multi-use player with excellent sound and video, without the associated cost of one of our tube-modified players.

If someone can recommend a good CDP or Blu-Ray player that is also a good music player, my ears are WIDE OPEN!

Thanks,

Dan

tomm

« Reply #24 on: 26 Mar 2009, 11:18 pm »
I think the Oppo with mods is a better choice than the Sony, since the Oppo is/will be a multi player & cost less too.

mattyturner

« Reply #25 on: 26 Mar 2009, 11:31 pm »
Yep, I would be all over a modded oppo (SS or Tube)

mikel51

« Reply #26 on: 27 Mar 2009, 12:50 am »
I am still using a Denon 5910 and have not switched over to Blue Ray yet.  The Oppo player sounds interesting because it could play the few SACD's and DVD-As that I have that can't be ripped for playback with the transporter at full resolution.

I would consider a modded oppo, and I am thinking about replacing the Denon with the oppo.  95% of my use is for video playback, and I occasionally use for SACD.  I have never liked the sound of the 5910 compared to my tubed DAC redbook audio system...even when using it as a transport.  Somehow, it just wasn't as good quality of a transport as my old Anthem CD player.

modwright

« Reply #27 on: 27 Mar 2009, 06:07 am »
Okay, so I just perused the Pics of the Oppo.  It looks like the unit runs hot - video chips I am sure.  As a result, it is also well cooled and ventilated.

We could do one of two things with this unit:

1) A tube mod, similar to that done for the Sony's and Transporter, with circuitry similar to the Transporter and the same level of tube flexibility, but with an external supply - by shear necessity.

2) A SS mod, ranging from a complete re-designed analog stage, clock upgrade and possibly dedicated analog power supply to a simpler approach, including clock upgrade, upgraded op-amps, power supply improvements and possible direct-coupling of analog outputs.

These mods could range in price from $500 - $3k, depending on scope.

If I can get a further idea of peoples' interest and budget for this project, I would be grateful.

Sincerely,

Dan W.

ted_b

• Volunteer
  • "we're all bozos on this bus" F.T.
« Reply #28 on: 27 Mar 2009, 10:56 am »
Dan,
Would either mod choice include improving the multichannel outs (i.e center, sub, surrounds, along with mains) and would/could it improve HDMI signal path (other than the obvious improvements a better power supply gives the whole unit)?  Thx
Ted

jwes

« Reply #29 on: 27 Mar 2009, 01:19 pm »
I'd be all over mods that improve digital audio (and video) out.  Would use as a multi format transport (blu-ray, cd, etc.), sending audio digitally to Transporter.  But, my approach is to make 2Ch so good that the other channels make less difference.  I'm likely in a minority here, but that's how it would work in for me...

Jim

tomm

« Reply #30 on: 27 Mar 2009, 02:14 pm »
I am with jwes.
When I watch a movie, I would use the digital out to the HT machine to do its thing. I would be more concentrated on the movie/story than the sound. Yes, better sound would enhance the overall experience, but...

Perhaps there would be two level of mods, one with external PS along with tubes.

mikel51

« Reply #31 on: 27 Mar 2009, 05:38 pm »
I using my modwright transporter for audio, so I wouldn't really go for the full tilt tube mod.  I still only watch movies with 2 channels of sound....now if you could turn it into a digital transport for SACD and DVD-A to my transporter (I know this is unlikely), that would be the ultimate......I would be in this mostly for the video quality and secondly for audio quality.

ted_b

• Volunteer
« Reply #32 on: 27 Mar 2009, 05:52 pm »
DVD-A will work, for 2 channel, Mike.  The Oppo will output up to 24/192 PCM out of the digital outs (the TP only accept do up to 24/96 of course).  Nothing for SACD, though, unless you go with Shawn Fogg's 3or 4 spdif output card mod first (looks like he's pulled references to Oppo on his site, http://www.switch-box.com/Home.html )  That will send SACD as downconverted (but great sounding due to the correct math on the downconvert) 24/88.2 out of his card's coax output.  Stock Oppo Blu_Ray will only send SACD via HDMI (DSD or PCM, depedning on your processor) or, new to this Oppo, DSD decoded analog (or the typical pcm-decoded version). 

That's why I asked Dan about improvement potential to the HDMI stream.  What I'd really like is a Dan modded processor.  :wink: :wink:

rydenfan

« Reply #33 on: 27 Mar 2009, 07:19 pm »

That's why I asked Dan about improvement potential to the HDMI stream.  What I'd really like is a Dan modded processor.  :wink: :wink:

+1
 :drool:

Marco Prozzo

« Reply #34 on: 27 Mar 2009, 08:54 pm »

+1
 :drool:

In that regard I suggested to Dan that he take a look at the Berkley Alpha DAC.  It seems to me that that's technology moving in the right direction.  Anyone have any direct experience with that DAC?

ted_b

• Volunteer
« Reply #35 on: 28 Mar 2009, 12:41 am »
Yes but two things
1. Alpha dac is $5k and competes as it's a 2 channel dac like the TP
2. I'm typing on my itouch so I'll report on the berkeley when I get home nxt tuesday, and on another relevant thread

So it's not the processor David and I referred to. The integra 9.8 (onkyo pro 885) IS, though.  :D

rydenfan

« Reply #36 on: 28 Mar 2009, 02:30 am »
Marco, have you had a chance to hear the Alpha? I am not sure there is too much that can be improved upon. But that is for another thread entirely. Also, as Ted states that is much more a competitor to the TP and not a HT processor. I would love for Dan to look at the Integra 9.8/Onkyo 885 processor to see what magic he can work.

Marco Prozzo

« Reply #37 on: 28 Mar 2009, 02:48 am »
Marco, have you had a chance to hear the Alpha? I am not sure there is too much that can be improved upon. But that is for another thread entirely. Also, as Ted states that is much more a competitor to the TP and not a HT processor. I would love for Dan to look at the Integra 9.8/Onkyo 885 processor to see what magic he can work.

No, I have not heard the Alpha, I've only read about it.  I agree, I was not suggesting Dan try to improve upon it (then again he's prepared to take on the video output of the OPPO which would be hard to improve on as well, but don't doubt, if anyone could do it, Dan could! Audio output could definitely be improved there.).  I only suggested that he check out what it's accomplishing (he was not familiar with it), which occurred to me in my limited understanding of this stuff, to be unique in that it seemed to be resolving higher resolution files, outputting them in their native resolution (correct?).  AFAIK, the TP is not able to do that, is it - it still outputs as PCM, yes?  I wonder if that could be implemented in a true all-in-one player/DAC via USB or HDMI or?  Maybe I'm asking too much or my lack of understanding is showing up in the spotlight here.   I've been trying to reduce my # of boxes, even though the PS36.5 is calling out like a siren. It's a good thing Dan's boxes are so damn handsome  aa  I don't know anything about the Onkyo 885 that you are referring to.  I'm not into the multi-channel HT thing in any way whatsoever.  It's 2-channel or no channels for me.  I've always found even the best multi-channel systems to be little more than a distracting novelty.  Perhaps I've not heard the right one.

MrBrix

« Reply #38 on: 28 Mar 2009, 10:23 pm »
Definitely the Oppo.  I have been waiting for this Oppo blue ray  unit since it was announced and was offered the early evaluation program but wanted to wait for the final release before placing an order.  I spoke with someone at Oppo over a week ago and was told it will be released roughly in the next 3 to 4 weeks.

I definitely will go for a full monty Tube Modwright mod on this Oppo blue ray unit with external power supply to complement my Modwright Transporter

Ije

Disbeliever

« Reply #39 on: 29 Mar 2009, 09:52 am »
I can assure everyone that the Sony SCD-XA5400ES despite being PCM/DSD is far superior to the Oppo 980H for SACD surround sound and does not require any modifications. It sounds superb with the matching STR-DA5400ES receiver with H.A.T.S. on for reduced jitter with HDMI both for RB CD & SACD.
However unfortunately I found my DA5400ES receiver to have a design fault and had to return it to the Sony Centre (U.K.) for a refund. The receiver  shuts down for no apparent reason and despite many attempts to RESET it ,as described in the manual no luck. I have reported the problem to Sony and they choose to ignore me. I understand that for 2009/10 a DA5500ES is coming.