Strange 9.0 SE partner....

low.pfile

Strange 9.0 SE partner....
« on: 29 Apr 2008, 06:59 pm »
I betcha no one is going to be running their Modwright Pre 9.0 SE with a Sonic Impact $75 T-AMP like I will be until my RWA 30.2 arrives (Hurry Vinnie!)

To break-in / burn-in the MWI 9.0 I tried to use my NAD 314 integrated in Amp mode (remove jumpers) but got a major hum that I could not remove with different power connections. So without any other amp to use, I picked up the cheapie Sonic Impact T-amp Gen2 version @ 15/10wpc  ...Oh it can be battery operated too! 

http://www.si5.com/products.php?pID=4046

not expecting too much really.  :lol:

low.pfile

Re: Strange 9.0 SE partner....
« Reply #1 on: 2 May 2008, 05:07 am »
Well my expectations were BLOWN AWAY!

[large]
The 9.0 paired well with the "little guy"! I am so surprised by the dynamics I am hearing. There may be a little loss of detail but this sounds good. This combo is besting my year old 130wpc Denon AVR 4306 connected to the devore's.

This little 10W into 8ohms/15W into 4ohms brought my new Devore Super 8's to life. I had to check to see if my subwoofer was connected.
Tracks where the bass sub 30hz bass (guess) was deep:
 Sombre Detune - Royksopp
 Silent Shout - The Knife
 Dream On - Depeche Mode

Unfortunately, I am having problems with the HT Bypass function on the 9.0 Pre. The audio signal doesn't seem to make it through to the speakers ( I have confirmed the signal is there from the Denon AVR.

Also the 9.0 was buzzing like a bee when plugged directly into the wall outlet. I freed up a receptacle in my Belkin Pure AV power center and it went away.

Can't wait for the RWA 30.2 amp to arrive!!!! :drool: to pair with the 9.0 to create some amazing music.

low.pfile

« Reply #2 on: 2 May 2008, 05:34 am »
In case I wasn't clear.... I am contributing the great sound, I mention above, to the MWI SWL 9.0 Pre.  Making a $75 baby amp sound great.

modwright

« Reply #3 on: 2 May 2008, 11:21 am »
This might help with the HT/BP function:

Be sure that the fourth input is selected (HT/BP) and the HT/BP toggle is engaged in the up position.  The unit does need to be powered up in order for the HT/BP to operate.

Thanks for sharing your experience with our 9.0SE preamp and the low power Class D amp.  I firmly believe that you should start at the source and work your way out, as far as upgrades go.  The signal can only be degraded as it goes down the signal path.

Secondly, a GOOD active preamp, in my opinion, will always outperform the best passive.  I am pleased and not surprised to hear that you are enjoying great sound.  The Devore speakers are also exceptional.

Take care and enjoy!

Dan W.