• http://www.selahaudio.com
Texas Arrays and Center Channel
« on: 1 Aug 2007, 10:43 pm »

Accuton drivers  :thumb:
« Last Edit: 3 Aug 2007, 10:44 pm by Rick Craig »

gitarretyp

Re: Texas Arrays and Center Channel
« Reply #1 on: 1 Aug 2007, 10:52 pm »
Beautiful work, as usual :thumb:. Are they coming to the Austin area, perchance?

brj

« Reply #2 on: 1 Aug 2007, 11:00 pm »
Rick, which sub-album is it?  Your link appears to go to your top level album, and there are several arrays shown.

Thanks.

Rick Craig

• Industry Participant
  • Selah Audio
« Reply #3 on: 1 Aug 2007, 11:02 pm »
Rick, which sub-album is it?  Your link appears to go to your top level album, and there are several arrays shown.

Thanks.

The arrays and center channel with the ceramic (white) woofers on page 1.
« Last Edit: 1 Aug 2007, 11:14 pm by Rick Craig »

Rick Craig

• Industry Participant
  • Selah Audio
« Reply #4 on: 1 Aug 2007, 11:03 pm »
Beautiful work, as usual :thumb:. Are they coming to the Austin area, perchance?

Dallas, but worth the trek...

Brucemck

« Reply #5 on: 2 Aug 2007, 03:25 pm »

Rick and I have been talking about an Accuton based design for nearly two years now.

They'll be going into my dual use home theater and music listening room.  Rick was easy to work with, and, extremely helpful in matching the woodwork to other furniture in my home.

The arrays were built with subs in mind.  I'll be using two Seaton Submersives in stereo mode to augment the left and right arrays.  Those are incredibly "fast" and clean subs, and I have no doubt that they'll be a great match for Rick's arrays.  Given that I'd be using subs in almost any scenario, Rick convinced me to go with the 5" rather than the 7" Accutons.

Crossovers in the arrays were built to enable me to use Rick's built in passives, or, to go active via a new DEQX that I'm having modded by Empirical Audio.  Center will be run passive.

"Matching" 18w custom built 300b balanced amps are being built by Alex at 3d Audio (http://www.3d-audio.com).  Given the lower efficiency of the center channel, it'll have a higher output 6550 or KT88 amp powering it.

The speakers will arrive first, the amps second, and the DEQX last, so I'll get a chance to hear Rick's stuff all passive with my current solid state amps, then all passive with my new 300bs, then active with everything in the chain.

Thanks Rick!

Brucemck

« Reply #6 on: 13 Aug 2007, 10:09 pm »
They've arrived, been uncrated (beautifully packed), and been hooked up via their passive crossovers to my solid state amp via some old zip cord.

While I'm VERY far from getting them either dialed in (r.e. location, toe in, and integration with the two subs) or broken in (there's less than 20 hours on the crossover caps) my early reaction is "WOW!"  .... which was also my Wife's first word after listening to a Don Henley vocal and an old Temptations cut.

Zero compression and real "ease".  Details galore.  Soundstaging with real width and depth and height.  Great tone.  And none of the "etched" or "analytical" character that most cones seems to exhibit (in this way they resemble my old Genesis 350SEs ribbon midranges.)

It'll be a few weeks before I get the DEQX in, the tube amps in, and get the whole rig properly dialed in.  But even at this very early stage I know Rick's got a great new offering on tap.

kyyuan

« Reply #7 on: 14 Aug 2007, 12:43 am »
Rick...that's very nice looking.

Bruce...please keep us posted.

Rick Craig

• Industry Participant
  • Selah Audio
« Reply #8 on: 14 Aug 2007, 11:03 pm »
They've arrived, been uncrated (beautifully packed), and been hooked up via their passive crossovers to my solid state amp via some old zip cord.

While I'm VERY far from getting them either dialed in (r.e. location, toe in, and integration with the two subs) or broken in (there's less than 20 hours on the crossover caps) my early reaction is "WOW!"  .... which was also my Wife's first word after listening to a Don Henley vocal and an old Temptations cut.

Zero compression and real "ease".  Details galore.  Soundstaging with real width and depth and height.  Great tone.  And none of the "etched" or "analytical" character that most cones seems to exhibit (in this way they resemble my old Genesis 350SEs ribbon midranges.)

It'll be a few weeks before I get the DEQX in, the tube amps in, and get the whole rig properly dialed in.  But even at this very early stage I know Rick's got a great new offering on tap.

Thanks for your kind comments. I look forward to visiting and hearing your system  :thumb: