Modwright 999ES arrived - a few questions

Chris_B

« on: 7 Aug 2005, 03:14 pm »
My 999ES arrived Saturday.  I was lucky enough to get in on the special buy Dan advertised in June - one heck of a deal.  Nice job on the packing Dan.  The unit is incredibly well built, especially the outboard power supply which is built like a tank and quite heavy.  

What steps should be followed when setting the player up?  I assume the moded outputs (with the tubes) are the L/R stereo ones but this player has 2 of them.  Are both of them us the moded output path?  

I still need to go into the menus to turn off the video circuitry and the 5.1 outputs.  I supposed that will help too.

Thanks much Dan.  I look forward to putting this player through its paces.

Chris

ted_b

• Volunteer
  • "we're all bozos on this bus" F.T.
« Reply #1 on: 7 Aug 2005, 03:22 pm »
There are a lot of tips and info on the earlier 999ES posts/threads.  I own one of the first batch, and love it.  The tubed output is either stereo output pair; the other is in the 5.1 section and is the l/r for the multichannel (not tubed, but possibly modded with some upgraded opamps if you had it done, as I did).  Check out my posts and others regarding break-in time and process (200 hrs, pre doesn't need to be on) :
http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=16503

ENJOY!!

Ted

Chris_B

« Reply #2 on: 7 Aug 2005, 04:29 pm »
Just so I know I got it right, both of the two outputs on the left are moded, correct? Sorry it's so out of focus.

ted_b

• Volunteer
« Reply #3 on: 7 Aug 2005, 05:42 pm »
Yeah, they're the same outputs, just duplicated, and are the ones going through the tubed section.  I have mine in output set 1 (left most, as you have yours).

Ted

Chris_B

« Reply #4 on: 7 Aug 2005, 08:34 pm »
Thanks.  I'll give it a few weeks to run a few hundred hours through it and report back.  I am sure it will be a great match with my SWL 9.0SE preamp.

take care,

Chris

ted_b

• Volunteer
« Reply #5 on: 7 Aug 2005, 09:33 pm »
Same marriage (pre) as mine...great results.  You will love the sound.

Ted