Channel Island VDA-1/VAC-1 mods?

gd0

« on: 10 May 2005, 09:57 pm »
I'm considering a <$1K DAC to improve music playback in the HT system, where the DVD players are no better than mid-level Pioneers... adding a dedicated CD player is not an option.

The top contenders so far are the Benchmark DAC1, or a used Bel Canto DAC2... upsamplers with built-in jitter reduction.

Then I stumbled across the Modwright mods for the Channel Island VDA-1/VAC-1 combo for well under a grand... and I would certainly consider CI as I had a very good experience with an old Audio Alchemy DITB years ago.

Is an additional jitter unit recommended for the VDA-1?

Anybody try the Modwrights yet?... or are they still too new to have a track record?

Thanks in advance.

kfr01

Re: Channel Island VDA-1/VAC-1 mods?
« Reply #1 on: 10 May 2005, 10:21 pm »
Quote from: gd0
I'm considering a <$1K DAC to improve music playback in the HT system, where the DVD players are no better than mid-level Pioneers... adding a dedicated CD player is not an option.

The top contenders so far are the Benchmark DAC1, or a used Bel Canto DAC2... upsamplers with built-in jitter reduction.

Then I stumbled across the Modwright mods for the Channel Island VDA-1/VAC-1 combo for well under a grand... and I would certainly consider CI as I had a very good experience with an old Audio Alchemy  ...

I am also interested in feedback / listening impressions on these modifications.

Charles Calkins

« Reply #2 on: 10 May 2005, 10:32 pm »
I had a Bel Canto DAC 2 I bought from Audio Advisor. What a disappointment!!!.  Save your money and buy something else. Modded DVD players by APL or Modwright are the only way to go!

Cheers
                           Charlie

Rocket

« Reply #3 on: 10 May 2005, 11:35 pm »
hi charles,

do you think a modwright level 2 perpetual technologies p3a dac would sound better than a bel canto dac 2?

i have never compared them but have heard the bc is very good.

regards rod

Charles Calkins

« Reply #4 on: 11 May 2005, 12:09 am »
Rocket:
   I really and truthfully cannot say how the Modwright modded units would sound compared to the B.C. DAC2. I've never heard them. Truthfully I can say that Buying a B.C. DAC2 and hooking it up to a CD player is a waste of good money. Maybe if the B.C. DAC2 were hooked up to a CD transport it would work better than what I encountered by just hooking it up to a CD player.  

Cheers
                               Charlie