WHO inform processed meats cause cancer

RDavidson

Re: WHO inform processed meats cause cancer
« Reply #40 on: 3 Nov 2015, 09:02 pm »
Based on how you feel about it?

Did he not say "Here's MY take -" at the very beginning of his statement? His take = His feelings on the topic.

GentleBender

« Reply #41 on: 3 Nov 2015, 09:37 pm »
This news has raised my stress levels! Oh noes...I will have cancer for sure now. :P

For the record sun causes cancer, most water has many contaminates including prescription drugs. Fish has mercury or has been farm raised in terrible conditions, along with most of the other live stock and poultry being pumped with antibiotics and hormones. Not to suggest that processed meats are healthy, but nothing is perfect. I agree with moderation, except for drinking since that is good for you. :icon_surprised:

Guy 13

« Reply #42 on: 3 Nov 2015, 09:43 pm »
Hi all,
if I win the lottery jack pot I will go 100% organic - bio !  :thumb:
Even if I win tons of money, that's still not possible today.  :(
There is always some toxic stuff in everything you eat,
however, eating more healthy reduce your chances of getting sick
or cancer  :thumb:
and that's what I am doing with my limited budget
or my small retirement pension.  :D

Guy 13

By the way, I have stop completely eating processed meat.

werd

« Reply #43 on: 3 Nov 2015, 10:21 pm »
I'd have to look it up, which I'm not inclined to do because I've put this issue behind me, and so should you.

Illustrating the lack of science education of the average journalist, which is the real problem here, this is all you need to know:

60,000 premature deaths worldwide attributed to this issue. That's out of the seven billion of us (or whatever the number is this year).

Look up the risk of premature death for just about anything ... for example getting in your car is about 60 times more risky.

I would bet the risk of premature death from eating animal protein that was not subject to this preservative treatment is probably many times greater simply due to bacterial multiplication that would naturally result.

Move along folks ... nothing to see here.
This is some serious number misrepresentation here. Thats 60k per year and its not 7 billion but probably some percentage of the North American/Euro population. Plus you have to calculate the percentage over the course of lifetime.  Also it says cancer not death. So what is the real number percentage now? Probably something more scarier. 

JerryM

• Where's The Bar?
« Reply #44 on: 4 Nov 2015, 01:15 am »
... Unless of course you are in California where everything causes something.

We Californians know that everything causes something. Terrible things.

Go ahead, have a bacon cheeseburger. Then watch in silent horror as all of your babies come out naked...  :green:

ctviggen

« Reply #45 on: 1 Dec 2015, 05:42 pm »
Just an observation -- some of you guys are making the mistake of saying this is just one study, but this is a "study" of over 800 studies that have been conducted on the relationship between cancer and red meat or processed meat by a group experts from all over the world. This is NOT a typical research study.

My take is that WHO is completely clueless.  The studies are ALL epidemiological, meaning they prove correlation not causation.  The relative (not absolute) risk was incredibly small, on the order of 20% or so.  Compare that to cigarettes and getting lung cancer, where the relative risk was 2,500%.   

My take with all of nutrition is that it's political and not based on scientific evidence.  Case in point:  saturated fat.  The vast majority of randomized controlled trials (NOT epidemiological studies) indicate that saturated fat has no effect on heart disease.  Yet, we're still counseled to avoid saturated fat.  Why?  Because for 50+ years, entire careers have been made and supported by this idea.   You can't change it until the people in these positions die off or retire. 

It's the same with meat:  WHO is anti-meat.  So, they make statements to support their anti-meat agenda.

ctviggen

« Reply #46 on: 1 Dec 2015, 06:00 pm »
No! The problem is gluten.....every single case of cancer is caused by gluten. I'm surprised WHO overlooked this important fact. :lol:
https://youtu.be/Oht9AEq1798

I'm of the opinion that modern wheat is very bad, at least for me.  I'm on a low carb diet (where I eat "processed meats" -- whatever those are) and every time I eat wheat, I develop allergies, acid indigestion, painful joints, chest congestion, etc.  So, I keep my wheat eating to a minimum and only have wheat every once in a great while.   (Pizza is my downfall.) 

If you want to read an interesting take on wheat, I recommend the following:

http://www.amazon.com/Wheat-Belly-Lose-Weight-Health/dp/1609611543

While I don't agree with everything in the book, there are some interesting highlights.  For instance, randomized controlled trials where one group was given a drug used to prevent drug addicts from craving drugs and the other given a placebo.  Both groups then ate wheat-based products.  The people on the drug ate much less than the people on placebo.  Why?   Modern wheat causes xorphins to be generated, which are pleasurable and cause people to overeat.  The drugs block that action.

If WHO really wants to condemn something, they should condemn high carb diets and particularly sugar.  Sugar causes many, many, many more cases of cancer than does meat. 

Guy 13

« Reply #47 on: 1 Dec 2015, 06:06 pm »
Hi all,
I am not anti-meat.
I've been saying for quite some time now:
Eat everything with moderation.
Even chocolate (But the 72% cacao) multi-grain Cheerios,
pasta, rice, once in a while one chocolate muffin, etc...
With of course, lots of vegetable and some fruits +
water, tea and unsweetened almond-coconut milk.
With the above, I can maintain a 6.5% blood sugar level
without any pills (Methaformin).
My way... works !

Guy 13
No smoke, no alcool...
In my vegetable soup in put gound beef, pork and wild pink salmon.

Guy 13

« Reply #48 on: 1 Dec 2015, 06:11 pm »
I'm of the opinion that modern wheat is very bad, at least for me.  I'm on a low carb diet (where I eat "processed meats" -- whatever those are) and every time I eat wheat, I develop allergies, acid indigestion, painful joints, chest congestion, etc.  So, I keep my wheat eating to a minimum and only have wheat every once in a great while.   (Pizza is my downfall.) 

If you want to read an interesting take on wheat, I recommend the following:

http://www.amazon.com/Wheat-Belly-Lose-Weight-Health/dp/1609611543

While I don't agree with everything in the book, there are some interesting highlights.  For instance, randomized controlled trials where one group was given a drug used to prevent drug addicts from craving drugs and the other given a placebo.  Both groups then ate wheat-based products.  The people on the drug ate much less than the people on placebo.  Why?   Modern wheat causes xorphins to be generated, which are pleasurable and cause people to overeat.  The drugs block that action.

If WHO really wants to condemn something, they should condemn high carb diets and particularly sugar.  Sugar causes many, many, many more cases of cancer than does meat.

Hi ctviggen,
no sugar for me, only Stevia (Powder and soon, I will also try the liquid form)
I read labels to avoid any form of sugar,
however, the food manufacturers can play trics on you
and use some fancy words,
but if I don't know a word, I avoid the product.

Guy 13

Early B.

« Reply #49 on: 1 Dec 2015, 08:28 pm »
My take is that WHO is completely clueless.  The studies are ALL epidemiological, meaning they prove correlation not causation.  The relative (not absolute) risk was incredibly small, on the order of 20% or so.   

WHO is anti-meat.  So, they make statements to support their anti-meat agenda.

It's important to separate one's personal opinions from the facts. It's common knowledge that excessive meat consumption leads to poor health outcomes. WHO is merely stating that too much meat leads to a higher risk of cancer. Not ground breaking at all. Just more confirmation from a reputable source (or at least as reputable as any other international health organization).   

rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio Consulting -
« Reply #50 on: 1 Dec 2015, 08:33 pm »
  Just not true. I eat according to my blood type which is "O" and lean organic is what I eat. Never felt better. No wheat, no dairy and life is good. My doctor is puzzled but after reading Eating for your Type by Dr Peter Adamo , he has changed his opinion.
  My blood tests are great. Before eating veggies mostly I was in poor health. One size does not fit all.

charles

FullRangeMan

• Facilitator
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #51 on: 1 Dec 2015, 08:41 pm »
The study is on processed meat only-ham, sausage, bologna etc
Regular meat in OK.

Early B.

« Reply #52 on: 1 Dec 2015, 08:46 pm »
  Just not true. I eat according to my blood type which is "O" and lean organic is what I eat. Never felt better. No wheat, no dairy and life is good. My doctor is puzzled but after reading Eating for your Type by Dr Peter Adamo , he has changed his opinion.
  My blood tests are great. Before eating veggies mostly I was in poor health. One size does not fit all.

charles

Your health improved as a result of positive dietary changes, not because you're eating in accordance with your blood type. There's no credible scientific body of evidence that supports the need to adopt a diet based on blood type.   

Early B.

« Reply #53 on: 1 Dec 2015, 08:50 pm »
The study is on processed meat only-ham, sausage, bologna etc
Regular meat in OK.

What is "regular meat?" It's all processed, unless you kill the chicken or catch the fish yourself and cook it.   

Guy 13

« Reply #54 on: 1 Dec 2015, 09:13 pm »
Hi all,
for now, I will restrain from commenting,
I will let you guys make comments on what you believe.
This topic is getting very interesting,
different views on what's good and what's not...
Keep going, this topic is getting hot !  :thumb:

Guy 13

Note: I hope someone will come up with a logical explanation
on why you need a different diet from different blood type ?????  :scratch:
I hope to learn a thing or two before this topic get quarantined...

FullRangeMan

• Facilitator
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #55 on: 1 Dec 2015, 09:20 pm »
There is a diet that changes the foods according the type of blood.

Phil A

« Reply #56 on: 1 Dec 2015, 09:22 pm »

Guy 13

« Reply #57 on: 1 Dec 2015, 09:23 pm »
There is a diet that changes the foods according the type of blood.

Hi FullRangeMan.
Are you saying:
Your diet should change or be matched with your type of blood ?
Is that what you are saying ?

Guy 13

Phil A

« Reply #58 on: 1 Dec 2015, 09:24 pm »
Here is some more info (I realize that not every expert in the field agrees with this theory) - https://www.drlam.com/blood_type_diet/

FullRangeMan

• Facilitator
« Reply #59 on: 1 Dec 2015, 09:25 pm »
What is "regular meat?" It's all processed, unless you kill the chicken or catch the fish yourself and cook it.
Here there is fresh meat that isnot processed pic below:
(I forget to before mention bacon and hamburger as processed meat.)