WHO inform processed meats cause cancer

FullRangeMan

• Facilitator
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
WHO inform processed meats cause cancer
« on: 2 Nov 2015, 08:33 am »
In a recent report to press WHO informed processed meats, as ham, sausages, bologna etc cause cancer.
The link between these products and cancer was higher in cases of bowel cancer, but also noted his connection with pancreatic and prostate cancer.
http://www.iarc.fr/en/media-centre/pr/2015/pdfs/pr240_E.pdf
For now WHO researchers considered not to have irrefutable data that unprocessed red meat causes cancer, although it probably do. As more studies may appear condemning the ingestion of this product, it is likely that soon red meat will be also declared as definitely carcinogenic to humans.
They are in the same class of cigars!
http://www.theguardian.com/society/2015/oct/26/bacon-ham-sausages-processed-meats-cancer-risk-smoking-says-who
According WHO just 50g of processed meat a day increase chances of developing bowel cancer by 18%. This is 2 slices of bacon or ham.
Products considered healthier as turkey breast, chicken sausage also are risk to health.
The universe of the survey were 800 people for 20 years.

thunderbrick

• Volunteer
  • I'm just not right!
Re: WHO inform processed meats cause cancer
« Reply #1 on: 2 Nov 2015, 12:40 pm »
Ah, bologna!   :lol:

Wayner

« Reply #2 on: 2 Nov 2015, 12:43 pm »
breathing air causes cancer....

thunderbrick

• Volunteer
  • I'm just not right!
« Reply #3 on: 2 Nov 2015, 01:14 pm »
An increased chance of 18% is not the same as causing cancer.   That's chicken feed.

kingdeezie

« Reply #4 on: 2 Nov 2015, 01:25 pm »
An increased chance of 18% is not the same as causing cancer.   That's chicken feed.

It's an 18 percent risk increase against the standard 5 percent risk that everyone has of developing colon cancer.

That means someone who eats bacon everyday, has a 6 percent chance of developing colon cancer in their lifetime.

RDavidson

« Reply #5 on: 2 Nov 2015, 02:53 pm »
Good grief. It drives me nuts when scientific studies are reinterpreted / only share part of the story in order to cause hysteria or to gain political footing in some way (ie. If we ate less red meat we'd lower health care costs and decrease climate change).
Fact of the matter is, there may be association between red meat (particularly processed meat) and cancer, but no clear causation has been established.
Just eat balanced diets, folks. That's really all there is to it.
http://examine.com/blog/scientists-just-found-that-red-meat-causes-cancer--or-did-they/

FullRangeMan

• Facilitator
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #6 on: 2 Nov 2015, 05:01 pm »
If I spend a week or so eat ham or bologna + mussarela sandwich in the breakfast I get various balls under the skin at the nape and behind the ears.
So something very bad these products have, but they are very inexpensive and easy to prepare.

RDavidson

« Reply #7 on: 2 Nov 2015, 05:35 pm »
Yes. Processed meats tend to be inexpensive.
Note, at least here in the States, nitrate and nitrite free processed meats (including organic) can be found at many/most grocery stores. However, these healthier processed meats also cost significantly more than the regular stuff, so the average American is unlikely to buy it. Essentially, only those who can afford to be health conscious, buy it.

smk

• Life's a bummer, then you pay taxes.
« Reply #8 on: 2 Nov 2015, 06:09 pm »
Next WHO'll be telling us its caused from mom, apple pie & chevy.

Wind Chaser

RDavidson

« Reply #10 on: 2 Nov 2015, 06:57 pm »
Next WHO'll be telling us its caused from mom, apple pie & chevy.

No! The problem is gluten.....every single case of cancer is caused by gluten. I'm surprised WHO overlooked this important fact. :lol:
https://youtu.be/Oht9AEq1798

Early B.

« Reply #11 on: 2 Nov 2015, 07:09 pm »
It's common knowledge (particularly in countries other than the US) that consumption of high amounts of meat is not healthy for a variety of reasons. Hundreds of longitudinal studies all across the globe generally arrive at the same conclusion regarding unhealthy meat consumption. So it doesn't matter whether scientists can prove beyond all doubt that meat causes cancer -- it's still not healthy to eat a lot of it. 

Folsom

« Reply #12 on: 2 Nov 2015, 07:17 pm »
It's common knowledge (particularly in countries other than the US) that consumption of high amounts of meat is not healthy for a variety of reasons. Hundreds of longitudinal studies all across the globe generally arrive at the same conclusion regarding unhealthy meat consumption. So it doesn't matter whether scientists can prove beyond all doubt that meat causes cancer -- it's still not healthy to eat a lot of it.

That's not very accurate, or at all.

The studies such as the Chinese study don't prove meat causes cancer in large amounts. They only show that a diet devoid of vegetables and fruits are more likely to cause cancer. The problem with the studies is they don't have anyone eating lots of vegetables and fruit while also consuming lots of meat. If they had that data they could make a conclusion on meat levels and cancer.

Furthermore I'll point out that most of the processed meats are pork based, at least any that are in high numbers to produce results such as the stated above. That's no surprise. Pork wrecks havoc on the digestive system. People who eat lots of pork produce considerably higher indican excretion (bad gut bacteria identifier) in urine. Not only that but the health community knows full well the body produces a bad immune response against pork in our bodies whether we eat it or have a heart valve replacement.

To counter the meat point, there's communities that only eat grass fed beef and butter, that has such low cancer levels they're studied.

« Last Edit: 2 Nov 2015, 09:59 pm by Folsom »

Wind Chaser

« Reply #13 on: 2 Nov 2015, 07:20 pm »
People accustomed to the diet of the western world rarely, if ever at all, die of old age.

orientalexpress

« Reply #14 on: 2 Nov 2015, 07:29 pm »
our life expectancy is lot longer Now then before maybe process meats got alot to do with also  :thumb:

Quiet Earth

« Reply #15 on: 2 Nov 2015, 07:32 pm »

randytsuch

« Reply #16 on: 2 Nov 2015, 07:43 pm »
There was an article in Time last week about this, I thought it was an interesting read.

Does anyone really think a hot dog is good for you  8)

To me, the question is how bad for you is it, and how much can you eat.

Randy

asliarun

« Reply #17 on: 2 Nov 2015, 07:45 pm »

Not sure what your definition of meat is, but from what little I know, people who eat significant amounts of seafood (such as the Japanese) live significantly longer than all other people.

To me, this flies directly in the face of the core vegan argument that meat is unhealthy. (The issue of causing pain to animals is a completely different argument). Quite frankly, I am on the fence on this issue. I appreciate both sides, and personally feel that it is less important to focus on how much meat we consume and more important to focus on how much vegetables and low sugar fruit we actually consume.

But "studies" like these are so annoying! They intentionally mislead. For example, if there is a 1 in million chance of being hit by lightning, and someone figure out that women wearing high heels have a 2 in million chance of getting hit by lightning, they will instead say, "Women wearing high heels have a 100% more chance of getting hit by lightning!", or even worse, "Women wearing high heels attract lightning strikes".

skunark

« Reply #18 on: 2 Nov 2015, 08:21 pm »
You might read this.. for a better perspective...
http://www.nytimes.com/2015/11/03/upshot/know-your-risks-but-meat-still-isnt-the-enemy.html?hpw&rref=upshot&action=click&pgtype=Homepage&module=well-region&region=bottom-well&WT.nav=bottom-well&_r=0

According to the article, at age 50 your chances to get colon cancer increases 18% from 2.7% to 3.2%, it's not an 18% chance, but a 3.2% chance.     One in five-ish 50 year-old do not have colon cancer nor would i expect 1 in 125 50 year-old have colon cancer.    I'm curious what element of the process meats cause the increase though... is it the nitrates commonly used to extend the shelf life? if so are there alternatives?   It is an increase to note, and I rarely eat processed meats as it is but probably reduce it even more...  Maybe just limit it to pastrami since that's "the most sensual of all the cured slated meats".

Jim

Folsom

« Reply #19 on: 2 Nov 2015, 10:08 pm »
    I'm curious what element of the process meats cause the increase though... is it the nitrates commonly used to extend the shelf life? if so are there alternatives?   It is an increase to note, and I rarely eat processed meats as it is but probably reduce it even more...  Maybe just limit it to pastrami since that's "the most sensual of all the cured slated meats".

Jim

Consider that the majority or processed meats are pork...

To me, the question is how bad for you is it, and how much can you eat.

Randy

Why not judge it based on some facts?