European bicycling river cruise recommendations?

Tone Depth

• Music Lover
    • SRLPE Wheel Works
European bicycling river cruise recommendations?
« on: 6 Jan 2015, 03:55 am »
My wife is interested in going on a river cruise in Europe, and I'd like to incorporate bicycling. I'm looking for recommendations for river cruises where you travel overnight on a boat/barge, and bicycle ride during the day, for both tour companies and tour locations. Thanks!

TomS

Re: European bicycling river cruise recommendations?
« Reply #1 on: 6 Jan 2015, 03:59 am »
My wife is interested in going on a river cruise in Europe, and I'd like to incorporate bicycling. I'm looking for recommendations for river cruises where you travel overnight on a boat/barge, and bicycle ride during the day, for both tour companies and tour locations. Thanks!
A couple options:
http://www.vbt.com/tourpage/bike-barge/
http://www.vikingrivercruises.com/

thunderbrick

• Volunteer
  • I'm just not right!
« Reply #2 on: 6 Jan 2015, 04:08 am »
Trier to Koblenz, the Rhine Gorge, Lake Constanz (Bodensee), the Southern Bavaria are not to be missed.

Rode them all in the mid-80s when I lived over there. My parents even brought their Schwinn Paramounts over and spent a summer cycling some of these routes.

Paris if you are suicidal……………………..

thunderbrick

• Volunteer
  • I'm just not right!
« Reply #3 on: 6 Jan 2015, 04:11 am »
BTW. Summer days in Germany are long.  You'd be crazy to ride the rivers at night.  So much to see!  Better to leave a day here and there for cycling, then reboard a ship.  And try not to miss the "Rhine in Flames!/Rhein in Flammen" cruises.    :o

Tone Depth

• Music Lover
    • SRLPE Wheel Works
« Reply #4 on: 9 Jan 2015, 04:50 am »
Thanks for the suggestions!

Since responses were limited, I Googled "best bicycling river cruise lines europe" and got plenty of hits, reviews and etc.

thunderbrick

• Volunteer
  • I'm just not right!
« Reply #5 on: 9 Jan 2015, 05:42 am »
PM me anytime, and we can talk about routes.  German roads are incredibly smooth for cycling and the drivers quite respectful, though I was hit by a VW once.   :o

charmerci

« Reply #6 on: 9 Jan 2015, 05:36 pm »
I've done quite a bit of bike touring in Europe - but I usually just ride and stop in the town and find a place for the night.

Hint, there's a bike path that follows the length of the Danube. It's very popular in the summer.