Quick question re: RS5 retrofits

fiveoclockfriday

Quick question re: RS5 retrofits
« on: 19 Jul 2014, 02:55 pm »
I am just now getting around to upgrading my Super 5s with the RS5 drivers. I have the drivers in from Louis. I have one question though, that I was hoping to ask you guys here before bugging Louis on the phone.

In the boxes with the drivers was a small strip of sort of foam material, with adhesive back. I removed the hemp drivers and didn't see anything like that. What am I supposed to do with it? It looks to seal something? Thanks!

Also, there actually weren't any instructions included; is there anything I should watch out for? Other than those strips it seems straightforward.

Canada Rob

• Industry Participant
    • Industry Participant
Re: Quick question re: RS5 retrofits
« Reply #1 on: 19 Jul 2014, 04:09 pm »
I am just now getting around to upgrading my Super 5s with the RS5 drivers. I have the drivers in from Louis. I have one question though, that I was hoping to ask you guys here before bugging Louis on the phone.

In the boxes with the drivers was a small strip of sort of foam material, with adhesive back. I removed the hemp drivers and didn't see anything like that. What am I supposed to do with it? It looks to seal something? Thanks!

Also, there actually weren't any instructions included; is there anything I should watch out for? Other than those strips it seems straightforward.
Hello fiveoclockfriday,
The old drivers should have the same material on the back, but it will be formed to the driver basket and not look at all like a strip.  The strip that came with your drivers needs to be stuck to the back of them so they can form a seal.  Make sure you get a good fit with no gap in the circumference.  Tighten the screws down gradually going in a criss cross alternating pattern, and don't rush it.  Allow the foam to compress at its own speed until the basket is seated nicely on the face of the speaker cabinet.  This may have to be done in stages over a few hours.  After a few days, check the screws for final tightness - snug is good.  Hope this helps.

fiveoclockfriday

Re: Quick question re: RS5 retrofits
« Reply #2 on: 19 Jul 2014, 06:19 pm »
Rob,
Thanks for your help; that's exactly what I needed.

- Eric