Copying My Music Database From Linux to Mac

ebag4

Copying My Music Database From Linux to Mac
« on: 2 Mar 2014, 03:42 pm »
I am in the process of building a Mac Mini music server.  I have a 2011 i5 machine with 8G of RAM that I now have running off a 12VDC battery.  I have purchased an Oyen external HDD (500G via firewire) enclosure for the Mac.  I am in the process of copying my music from a Linux machine (NMT similar to Popcorn hour unit) whose files exist on a directly connected Esata drive over the network to the Oyen drive on the Mac.  I am currently using Finder and simply copying and pasting from the Mac.  I have about 260G of Flac files currently on the Linux unit.  I started this yesterday simply copying the entire music folder, it had copied about 60G the last time I looked, then when I checked on it again several hours later it had stopped copying apparently due to the NMT losing communication on the network(?).  When I checked the drive on the Mac it showed that nothing had been copied, OK, back to the drawing board.  This time I added a new folder to the Mac called "music", I then started copying music folders one by one, this seemed to work as these folders continue to be available on the Mac (albeit with the Flac files being recognized as "Unix Executable File"), I then let groups of files be copied overnight.  I am nearly down to 200G left for the remaining files (a large group copy) and it is still telling me 2 days of copying left.  Am I doing something incorrectly or is this simply how long it takes. 

Any clues on this will be greatly appreciated.

Best,
Ed