What would you do? Flac/MBP/MBA

mr_bill

What would you do? Flac/MBP/MBA
« on: 8 Feb 2014, 06:42 pm »
I have all my files on Flac - approx 70gb

I'm thinking of getting a MacBook Pro or Air and using it via USB to my dac.

1.  Pro or Air (I'll get a 13")
2.  How do I deal with my Flac collection?  Do I have to convert them all , that doesn't sound fun.

I'll probably use Audirvana or something like that too.

What would you do?

newzooreview

Re: What would you do? Flac/MBP/MBA
« Reply #1 on: 8 Feb 2014, 07:33 pm »
I have all my files on Flac - approx 70gb

I'm thinking of getting a MacBook Pro or Air and using it via USB to my dac.

1.  Pro or Air (I'll get a 13")
2.  How do I deal with my Flac collection?  Do I have to convert them all , that doesn't sound fun.

I'll probably use Audirvana or something like that too.

What would you do?

I'll share my experience after several USB DACs and computer setups:

1. Get a MacMini not a MacBook. Getting rid of the RF and power supply demands from the screen = better sound. Just connect to it via built-in screen sharing over your network. You don't need a screen, keyboard, or mouse attached.

2. Pick up one of the Tranquility USB DACs on sale here on AudioCircle. It plays only 16/44.1 files, but the Mac will downsample the Hi-Resolution files just fine and they sound great.

3. Yes use Audirvana Plus. Do not use iTunes integrated mode. Index your library in iTunes, but cue songs into Audirvana's playlist using the + button on the bottom left. Audirvana will let you directly view the iTunes index file ("Music" folder at bottom left of screen that pops up when you click +). Your iTunes playlists will be available, and you can search the index and add songs to the cue list in Audirvana. Then Audirvana is streaming directly from your dedicated external FireWire disk with the music on it. Use a FireWire disk (Oyendigital) so your disk is not using the USB bus that your DAC is using.

4. Contact Eric Hider at dB Audio for information on tweaks, upgrades to the Mac Mini (system config., battery power). He's worked on computer USB DAC audio for years, tried a big variety of non-Mac configurations, and is happy to give advice.

Good luck and happy listening.