Starting From Scratch - Need Advice On Using Mac Laptop As Audio Source

Slapshot

As the topic says, I'm completely starting from scratch here. After attending a couple audio shows over the past 18 months and noting how many exhibitors were using Mac laptops as the source for their audio systems, and some initial research, it seems clear that this is rapidly replacing expensive cd sources as the option of choice. I could really use your help in identifying how to optimally get started.

My initial options are either purchasing a refurbished, older, Mac Pro laptop from one of the established refurb vendors, or purchasing a new MacBook Air. I would prefer the older Mac Pro option, but simply do not know the horsepower requirements for use as an audio source, or whether the best music software programs for the Mac play well with older operating systems. Also, Apogee Duet 2 DAC has been highly recommended to me, but while I know audio system DAC's fairly well, I have no knowledge in the MAC audio world.

So, to sum things up, what do I need to start, what are the best options, how expensive a proposition is this? Any help would be greatly appreciated, even if it is just to direct me to an article that will cover this, in depth.

JC

JohnR

I can understand the use of laptops for show situations as described but I'm not sure that I would go for a laptop as a dedicated home music server. Laptops tend to be more expensive and less reliable. Is there a reason for you to prefer a laptop over a (possibly headless) mac mini? Perhaps that would be the place to start.

This article doesn't answer your specific questions but it does cover the basics and might serve as a starting point to help you get up to speed on Mac-based computer audio: http://www.hifizine.com/2012/06/computer-audio-on-the-mac-getting-started/

Churlish

Instead of selling it, I had used my aging 2.1 GHz as my Server when I upgraded to a newer Laptop.

Sometimes I didn't like the 15in screen being there, but overall I thought it was very cost effective since the resale value of the mac was so low.

applesource

I run a Macbook 5,1 with a 64 gb ssd installed and a 500gb external hdd attached via usb. My out is usb to a Musical Fidelity V-Link II on to a Beresford Bushmaster Dac and then to a Marantz Pearl Lite integrated amp. I use  Audivana Plus  to control Itunes in hogmode. Previously I used a mac mini in the same system and I can't detect any difference in sound quality. The macbook screen means I don't have to turn the tv on to see the itunes library. I have also employed many of the tips in the hifizine article referenced above. 

AllynW

The link JohnR posted is a perfect place to start.  My other piece advise is to stick with new hardware, if you can.  Many older Mac's have limited RAM memory upgrade capabilities.

mcgsxr

I am far from an authority, but I have to ask - are you looking to run straight Redbook (16/44.1) files, or do you aspire to hi rez?

The latter is where the RAM and processor power start to ramp up, from what I have seen.

I ran a headless Mini for a while, and it was fine for what I used it for.  The simple ability to control it via VNC or other apps was handy too.