a recommend on a row machine

2bigears

a recommend on a row machine
« on: 6 Feb 2013, 12:42 am »
 :D  hey everybody in fitness land .. looking for a good name in a row machine in around 500 or 1000 bucks .. will that buy a good machine with a good name ?? thks for any help ....Pat in 4 feet of snow ,,,,need to row my way outta here !!!! :D :D

kevin360

• án sǫngr ek svelta
Re: a recommend on a row machine
« Reply #1 on: 6 Feb 2013, 02:30 am »
My WaterRower was around $1200 if I remember correctly. I highly recommend it. Rowing is great exercise!

soundbitten1

« Reply #2 on: 6 Feb 2013, 03:24 am »
I have a Kettler Coach, bought it used a couple of years ago. It's smooth and provides a good work out. No complaints.

http://www.zoostores.com/shop/kettler-coach-rowing-machine.html#

jmc207

« Reply #3 on: 6 Feb 2013, 04:25 am »
The Concept 2 Model D is very highly regarded.
http://www.amazon.com/Concept2-Model-Indoor-Rowing-Machine/dp/B008R74PRW/ref=pd_sim_b_2

Also, I think I used a Water Rower at a local gym about 8 years ago. Was quite pleased with how it felt.
Wonder if this cheaper brand would work as well?
http://www.amazon.com/ProRower-H2O-RX-750-Home-Series/dp/B000WMO8G8/ref=cm_lmf_tit_11

WC

« Reply #4 on: 6 Feb 2013, 05:37 am »
The Concept 2 Model D is very highly regarded.
http://www.amazon.com/Concept2-Model-Indoor-Rowing-Machine/dp/B008R74PRW/ref=pd_sim_b_2

Also, I think I used a Water Rower at a local gym about 8 years ago. Was quite pleased with how it felt.
Wonder if this cheaper brand would work as well?
http://www.amazon.com/ProRower-H2O-RX-750-Home-Series/dp/B000WMO8G8/ref=cm_lmf_tit_11

I use the Concept 2 rower. Good exercise.

Emil

« Reply #5 on: 18 Feb 2016, 06:38 pm »

Bringing this topic back to life since I'm in the market.

Anyone else have an opinion?

woodsyi

• Volunteer
  • Always Look on the Bright Side of Life!
« Reply #6 on: 18 Feb 2016, 08:29 pm »
I have had stuff over the years.  My experience is that most home exercise machines are not worth the money (good ones are too expensive and cheap ones are crap) and good ones eat up space.  Join a gym but a cheap one that lots of people overlook.  Municipal rec centers are very reasonably priced and well equipped.  Hell, you are already subsidizing it with your taxes anyway.  My county has 255/4months, 569/year or 159/25 visits.  Equipments and facilities are first rate.  Private gyms are more expensive and basically function as meat market for the most part and I assume you are not looking for that if you want home machines. 

I keep a couple of resistance bands and work out with them when I am stuck in the house.  You can do a lot.  And they take up no room.

Take a look. http://www.band-exercises.net/

xdisc

« Reply #7 on: 24 Feb 2016, 02:04 pm »
I'll second the Concept 2. My wife and I have had one for over 10 years.
Personally I hate the thing but when the snow and ice keep me off my bike I will use it.
Also I'll hop on for 5-10 min as a warm up before I ride outside when its cold.

Chris Adams

« Reply #8 on: 24 Feb 2016, 02:25 pm »
Another vote for Concept 2.  I have one and use it regularly.  Very good overall workout.

Mark Korda

• Dawkus
« Reply #9 on: 24 Feb 2016, 02:42 pm »
Hi 2Bigears, I used to work for a gym in Portland Maine. My buddies owned it. Part of my job was to work on work out equipment in other gyms and homes. The Concept 2 rower was the best machine, quality wise than any of the Life Cycles or steppers ect.. anyone could tell. They were the Rolls Royce of rowers. They even published a national or world wide publication for users to keep informed on the machine, like a club. That was in the early 90's. If you could get one used I bet today you could find all the parts.
   You can go hard and you can go easy. You can get a light aerobic workout or invert your hands on the grip and do Chuck Norris type exercises that can build you up also, you've seen his devise on TV I bet.
   One thing I always thought of inventing for better use of a rower was a seat that prevented you from leaning forward to gain extra pull when your really going at it hard. Your emotion of the workout makes you forget your perfect rowing form and everyone tends to do this, lean forward for extra pull.
     I would get off the Concept 2 and it would take me a half hour before I could straiten my back out. I had cheated and used bad form. My seat idea was to have a back on the seat with some sort of straps or a (breast plate) type of pad that would prevent this back strain and make you use all your other muscles that perfect rowing form does. Maybe some one has made this devise today.
   The Concept 2 was the next most solidly built thing in the gym next to a solid cast iron dumbell. If you want to row this is the machine to get, Mark Korda...1991. I don't know what they look like today without a google seach, but if they look like the old, buy one!

bentconvert

« Reply #10 on: 24 Feb 2016, 04:14 pm »
One more vote for the Concept 2. We own one and it is a great machine as stated above. I think the main thing to change over the years is the monitor. The machine itself is as I remember it from a YMCA membership over 20 years ago.

Emil

« Reply #11 on: 25 Feb 2016, 06:31 pm »
Thanks guys

What about comfort? Whenever I use my wife's exercise bike my butt hurts and circulation to my 3 piece set  is cut off causing a numbing feeling. Not good

Nordkapp

« Reply #12 on: 27 Feb 2016, 12:49 pm »
Thanks guys

What about comfort? Whenever I use my wife's exercise bike my butt hurts and circulation to my 3 piece set  is cut off causing a numbing feeling. Not good
CONCEPT 2. I ordered a custom cut 3" piece of memory foam plus I wear my padded cycling shorts and that helped the pain and numbness quite a bit. That being said it just takes a lot of time to get used to it. I will typically do 3 or 4 -15 minute pieces with a few minutes rest and walking around between each. Seems to work for me. It is visible to the left in this pic.