Tempesta cable experiences

jonbee

Tempesta cable experiences
« on: 2 Mar 2012, 08:22 pm »
FWIW, I thought I'd share my experiences with speaker cables on my Tempestas.
When I got them, I was using Clear Day double shotguns, which I had been using, after much trial and error, with my VMPS RM30s, where they tamed some of the peakiness on the upper mids. On the Tempestas, however, the sound was too tame and subdued. Afer some study I tried Anti-cables (good, but a bit too zippy on top and lacking some resolution), and the Zu Libtec, a copper/silver hybrid. Those opened up the soundstage a lot, and seemed like a good choice, but after a time I felt the top end was still  a bit too "zippy", and since that was not the case with the Clear Days I felt it was not the speakers' problem. I decided to look at cables further.
I've come to appreciate the smooth and detailed sound of Ohno Continuous Cast (OCC) copper wire, so I looked at Harmonic Tech and Acoustic Zen, both of whom use six-nines pure OCC copper (the companies share co-founders) in their most popular models. I decided to try Acoustic Zen Satori Shotguns (7 ga.!, $1188/pr. retail), and I'm really glad I did. The top end zippiness is totally gone, the treble balance notably more natural, the soundstage depth is greater, and the bass is faster, more powerful and punchy. The "power" range really comes to life with these cables, without adding obfuscation or bloat!
The overall presentation sounds smoother, more cohesive and more organic, while giving up no detail at all.
The only negative I can relate is that these are massively thick and stiff cables (the shotgun version in particular is huge), so routing and WAF is more problematical than the others mentioned.
Acoustic Zen has sold a lot of these cables over many years, for good reason I think, so there is a steady supply of used Satoris, Satori Shotgun, and Hologram cables at very attractive prices for the quality on offer (1/3 to 1/2 retail price). Harmonic Tech and Analysis Plus Solo Crystal also use OCC copper, and they might be a good option as well.
I'm sure there is something else out there better, and as always, YMMV, but I'm very pleased with what I'm hearing- particularly at the price, in the context of an otherwise fine system.
Once again, the Tempestas clearly display every change and improvement.
« Last Edit: 5 Mar 2012, 07:14 pm by jonbee »

music lover

Re: Tempesta cable experiences
« Reply #1 on: 3 Mar 2012, 02:37 am »
jonbee, I have been getting good results with Analysis Plus Oval Nines. It has good balance overall with good bass.

I thought I'd share this. Thanks for sharing.

jonbee

« Reply #2 on: 3 Mar 2012, 05:17 pm »
I took a look at those too. They do look like winners.
I chose the Zens for my system because of their reputation, the OCC copper, but mostly from other users comments which suggested they would take things in the specific direction I wanted to go with my system. They achieved that and much more.
I move the Zu cables to my office system, where I use Volent VL-2s powered by a Magnum Dynalab receiver. That system had too much bass for such a small room and I was pleased to discover that the lighter, brighter character of the Zus fixed that problem pretty neatly.
As always, matchups are key.
Its good to record these kind of experiences, particularly with speakers having the resolution the Ts have. The final seasoning really can make or break the dish.
« Last Edit: 3 Mar 2012, 08:25 pm by jonbee »

briank

« Reply #3 on: 28 Mar 2012, 08:54 pm »
I have a pair of Rick's Prestigio speakers and they too are very revealing.   So much so, I've had to make some gear and cable changes.   I tried cables from Blue Jeans, Emotiva, Zu's Libtec & Mission, older Tara Labs, AQ Diamondback and King Cobra, DH labs and probably a few others that I can't think of right now.   All of these were lacking in one area or another, some had a bit of grain, some too bright, some too flat and lacked detail.    I finally found happiness with AQ Columbia interconnects and AQ Gibraltar speaker cables.   I'm now getting very well balanced sound, no brightness, no grain, and very good detail.    These cables are a bit expensive but I was able to get some good deals by buying them used on Audiogon.   I just wanted to share my experiences in case anyone else was on the search for good cables to compliment Rick's speakers. 

jonbee

« Reply #4 on: 28 Mar 2012, 10:43 pm »
I have found that with the Selahs that cable selection is very important, and very rewarding if you get a good matchup.
I've tried a number of ICs as well, and found the Zu Event IC, an all silver top line cable that is very nice indeed. Very detailed, yet rich. Unfortunately it looks like they are no longer sold.
Power cords are next, and the former top line Zu Mother sounds great. I'm using a Mojo Cross Helix in one position now. It has great bass and is smooth and natural, but a tad laid back. Great for the price, though. I've got a Mojo RPC power cord coming today that I'm looking forward to trying.
Have fun!

kip_

« Reply #5 on: 30 Mar 2012, 02:15 pm »
In my Selah 2-channel system with SA-2s, I heard zero difference between Rat Shack interconnects and some Sweet Spot Reveal $125/pair interconnects. I am guessing that my first pair already had low capacitance and/or inductance. Then again, my system is built to a budget and not as revealing as you folks. My cable runs are also short. 1m from the source to the subwoofer and 1m from subwoofer to integrated amp.

Usual disclaimers apply - Your mileage may vary/in my experience/etc

rbfletch

« Reply #6 on: 30 Mar 2012, 03:05 pm »
I wish all recommendations regarding cables(and yes even electronics) would be accompanied by double-blind test results with multiple listeners.  With cables, Just have a 3rd party play different music types switching cables randomly without the listeners knowing if/when it was done.  Jonbee, you could do this with your group of friends that evaluated the VPMS vs Selah.  Have everyone quantify the percentage improvement they heard...then one could make a cost/benefit decision on upgrading.  I personally think the Emperor's New Clothes effect comes into play too often.

jonbee

« Reply #7 on: 30 Mar 2012, 04:32 pm »
I wish all recommendations regarding cables(and yes even electronics) would be accompanied by double-blind test results with multiple listeners.  With cables, Just have a 3rd party play different music types switching cables randomly without the listeners knowing if/when it was done.  Jonbee, you could do this with your group of friends that evaluated the VPMS vs Selah.  Have everyone quantify the percentage improvement they heard...then one could make a cost/benefit decision on upgrading.  I personally think the Emperor's New Clothes effect comes into play too often.
This subject has been hashed to death hundreds of times, covering all the 44 years I've been in the hobby, and my opinion on DBT remains the same.
How well does group DBT help an individual wine lover choose which cabernet he will like? Is it really any use at all answering this question? If you can answer that question definitively, I'll consider it a valid approach.
 My own opinion is the DBT approach misses the essential point- that each of the "receivers" (listeners) is very different, and auditory sensitivities, learned responses and tastes vary hugely. Thus no one person's reaction, nor in particular some statistical measurement of a group of reactions, will predict how any one listener will react to something. You're looking for objective truth from a highly personal, subjective phenomenon.
DBT may be a fun game for some, but it will never answer the first question I posed, IMO. When it comes to helping make an individual's choices on final seasoning of the stew, I don't  think DBT offers anything.
For me, the most useful info is a detailed description of the context of the opinion, both equipment and personal tastes,  and some indication of the experience level of the reviewer. I'll sort through this to get an idea of how closely his context matches mine. Even then I only give one such opinion limited weight. If I encounter several matching opinions, I start feeling a bit more confident in using the info.

rbfletch

« Reply #8 on: 30 Mar 2012, 05:38 pm »
You are correct....i agree with you.  But I still wish more DBT's(or side by sides) were done.   Far and away, the best DBT(almost) I ever participated in was at Sigfried Linkwitz's home where he compared the Orion with the Pluto....by pressing a button to switch.   Two very impressive sounding speakers.

Photon46

« Reply #9 on: 31 Mar 2012, 12:31 am »
. I've got a Mojo RPC power cord coming today that I'm looking forward to trying.

If you get a chance, post your impressions of the Mojo. I've got one of their early version ribbon power cords and think it's an extremely fine cable sounding for the money.

jonbee

« Reply #10 on: 1 Apr 2012, 01:19 am »
If you get a chance, post your impressions of the Mojo. I've got one of their early version ribbon power cords and think it's an extremely fine cable sounding for the money.
I did like it a lot. The RPC-3 is very powerful sounding and open yet neutral. I posted a review of sorts here:
http://www.audioasylum.com/audio/cables/messages/15/155572.html
I think it is a keeper.

Carl V

« Reply #11 on: 1 Apr 2012, 04:13 am »
You are correct....i agree with you.  But I still wish more DBT's(or side by sides) were done.   Far and away, the best DBT(almost) I ever participated in was at Sigfried Linkwitz's home where he compared the Orion with the Pluto....by pressing a button to switch.   Two very impressive sounding speakers.

I agree, I too have been to SL Corta Madera residence as well as rented a Sky Ranch vacation
5 years ago.  Listening blindly helps with the Emperors clothing.  Comparing & contrasting music
is done often....and we should do it more often with our stereos.
Simply play a good mono recording & switch back & forth with the balance...all that changes
is the wire.  You take Soundstage & imaging off the table.  You focus on Tone & timbre.

Consider this.  At one time most all Symphony Orchestra auditions were done sighted.
Biases existed & discrimination abounded. When many Orchestras started using a screen
to obscure the performer, more females were admitted into the ranks & as well as people
of color.  Age no longer indicated better playing ability.  Physical appearances didn't influence
the selection group.

DBT is fraught with pitfalls. And I am not advocating SBT testing exclusively.  But try it.
We hear with our eyes more often than we might like to admit imho, ymmv

tomagardner

« Reply #12 on: 2 Apr 2012, 08:12 pm »
That's why they now do wine tasting "blind" too. 
Although I have no need for anyone to do the evaluation for me.  I'll do my own.
This subject has been hashed to death hundreds of times, covering all the 44 years I've been in the hobby, and my opinion on DBT remains the same.
How well does group DBT help an individual wine lover choose which cabernet he will like? Is it really any use at all answering this question? If you can answer that question definitively, I'll consider it a valid approach.
 My own opinion is the DBT approach misses the essential point- that each of the "receivers" (listeners) is very different, and auditory sensitivities, learned responses and tastes vary hugely. Thus no one person's reaction, nor in particular some statistical measurement of a group of reactions, will predict how any one listener will react to something. You're looking for objective truth from a highly personal, subjective phenomenon.
DBT may be a fun game for some, but it will never answer the first question I posed, IMO. When it comes to helping make an individual's choices on final seasoning of the stew, I don't  think DBT offers anything.
For me, the most useful info is a detailed description of the context of the opinion, both equipment and personal tastes,  and some indication of the experience level of the reviewer. I'll sort through this to get an idea of how closely his context matches mine. Even then I only give one such opinion limited weight. If I encounter several matching opinions, I start feeling a bit more confident in using the info.

cstory

• Seaching for clues
« Reply #13 on: 3 Apr 2012, 01:56 pm »
Do you eat your meals blind as well? You certainly wouldn't want to have the presentation or looks of the food influence your sense of taste.

Everytime someone mentions cables the whole DBT thing gets brought up... Get over it.  :roll:

This is a hobby and one's selection of their audio equipment is for their own personal enjoyment. The preference of one set of speakers, electronics, wires and cables is purely subjective, and unless you listen blindfolded or never turn on the lights in your room, you are going to have to look at the equipment, therefor the looks of a component is a valid as it would be if you were shopping for furniture.

As such, personal expression of preference are valid as a guide or starting place and I think they are instructive. It is still up to the individual to either validate or dismiss the opinons with their own listening.  :)

Chuck

That's why they now do wine tasting "blind" too. 
Although I have no need for anyone to do the evaluation for me.  I'll do my own.

tomagardner

« Reply #14 on: 3 Apr 2012, 04:29 pm »
Ha ha.  No conversation allowed?   :roll:
Actually, I prefer that my speakers are heard and not seen.
And yes, some restaurants do serve food in the dark.
Whatever floats your boat. 

cstory

• Seaching for clues
« Reply #15 on: 3 Apr 2012, 06:52 pm »
Conversation is fine and welcome.

Dismissing a post that is clearly a personal opinion about what they heard becuase it wasn't done with a DBT is not a conversation. It is simply a statement that does nothing to further the discussion.   

If someone had a different experience or opinions about cables and choose to write about it. Then it's a conversation.

Myself, personally I have stayed with the basic cheap interconnects in my system, and use Nordost Flatwires for my speakers (their cheapest). It's not that I don't think that better cables don't make a difference, I think they do. But I think their contribution is relatively subtle compared to the rest of the electronics and the speakers. In my system I need to save to upgrade the electronics so it's question of resource allocation.

Cheers,

Chuck

navin

« Reply #16 on: 4 Apr 2012, 02:35 am »
Do you eat your meals blind as well? You certainly wouldn't want to have the presentation or looks of the food influence your sense of taste.

Blind tests are done to ensure that other biases (brand, colour, size) of the equipment does NOT influence the decision and only the sound does.

I dont know what you guys define s blind or double blind. I sit in left field (in India) where those with good equipment and the desire to evalute these are few and far between.

My Brother in Law (sister's husband) lives in Singapore. My family visit about once a year. My BIL is what one would define as an "audiophile". He rolls his own cable using stock wire from Belden and others. He builds his own amps and changes tubes etc. and he has a bedroom dedicated to this stereo. I am an illterate novice. His current system is now stable (I think) and I believe (my sister tells me) the tinkering has stopped (after about 10 years).

Last year when I visited him I noticed his system was sounding positively "fatter" or "well rounded" and more 'involving' to me. So I asked him what he did and he scratched his head and said "nothing". Then in a eureka moment he said something like "I changed from xxx brand of EL34 to yyy brand of 6550". He was surprised that I noticed (given that my previous listen was a year ago) a change. I was surprised that the changes he had made were not more radical (than just a change of tubes). But there you go. If a set of tubes can mae a difference I am sure cables do too; and if one was to evaluate the most suitable cable (for your taste and with your music) would one not want to eliminate all non-aural prejudices?

On the subject of wine, India has never been on the wine map. In fact Indian wine has the reputation of being quite ordinary. A reputed hotel (The Mumbai Taj - some of you might remember this hotel from the terrorist attacks in Nov 2008) had a wine tasting (all the big wine guys were invited) where the labels of the bottles were removed. A local wine won the day. Suffce to say that the "wine guys" were all a little embarrassed becuase on numerous occasions they had bashed this wineyard for it's poor quality, taste, flavour, bouquet and however else you evaluate wine.

Blind/Double Blind/Triple Blind (if there is such a term) is an attempt to remove the "labels". Sometimes, just maybe sometimes, the Emperor is naked and if he is wouldn't we like to know?

pslate

« Reply #17 on: 16 Apr 2012, 06:28 pm »
Even though I have ported Verita speakers, I thought they were close enough cousins to post my impressions here. I recently added Virtue Audio Nirvana cables (on sale now too  8)) to my system. Right now everything is great, I'm at the stage where I really don't want to mess with anything. Is that due to the cables? I am not certain, but I'm at the point where I'm really happy. I bought a Dodd modded SDS-254, which is super nice, creates unreal amounts of bass. I heard nice bass right after a test tone swept just above 20 hz. My speakers have the flat high end response, -3 db treble was the final piece in the puzzle for me. Also quick shout out to Virtue, they are very pleasant to work with, and I bet their amps would work very well with Selah speakers (other Tripath amps sounded great). I also have the gut feeling that a high powered tube, or hybrid amp would  work with Selah speakers very well too. The two things that jump out at me about Selah after a few years of being a customer, which I did not pick up right away, is that Rick's speakers are very easy to drive, it is very interesting to compare impedance plots, and that they can take a lot of clean power. Anyhow warmth really flatters the Verita setup. In short both Virtue and Selah are awesome :thumb:

happyrabbit

« Reply #18 on: 18 Apr 2012, 03:08 am »
I have a MTWW design based on the RAAL from RICK.  The mid range is the scan-speak 4'' paper Illuminator.   I have found Audio Magic Liquid Air (speakers + digital + rca)  + MOJO Helix PC work very well for me.   To be honest I found upgrading my DAC to the OCTAVE + Vanity93 reclocker  was a more dramatic step than the cables.  Both upgrades cost @ the same.    I am not talking a dramatic change but u can instantly hear the difference...  YMMV

Dwight