From Apogee to ?????

lincolnmat

From Apogee to ?????
« on: 9 Dec 2019, 07:15 pm »
Hello all. Discovered GR Research through the Tuesday Tech videos on New Record Day. I've watched all the videos and have been reading many topics here over the last couple weeks.

I began my fix with Magneplanar 1Cs and then moved to ribbon III models. For the last 3 years I have been using Apogee Stages based on falling in love with the Apogee Divas in the late 80s. My speakers are getting long in the tooth and the bass panels are not holding tightness, so they may need to be retired. I still like Maggies, but would like to maximize the ability to share my music with more than two inline chairs.

I am very interested in Danny's open baffle designs that seem to be closer to what I am used to in avoiding the sound of a box.

My room is 12x18 with 7.5 foot ceilings. I have Audio Research pre and phono along with an Oppo 205 for a DAC. My amplifier is a Rogue Audio Medusa - a Class D 200/400 watt amp which seems to be overkill for the efficiency of these speakers. I also have a REL sub, but eventually plan to just use it for Home Theater.

With my planar background, I am most interested in the speakers that use Neo drivers. Mostly thinking of the Super Minis or Super 7 once Neo10s become available again. I'm wondering if my room size would affect the choice. Of course the Line Force sounds perfect, but I just don't have the room and don't want to jump into the deep end. The NX-Oticas sound interesting, but after 30 years of planars I'm unsure if I can go back to cones - even without a box.

For music I listen to about everything  - rock, classical, jazz, and pipe organ.

Any comments or recommendations?

Thanks in advance,

Matt

THROWBACK

Re: From Apogee to ?????
« Reply #1 on: 9 Dec 2019, 09:17 pm »
I assembled a pair of open-baffle LS-9 speakers about three years ago now (parts supplied by Danny; carpentry performed locally; assembly by me and a friend) and it is the equal of any speaker I have ever heard. I also have a pair of the Rhythmik subs to supplement the bass. I have been enamored of the open-baffle sound for most of my life, starting with double KLH-9s, through Maggies (Tympani 4; 20s), Acoustat 4s, and even plasmas. These beat them all. I took some friends with me to hear a $1M system a couple of weeks ago and we all agreed that my system sounded better - - more open, more delicate, more nuanced, better imaging, and more "there" sounding. No I did not bribe them, and no, they are not that nice.

Of course you are listening to a system not just speakers and I have paid a lot of attention to all parts of it. But the speaker is sensitive enough to let you listen to the effects of the tweaks.

These are the last full-sized speakers I will ever buy.

mlundy57

• Industry Participant
« Reply #2 on: 9 Dec 2019, 09:28 pm »
You can use either the Super 7s or the Super Minis on top of dual servo subs in that room. If you have the mone go for the Super 7s

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
« Reply #3 on: 9 Dec 2019, 09:41 pm »
You could start with the Super Mini and then move up to the Super 7 later if you wanted to.  The base/bass section is the same on both speakers - dual 12 inch powered OB woofers.  So you could get the Super Mini's up and running for less cost, and then just re-use the Neo10 and Neo3 in the Super 7 later.  You'd only need 3 additional Neo10 drivers to make that upgrade, plus a different baffle of course. 

mlundy57

• Industry Participant
« Reply #4 on: 9 Dec 2019, 10:38 pm »
That would be three additional Neo10s per speaker, six total

mkane

« Reply #5 on: 9 Dec 2019, 11:55 pm »

And you might not need to go up the ladder. The Super Mini's are room filling in a big way. Not to mention the fact there are zero Neo 10's out there.

corndog71

• Some people call me Rob.
« Reply #6 on: 10 Dec 2019, 01:09 am »
Hearing the HAL active crossover version of the Super Minis really impressed me.  They were holographic and competed extremely well with systems costing tens of thousands more!  They sounded even better than my Super7’s!  Granted, I’ve been dealing with room limitations and tube preamp issues.  Once I get the right room and optimal gear I’ll be better off.  Still, I could’ve easily lived with the Super Minis and saved some money.

lincolnmat

« Reply #7 on: 10 Dec 2019, 03:14 am »
Thanks for the comments so far guys! After I posted my question I had a short talk with Danny. He suggested the mini - 12" woofer combination. He said my room was a large Texas bedroom. :lol:  Your comments are really driving the home the point that this is the correct way to start.

I am not worried about the current limitation of Neo 10 supply, as I'm thinking 6 months out at this point. I'm just trying to plan what I intend to do. I can wait until he gets a stable supply. It sounds like it is just a matter of time, not whether it will happen or not.

Matt

Danny Richie

« Reply #8 on: 10 Dec 2019, 04:36 am »
Hey Matt,

No your room is a small Texas bedroom.  :lol:

lincolnmat

« Reply #9 on: 10 Dec 2019, 10:23 am »
Yes, that is what you said. I messed up the joke somewhere between my brain and fingers.

Matt

Captainhemo

« Reply #10 on: 11 Dec 2019, 05:50 pm »
Remember, the Super Mini is only 6.25"  wide at the front baffle  vs the  15.5"    from wing to wing   of the Super 7's.  I know how well the  Super 7's image even with that wide    face...  I  can't  wait  to hear the Super  MIni's..   Have  a  set of drivers  here  to build  a pair out one of these  days.

Don was  just  down    at  Dany's  recently  and   he  was pretty impressed  with the  Super  Mini's and he   is very  famaliar with  the  Super 7's here.

jay

lincolnmat

« Reply #11 on: 17 Feb 2020, 02:23 pm »
Really appreciate all the thoughts. I listened and then tried to be patient. That only works for so long.

The continued unavailability of Neo 10s has me thinking of alternatives. The recent reviews by Tyson and the New Record Day videos have me a bit anxious.

Tyson did mention Apogees in a reply to one of his reviews. He was right on with the sound as I experience it. Slightly metallic and on the edge of harsh. But they also have a warm bass sound for the bass they provide - more full than my previous Magneplanars. I have been experimenting with adding resistors (NOT Sandcast!) and am getting tired of the speakers needing tweaking to that and to keep the bass panels from loosening on a regular basis. From the comments I infer that as far as fuller lows the ranking would be Super Mini < NX-Otica < Super 7 < Line Force < NX-treme. Does that sound about right?

For this reason I am questioning the Super Mini or any derivation of that. Both reviews mention that they are not as full sounding. As to building the Super Mini and then reusing the drivers in Super 7s, I can't see that. The Super Minis would require H Frame OB Subs and not being a wood worker myself, the expense of buying two subwoofer flatpacks that would then not be needed is something I wouldn't want to do - better to spend the money up front on something I would be happy with long term.

The NX-Otica and NX-treme are available today, but since they both require the OB subs, the price for them is actually $3,000 more than the list price once you add the subs. That gets you in the ballpark of the Super 7 which doesn't need the additional space and expense of the subs. My space is pretty tight in my speaker area with my amp and PS Audio Powerplant and the power supply/air pump for my SOTA Star Sapphire turntable.

I am hoping HAL will be at Axpona this year so I can at least hear the active crossover version of the Super Mini. I may just need to add a pilgrimage to Iowa Park, TX to my next trip to see my daughter in Nashville - at least it's closer than going from Detroit.

Matt

mlundy57

• Industry Participant
« Reply #12 on: 17 Feb 2020, 02:55 pm »
The Super 7 has the dual OB subs also. They are just built in.

lincolnmat

« Reply #13 on: 17 Feb 2020, 03:04 pm »
Exactly! I meant not needing the expense of the separate H Frames.

Matt

corndog71

• Some people call me Rob.
« Reply #14 on: 17 Feb 2020, 08:09 pm »
Regardless of whatever you use above the subs, the dual OB subs are well worth getting.  They’re also a lot easier to move than a full cabinet Super 7.  Another option would be the NX Ottica MTMs

HAL

• Industry Contributor
« Reply #15 on: 1 Mar 2020, 08:36 pm »
HAL will be at AXPONA2020 with The Monoliths (fully 3-way active DSP version of the Super Mini's) in the Danville Signal room 358. 

Hope to see folks there for a listen.

The info is here for anyone with questions:

https://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=167896.0