Beowulf - What did you think?

Bigfish

Beowulf - What did you think?
« on: 8 Mar 2008, 11:17 pm »
My wife and I watched "Beowulf" on DVD this afternoon.  The movie was done like a super cartoon and starred Anthony Hopkins, Ray Winstone, Robin Wright Penn, John Malkovich and Angelina Jolie.  While I would not rate it as a must see I found the movie to be quite entertaining.  I would rate it at 7 to 7.5 stars out of 10. 

For those that have seen "Beowulf" how would you rate it?

Ken

satfrat

• Restricted
  • Boston Red Sox!! 2004 / 2007 / 2013
Re: Beowulf - What did you think?
« Reply #1 on: 8 Mar 2008, 11:38 pm »
6 out of 10,,,,, just didn't like it all that much myself. It started out slow & loose and it look too long to figure out what the heck was going on. Sure it had it's moments of intense action and the soundtrack was real good but the plot was flimsy. I thought it could have been handled better as was the plot story in 300 (8.5-10).

Cheers,
Robin

Bigfish

« Reply #2 on: 9 Mar 2008, 12:02 am »
6 out of 10,,,,, just didn't like it all that much myself. It started out slow & loose and it look too long to figure out what the heck was going on. Sure it had it's moments of intense action and the soundtrack was real good but the plot was flimsy. I thought it could have been handled better as was the plot story in 300 (8.5-10).

Cheers,
Robin

Robin, I have to agree that "300" was better than "Beowulf." 

Ken

Cacophonix

« Reply #3 on: 9 Mar 2008, 12:15 am »
i would'nt want to grade this movie .. i didn't like it one bit. Until they can get the eyes right .. i don't think they should attempt such kind of movies. Same technology was used in "polar express" with similar results. Characters looks like dolls. Eyes look lifeless.

And coming to the script, screenplay - no great shakes.

Folsom

« Reply #4 on: 9 Mar 2008, 04:30 pm »
I would not give it above a 5 out of 10... Perhaps a 3.

klamka

« Reply #5 on: 9 Mar 2008, 05:56 pm »

Cheers,
Robin

Ken

8.5 out of 10 for  "300" ?? I was laughing all the movie &  because of that I'd give it a solid 3. And you say that it was better than "Beowulf" ? Thanks ,I save my $4 for something else . Regards, L

satfrat

• Restricted
« Reply #6 on: 9 Mar 2008, 06:04 pm »

Cheers,
Robin

Ken

8.5 out of 10 for  "300" ?? I was laughing all the movie &  because of that I'd give it a solid 3. And you say that it was better than "Beowulf" ? Thanks ,I save my $4 for something else . Regards, L

IMHO if you were laughing thru "300", you sound like 1 sick individual. Animated or not,,,, killin' ain't funny in my eyes.  :roll:

nodiak

« Reply #7 on: 9 Mar 2008, 10:49 pm »
Saw "Beowulf and Grendel" last year and liked it alot. Some of you might like it too, I suppose it's out on dvd.
http://www.beowulfandgrendel.com/
Saw "Beowulf" in a theatre with 3D glasses around Thanksgiving. Wasn't as good or interesting/involving story wise as B&G, but with the 3D glasses it was pretty fun as a "super cartoon" (good way of putting it Bigfish). Was ok as "something to do while visiting relatives during Thanksgiving week".  :wink:
Don

mclsound

« Reply #8 on: 9 Mar 2008, 10:55 pm »
3/10 lacked interest    300 was a 10/10             sin city8/10

mcrespo71

« Reply #9 on: 9 Mar 2008, 11:02 pm »

I saw it in IMAX 3d last year and was stunned by the visuals, but thought the movie pretty much sucked.  I'd give it a 4/10.

satfrat

• Restricted
« Reply #10 on: 9 Mar 2008, 11:11 pm »

I saw it in IMAX 3d last year and was stunned by the visuals, but thought the movie pretty much sucked.  I'd give it a 4/10.

Definitely on my list of things to do now that I'm retired is to take in an IMAX, even if I need to drive 4-5 hours.  :o  I'd rather watch a DVD on a 21" screen than subject myself to what they call movies theaters here in Vermont.  :nono:

Cheers,
Robin

PhilNYC

« Reply #11 on: 9 Mar 2008, 11:18 pm »
I really didn't like this one.  Thought it took itself WAY too seriously...and even though the animation/special effects were interesting, every so often the animation reminded me too much of Shrek....

klamka

« Reply #12 on: 14 Mar 2008, 06:35 pm »
MHO if you were laughing thru "300", you sound like 1 sick individual. Animated or not,,,, killin' ain't funny in my eyes.  Rolling Eyes"

Sorry Mate !
You watch killing for entertainment -we're on the same boat. I was laughing because it was so stupid that it even trounced "Troy" which was a summit of idiocy.
Cheers . L

Imperial

• Love keeps us in the air, when we ought to fall.
« Reply #13 on: 29 Mar 2008, 09:59 pm »
I have seen SHE... or Beowolf as it is called.
It is about the weakness of the man.
That the heart will betray the one who seeks recognition.

Only those who wish to serve will escape her, and the deep water.

Her name is pride, and her offspring is death..

Man was not meant to seek her...

But GOD ...

Imperial

Folsom

« Reply #14 on: 29 Mar 2008, 11:49 pm »
I wish I was a dragon with a heart smaller than a humans. How cool would that be? I bet I could fly really well.... or move, or go into cardiac arrest.

kyrill

« Reply #15 on: 30 Apr 2008, 05:28 pm »
i agree a bit with Bigfish
i give it a 7- i like fantasy movies and dragons. Much too much cop vs bad guys movies much too less adventure and SciFi movies
would have given it a solid 8- with the original players, what a crew and then by will ruin them into wax dolls. For what reason?? ridiculous

timothyharnett

« Reply #16 on: 5 Jul 2008, 08:19 pm »
I didn't think the film was particularly good but I saw it in 3d and the terrific effects  made it worth it.

nonoise

• A republic, if you can keep it.
« Reply #17 on: 7 Jul 2008, 04:07 am »
I like fantasy and sci-fi as well as the next person but there were several times when I felt like
just turning it off but I soldiered my way through and regretted it.

nonoise