Dark - Netflix's mind bending, time traveling series

WGH

Dark is an ambitious time traveling saga that spans decades. The story explores how 4 families in Winden, Germany are interconnected. The 27 characters have interlocking relationships and each character has 2 to 3 ages, young, middle aged, and old. The timeline is between 1921 and 2053 in 33 year increments and since time travel is not linear the series follows many timelines at once, some characters travel back in time, some forward, some die, some are lost, some interact with the younger or older version of themselves. Who is who is slowly revealed through the two seasons.

If you like science fiction that makes you think and focuses your attention like a laser check out Dark. Rotten Tomatoes rates the show at 100%.
The shows default is dubbed but watch it in German with subtitles, it's much better.
https://www.bustle.com/p/how-to-turn-off-netflixs-dubbing-for-dark-enjoy-the-show-in-its-original-form-7604137

:thumb: :thumb: :thumb: :thumb:

Tomy2Tone

Re: Dark - Netflix's mind bending, time traveling series
« Reply #1 on: 24 Jul 2019, 08:32 pm »
Have you seen season 2 yet? Its pretty crazy!

WGH

« Reply #2 on: 24 Jul 2019, 09:21 pm »
I have 4 episodes remaining in Season 2, this season is better than the first. I'm watching both seasons back to back, the continuity editor must have worked overtime keeping all the time lines straight.

Tomy2Tone

« Reply #3 on: 24 Jul 2019, 09:33 pm »
I had to go back and watch the last 4 episodes of season 1 just to keep everything straight in my mind about who was who and when and who was related to who and when. And even then it got a little squirrely in some areas for me but it was a fun ride.

randytsuch

« Reply #4 on: 24 Jul 2019, 09:47 pm »
But I hate to have to read while watching shows. :|

Thanks for the heads up

WGH

« Reply #5 on: 24 Jul 2019, 09:57 pm »
But I hate to have to read while watching shows. :|

I believe all episodes of Dark are dubbed so you don't have to read.

"Netflix said 85 percent of its American viewers chose dubs over subs for “The Rain”; 78 percent for the German supernatural mystery “Dark”; and 72 percent for “Money Heist.”

“Money Heist” will be a test case: Netflix took the unusual step of re-dubbing Seasons 1 and 2 using the new director and cast it had assembled to dub Season 3, including Zurer.
Last month the service replaced the lip-flapping early versions of the first two seasons — in which Raquel awkwardly shouts things like, “Silence!” to quiet rowdy fellow officers — with the newly-minted ones.

"Netflix dubs most commonly into nine languages: French, Italian, German, Turkish, Polish, Japanese, Castilian Spanish, Latin American Spanish and Brazilian Portuguese. (It offers subtitles in 27 languages.)"
https://www.nytimes.com/2019/07/19/arts/television/netflix-money-heist.html

Tomy2Tone

« Reply #6 on: 24 Jul 2019, 10:03 pm »
For me I would much rather read subtitles and hear the original language than hear horrible voice over acting for all the foreign flicks I see. There are times I'll leave the show playing and walk into the kitchen to get something to eat and it will hit me what language is being spoken and I'll say to myself "what the hell am I watching?"  :lol:

randytsuch

« Reply #7 on: 25 Jul 2019, 04:33 pm »
Not to stray too far off topic, but I have not watched some movies that were only subtitled because I didn't want to read them.

But I also normally watch with CC on, as I get older my hearing is deteriorating so its easier to have the words to read while you hear them.

Maybe I should try the subbed version lol.

Randy