Vampires - Jim Jarmusch Style!

ajzepp

Vampires - Jim Jarmusch Style!
« on: 10 Mar 2014, 08:54 am »
So, as it turns out, I ended up having an opportunity to see a film I've been very excited about - the latest Jim Jarmusch offering. I took to Jarmusch like I took to Magnepan speakers and Eva Mendes...love at first sight. I've always just been fascinated by this guy's style. So when I heard he was going to tackle vampires, I was even more intrigued than usual. And talk about amazing casting...Tom Hiddleston, Tilda Swinton, John Hurt...toss in a few younger up and comers in Anton Yelchin and Mia Wasikowska. I savored every minute and my initial reaction is that this is one of Jarmusch's best and also one of my favorites.

"Only Lovers Left Alive"
9.2/10

TRADERXFAN

• Trillions will vanish... it's a debt blackhole.
    • GALLERY
Re: Vampires - Jim Jarmusch Style!
« Reply #1 on: 11 Mar 2014, 02:23 am »
Loved Ghost dog. I will check this out. Thanks for pointing this one out...

TRADERXFAN

• Trillions will vanish... it's a debt blackhole.
    • GALLERY
« Reply #2 on: 11 Mar 2014, 02:29 am »
Where did you see this? online it says doesn't open till April 11th

ajzepp

« Reply #3 on: 11 Mar 2014, 04:30 am »
Where did you see this? online it says doesn't open till April 11th

I can tell you but I'd have to kill you. (check your PMs)

GhostDog was good...always been a fan of Forrest Whitaker. Down By Law is my favorite Jarmusch film, but if you don't care for his pacing and more deliberate style of film making, it may not be up your alley.

If you see it, please let me know what you think!

stlrman

« Reply #4 on: 11 Mar 2014, 09:30 am »
How did you like Broken Flowers?

ajzepp

« Reply #5 on: 11 Mar 2014, 12:19 pm »
How did you like Broken Flowers?

I'd say it was my fourth or fifth favorite of his films, but overall I felt it was a solid effort. I remember feeling it had some more mainstream elements to it as opposed to remaining a full-fledged Jarmusch film. I think the presence of Bill Murray had a little something to do with that, but it was slightly atypical for Jim in other ways, as well. I'd still give it a thumb's up, though...but I'd rank Down by Law and Only Lovers Left Alive above it, and probably a couple others, too.

Have you seen it? Or thinking about seeing it? If the latter, I would certainly encourage you to give it a look...it was very well received overall.

jimdgoulding

« Reply #6 on: 11 Mar 2014, 12:44 pm »
Isn't that the director who did a black and white sorta Western with Johnny Depp?  And a space invader movie shot in New York?  That movie has one of the funniest scenes to me of all time.  Takes place in a bar with two dudes jumping up and posing to fight.  Thanks for the post.  I'm on this like a duck on a bug!

ajzepp

« Reply #7 on: 11 Mar 2014, 03:12 pm »
Isn't that the director who did a black and white sorta Western with Johnny Depp?  And a space invader movie shot in New York?  That movie has one of the funniest scenes to me of all time.  Takes place in a bar with two dudes jumping up and posing to fight.  Thanks for the post.  I'm on this like a duck on a bug!

Hey Jim...not sure about the space invaders but the Johnny Depp film is Dead Man, another one of my favorites!

ltr317

« Reply #8 on: 13 Mar 2014, 05:26 am »

You are probably thinking about The Brother From Another Planet.  That's a John Sayles movie, not Jim Jarmusch.  Jim graduated from my alma mater in 1975.

jimdgoulding

« Reply #9 on: 18 Mar 2014, 02:11 am »
Yes, I am and thank you!  That sucker is hilarious.

ltr317

« Reply #10 on: 18 Mar 2014, 02:37 am »
Yes, I am and thank you!  That sucker is hilarious.

Yeah, excellent movie with dry humor. 

Rob Babcock

• Volunteer
« Reply #11 on: 15 Apr 2014, 01:31 am »
Finally saw the trailer last night!  It looks wicked funny and entertaining.  Cumberbatch is fast becoming one of my favorite actors.  I'll definitely catch this one when it hits the theater.

ajzepp

« Reply #12 on: 15 Apr 2014, 03:45 am »
Finally saw the trailer last night!  It looks wicked funny and entertaining.  Cumberbatch is fast becoming one of my favorite actors.  I'll definitely catch this one when it hits the theater.

I think you may have your movies mixed up, brother  :D

Rob Babcock

• Volunteer
« Reply #13 on: 15 Apr 2014, 06:21 am »
D'oh, got my wires crossed- it's Loki. :lol:  Honest mistake!  Still looks awesome though. :thumb:

ajzepp

« Reply #14 on: 15 Apr 2014, 01:34 pm »
D'oh, got my wires crossed- it's Loki. :lol:  Honest mistake!  Still looks awesome though. :thumb:

Loki was great in this  :thumb:

I also have to admit, I've never found Tilda Swinton physically attractive in the slightest...but she pulls it off in this one. Very desirable vampiress :)