Do You Hear Reverb with your Headphones?

Mag

Do You Hear Reverb with your Headphones?
« on: 31 Oct 2022, 10:58 pm »
   When I listen with my Beyerdynamic Custom Studio headphone. If I have the source output volume set high, I hear what I believe to be reverb if the Artist is using it during the recording. If it's not reverb then perhaps I'm hearing distortion? If I turn the volume down then it seems to diminish but then I lose what I'll call spaciousness. My headphones don't sound harsh like headphones I used many years ago and yet they are very revealing of detail in a recording.

So the question is, does anyone else hear reverb in recordings while listening with their headphones? :smoke:

SteveFord

• Volunteer
  • The poodle bites, the poodle chews it.
Re: Do You Hear Reverb with your Headphones?
« Reply #1 on: 1 Nov 2022, 12:31 am »
If it's in the recording, sure.

Letitroll98

• Facilitator
  • Too loud is just right
« Reply #2 on: 2 Nov 2022, 10:22 am »
If you're hearing a lot of reverb I'd guess there a wiring problem somewhere.  There's a touch of reverb in many studio recordings, but it's usually at such a low level that you don't perceive it as reverberation, but rather as a little spaciousness.  I'd try a different headphone and see if the reverb disappears.

SteveFord

• Volunteer
  • The poodle bites, the poodle chews it.
« Reply #3 on: 2 Nov 2022, 12:23 pm »
I was thinking of concert halls, especially King Crimson.
They must have been REALLY loud.

Mag

« Reply #4 on: 3 Nov 2022, 02:11 am »
If you're hearing a lot of reverb I'd guess there a wiring problem somewhere.  There's a touch of reverb in many studio recordings, but it's usually at such a low level that you don't perceive it as reverberation, but rather as a little spaciousness.  I'd try a different headphone and see if the reverb disappears.

That's why I was asking, I was curious if I were to purchase open backed headphones what kind of detail I should expect. Like I said I believe what I'm hearing is reverb when I have the source volume output set high. Currently I have the source volume at 50% and I'm not hearing reverb. Not every song has reverb, especially in the vocals, typically you never notice. With these headphones they can play at this level of detail. :smoke:

Tone Depth

• Music Lover
    • SRLPE Wheel Works
« Reply #5 on: 3 Nov 2022, 02:48 am »
It should be obvious, but reverb in a recording is different than reverb in a room during playback.

DannyBadorine

« Reply #6 on: 3 Nov 2022, 02:51 am »
The higher the quality of gear you use, the more detail you will hear, especially reverbs and delays.  To tell the difference between an MP3 and a WAV file you can usually hear it in the depth of the vocal or snare reverb.  Most vocal tracks have delays and/or reverb on them.  It's usually pretty obvious on most mixes.  Check My Morning Jacket stuff for heavy vocal reverbs.  But you can really hear the detail of them with better speakers, tuned rooms or headphones.  So, I think you're just hearing more detail because you have better headphones.

DannyBadorine

« Reply #7 on: 3 Nov 2022, 02:53 am »
Listen to some 80's rock stuff and there is usually a ton of reverb on the drums.  Whitesnake, Poison, Motley Crue, Queensryche, etc.  Listen to Pour Some Sugar on Me by Def Leppard.  The Snare has a massive reverb on it.

Mag

« Reply #8 on: 4 Nov 2022, 01:55 am »
   I think I have my Custom Studio Beyerdynamics optimized now. I could see that my VoiceMeeter app wasn't doing anything but passing the signal, got it working but not sure what I did to get it working other than delete conflicting software.

So I have Amazon HD volume output set to 90% and adjusted the VoiceMeeter settings. The Ittelipan red dot on the left, not sure where to set that but leaving where it's at for the moment. Anyway I'm liking what I'm hearing at the moment. :smoke: