Speakophone Disc--Can Anyone Play This?

kentj1948

Speakophone Disc--Can Anyone Play This?
« on: 15 Oct 2017, 05:58 pm »
A friend of mine has inherited a couple of these discs.  I told him that I would see if anyone in GAS could play them.  He's just curious as to who in the family might be on them.

PM me if you would be willing to help.  Thanks.  Kent

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
Re: Speakophone Disc--Can Anyone Play This?
« Reply #1 on: 15 Oct 2017, 06:13 pm »
Hope this help:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M0LOxgYzIqE
I have some Traditional Crossroads CDs mastered from Shellac discs that not sound the great result showed in this video.

Scott F.

« Reply #2 on: 15 Oct 2017, 06:34 pm »
Kent

If your friend can be patient, I've got a 78 system. We're still under construction and I can't get at it yet. Guessing, it will be about 6 weeks before it get uncovered.

kentj1948

« Reply #3 on: 15 Oct 2017, 08:30 pm »
Thanks, Scott.  My friend is in no hurry.  The rub is that this disc is aluminum.  Can it be played with anything but a cactus thorn? 

Thanks for the You Tube link.  I doubt my friend cares enough to have anyone professional decode it.  I thought maybe one of the GAS members was a gramophone enthusiast and had something that could play these discs.

Thanks for taking the time to respond.  I appreciate it.

Scott F.

« Reply #4 on: 15 Oct 2017, 10:25 pm »
I've got a couple means to play 78s. One is a traditional table top Victrola. I've only got steel needles though we could try a toothpick. Would probably only last a side or two. The other is a Dual 1019 with a Shure 78 diamond stylus. It will play it. We'll want to make sure that there aren't any major gouges in the grooves. That would probably wipe out the stylus.

kentj1948

« Reply #5 on: 15 Oct 2017, 10:27 pm »
Whenever it works for you, we'll give it a shot.  Thanks.

WGH

« Reply #6 on: 15 Oct 2017, 11:12 pm »
A buddy in Tucson collects antique record players, the hand crank 78 rpm and wax cylinder types and I'm sure some use cactus needles.

You need an antique record player, ask shops who repair players if they know of anyone wiling to help.
Try Antique Radio Repair in St. Louis http://www.antiqueradiorepairshop.net/
"We provide custom repair, restoration and resurrection of your antique radio, phonograph or other electric/electronic device​ with the absolute utmost of care.

kentj1948

« Reply #7 on: 16 Oct 2017, 02:05 am »
Thanks! I will check this out.

daves

« Reply #8 on: 16 Oct 2017, 02:14 am »
Kent, I just picked up a portable 78 player for Francis. If someone has a cactus needle, we could play it on this one anywhere.

BTW, the antique radio guy is five blocks from our house, behind the Home Depot.

kentj1948

« Reply #10 on: 16 Oct 2017, 04:34 pm »
I have left a message at Antique Radio Repair.  If he has needles, maybe we can use Francis' player to try these discs. 

Thanks everyone for your help and suggestions.  I'll follow up here once we figure out what we are doing.  Best, Kent

vinyldavid

• Collectorious Giganticus
« Reply #11 on: 21 Oct 2017, 05:36 am »
Hey!

I might be able to be of some assistance.  I have a working Victor Orthophonic Electrola record player-the first high fidelity acoustic phonograph, and recording gear.

If there is success sourcing cactus stylii, I would be happy to play it anytime we can sync our schedules up, and record the resulting output and burn it to a CD.

Seen here third from left.  All 4 came from the same source, but the other 3 are works in progress.

Otherwise, my Lenco L75 spins at 78rpm, and I have the proper 78 stylus for my Stanton 500, and a 'flat'-able phono pre.

S Clark

• a riot is the language of the unheard- Dr. King
« Reply #12 on: 21 Oct 2017, 02:02 pm »
If I remember the steel needles from my childhood, they were about just under 1/8" thick at the base.  I don't know of any cactus spines that thick, but I have plenty of mesquite thorns in my front yard/pasture that should work fine.  Mesquite thorns are ungodly tough and should work well.  If you want to try those, I'll clip a dozen and send them. 

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #13 on: 21 Oct 2017, 05:20 pm »
Seen here third from left.  All 4 came from the same source, but the other 3 are works in progress.
Wow This is real VINTAGE!!
Congratulations David, this is hi quality historical stuff.
The prob will be chose the best one to play.