ADS 1290 2

Dakota123

ADS 1290 2
« on: 20 Apr 2023, 01:37 pm »
Hello all. Old time music lover looking for information and discussion on vintage audio equipment. Has anyone any information on ADS 1290=2 speaker cross over upgrades.

GeorgeAb

Re: ADS 1290 2
« Reply #1 on: 20 Apr 2023, 10:01 pm »
Here is where you can find the brochure and users manual: https://www.hifiengine.com/manual_library/ads/l1290.shtml

Audiokarma.org is ususally a good place to find those things. I found this on the ADS 1530. https://audiokarma.org/forums/index.php?threads/ads-l1530-crossover.640582/

Likely the L1290/2 is quite similar. Would definitely look at replacing the 33uf electrolytic capacitor. Looks like most of the capacitors are film and only one iron core inductor. High quality for the day!

A couple of years ago I had some KEF 103.2 and just went through and replaced the electrolytic capacitors with poly film, nothing fancy Solen. The electrolytic were starting to leak although the speakers were still functional. I used a Mundorf electrolytic to replace the large value electrolytic as due to size was impractical to go with a film. I just kept the metal core inductors, rather than going to air core inductors. I was impressed with the sound I was able to get out of them after such a small investment.

Once you have the crossover should not be too much of a problem to reverse engineer and pencil out a schematic. I would replace the film capacitors with a quality mid range film cap like Solen. Also consider replacing all the wiring. I would not go crazy just a guage or two up in size (from pics looks like 20 AWG so 16 AWG) using mil-spec wire which is .999 copper plated with silver. Considering bypassing the switch (contacts are a problem area and you are only going to use the one position) with jumpers.

« Last Edit: 20 Apr 2023, 11:20 pm by GeorgeAb »

FullRangeMan

• Facilitator
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #2 on: 20 Apr 2023, 10:38 pm »
Hello all. Old time music lover looking for information and discussion on vintage audio equipment. Has anyone any information on ADS 1290=2 speaker cross over upgrades.
Do it is damaged? If not, dont fix what is not broken.

ArthurDent

• Don't Panic / Mostly Harmless
« Reply #3 on: 20 Apr 2023, 11:30 pm »
Greetings & Welcome to AC   :thumb:

Phil A

« Reply #4 on: 21 Apr 2023, 12:31 am »
Welcome!  Way back in the day, when I couldn't afford much, I lusted over the 1290s and 1590s.  Someone (about a year or so back) gave a friend of mine a pair of 790s and he's using them in his office system.

Saturn94

« Reply #5 on: 21 Apr 2023, 01:15 am »
Great speakers!  I bought a new pair of ADS L1290/2 in 1986.  I enjoyed them greatly for over 25yrs before I got the urge to replace them.

jonbee

« Reply #6 on: 21 Apr 2023, 03:54 pm »
I've upgraded several good ADS speakers, incl. 780 2, 980 2 and 1590 2.
Here's the low hanging fruit I've found with them.
Better wiring will help and is not too difficult. > 14ga. on woofers is quite audible. OFC or better copper works good, smaller guage on mids and tweeters, of course.
i'd leave the crossovers alone. Replacing some or all parts will have unpredictable sonic results. It is possible lots of money and effort there on better parts may make sound worse overall.
The biggest improvement is damping all the cabinet walls. The woofers have a high crossover point so wide range cabinet talk is significant. It significantly muddies bass and the midrange too.
Sonic Barrier is an affordable good product, and not too hard to install:

https://www.parts-express.com/Sonic-Barrier-3-4-3-Layer-Damping-Material-w-PSA-18-x-24-260-530?quantity=1

Remove about a third of the fiberglass stuffing if you do this so you don't overdamp the cabinet.
Woofers are firmly attached, and prying them out with a screwdriver or the like will likely damage the wood. Use a sheet rock or sheet metal screw that is screwed into the woofer basket mounting hole (not into the cabinet), then grab the screw head with pliers and give a sharp tug. It may take several tugs to get the woofer free.
The wiring and cabinet damping will significantly improve ADS speakers.

Dakota123

« Reply #7 on: 29 Apr 2023, 02:53 pm »
Much appreciate all the responses. Bought them years ago for my shop. Just built up my home system and decided to see how the ADS's sounded. Was very impressed, so now the old dogs are in the house and the new dogs are in the shop!