Advent powered Speakers

johnyt

Advent powered Speakers
« on: 21 Nov 2022, 06:27 am »
This is my first post and I'm looking forward to building speakers and picking up some wisdom about some of my older equipment. Does anyone else have a pair of Advent Powered speakers, and what has your experience been with them? Has anyone built a DIY speaker using MEYER sound 17-inch woofers or EV high frequency drivers? I know that there is a lot to learn and I'm happy to soak up wisdom.
I will post some pictures of my stuff if there is any interest, but I have a bit of this and a bit of that..... including Crown, Altec, Spica, Meyer, TOA, sumo, Fostex, Nakamichi and Advent.
I look forward to hearing back
John

Phil A

Re: Advent powered Speakers
« Reply #1 on: 21 Nov 2022, 02:15 pm »
Welcome to AC!  Other than on eBay, I haven't personally seen a pair of Advent powered speakers.  Hifishark.com is a good place to search for used items (it searches many sites and one can filter by region).  In the 70s and 80s, I owned some of the those popular brands.  There are circles here related to DIY.  Once you have 3 posts, you can use the search function and drill down to those things of interest.

FullRangeMan

• Facilitator
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #2 on: 21 Nov 2022, 04:54 pm »
Welcome tô AC :thumb:

planet10

• Industry Participant
  • Frugal-phile (tm)
    • planet10-hifi
« Reply #3 on: 21 Nov 2022, 06:29 pm »
We sold a few of these (and tons [literally] of non-powered Advents.

A stacked pair really rocked, but, and a big but, allmost all of them had amplifiers blow up. The prime reason we sold so few.

dave