bookshelf speakers for around $400 ?

arthur

« on: 21 Jul 2004, 08:21 am »
I'm trying to help a good friend of mine to find a good pair of bookshelf speakers for around $400. they are going to be used in a large room and he listens everything from Hendrix to Mozart. i know that he would probably be better off with floor standers, but he prefers bookshelves.

It will be driven by a 100w solid state or digital amp.

so far all i've come up with are the axiom m3ti
are there better deals?

i would appreciate any suggestion.

thank you.

dogears

« Reply #1 on: 21 Jul 2004, 09:59 am »
IMHO, Axiom M3Ti is best with tube amp but you can get away with the SS/digital amp :)

cheers,
dogears
http://gojiro.tripod.com/eyvee/eyvee.html

doug s.

• makin' music
« Reply #2 on: 21 Jul 2004, 02:05 pm »
dunno if these are still awailable - no bids on this auction four months ago...

http://cgi.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/auc.pl?spkrmoni&1079662074&1&3&1&

these were among my top five best of show at s'phile's nyc show several years back...

doug s.

chriss

How about these KEF Coda 70's
« Reply #3 on: 21 Jul 2004, 02:09 pm »
I bought a pair of these and have been very happy with them. This review is very accurate.
chris

http://www.tnt-audio.com/casse/kefcoda70_e.html

Red Dragon Audio

• Industry Participant
    • http://www.reddragonaudio.com
« Reply #4 on: 21 Jul 2004, 04:31 pm »
How big is the room?  That will be key in my opinion as he might over drive the Axioms to levels they can't handle well without subs (even with subs it would be possible to over drive them in a large room).

anyway...

The axioms would be a good start but I would definitely consider using them with a sub but use it wisely:

Use the speaker outs from the amp to go into the sub(s) and from the sub(s) run speaker wire to the axioms so they get the lowest octaves filtered out.  The high pass speaker level crossover on a typical sub is a 1st order, 6dB/octave, at 80hz which would be just right for the axioms.  They'll still be playing some music down to 40hz (and lower if they could) but it will be rolled off quite a bit so they're job is now easier.  Plus the sub can be placed in the room to get the best bass and the speaekers can be pullled well out into the room for the best stereo imaging and midrange quality.

You can usually find the M3ti's for around $150-$175 on audiogon which would leave you $250 or so for a good used sub (try a B&W asw600 as it would be an excellent design). :D

ABEX

« Reply #5 on: 21 Jul 2004, 04:43 pm »
There is a slew of speakers in the <$400 price range which I would love to get 10 to audition at once.

The Rockets and Ascends are the 2 speakers that most have chosen to go with.

Others I would like to hear are:
Phase Techs
AER Acoustics $289list with Kevlar drivers(review shortly)
Wharfedales 7.2
Kef 70's  
Infinity Primius
Celestion  F-10
Athena
NHT SuperOnes
PSB Alpha's
Paradigm Atoms
Athena
Canton
Jamo

Copy that list and call around your area to see who sells any of them and go listen. A few there are mail order. The KEF's,Infinity's and Ascend's have been reviewed I think by major mags with favorable write ups.

I want the small JAMO's which list for $80ea. and can be mated with a sub. I had these before and they impressed alot of people that came by.

Good luck!

brj

« Reply #6 on: 21 Jul 2004, 07:03 pm »
You could look at the Gallo Nucleus Micro at $300/pair or the Gallo A'diva at $450/pair (prices are list prices).  Both have a single driver, so you have no crossovers to worry about.  They don't go down very low, but apparently the Gallo subwoofers have also been well received.  My knowledge of them is based only on what I picked up while researching the Nucleus Reference III's, but you might want to investigate further.

Specs on Micro:
 - 80Hz to 18Khz on wall
 - 89 dB/w into 4 Ohms
 - 3 inch driver in a 4 inch sphere

Specs on A'diva:
 - 76Hz to 20Khz on wall or floor stand
 - 88Hz to 20Khz on isolation ring surface stand
 - 88 dB/w into 8 Ohms
 - improved 3 inch driver in a 5 inch sphere

Hmmm... the A'diva is fully shielded (I don't know about the micro).  Maybe I'll see if I can find a used pair when I finally get the itch to upgrade my computer speakers.

Good luck!

Jay S

« Reply #7 on: 22 Jul 2004, 01:26 am »
Odyssey Audio has a v. well regarded bookshelf speaker for $500.  Check it out.  Its only sold online.

Rob Babcock

• Volunteer
« Reply #8 on: 22 Jul 2004, 01:35 am »
Monitor Audio's Bronze B2 is pretty solid at the price, too.

beat

« Reply #9 on: 22 Jul 2004, 02:17 am »
I'm going out on a limb here but, I have a couple pairs of these

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=14991&item=5701862696#ebayphotohosting

unfortunately they are going for more than they were when I got em. they were 139 a few months ago. They are B&W ish in sound from the titanium tweeter and kevlar midwoofs. I was so impressed by the fit and finish and nice real wood cabinets I got a second pair for my office system. If you may be able talk em down a little and get 2 pair shipped for under 400. They have good powerhandling and excursion for being so little.

Rob Babcock

• Volunteer
« Reply #10 on: 22 Jul 2004, 02:19 am »
They're really pretty for the price.

ABEX

« Reply #11 on: 22 Jul 2004, 02:42 am »
BEAT
     I should have a set here for a review Friday.

Good to know what they use to go for! I might keep them if I can get that price and they are good. I have enough speaker though and I need another frontend!

Regards,Larry

beat

« Reply #12 on: 22 Jul 2004, 02:25 pm »
Hey cool,
glad to hear that. Let us know what you think. Yes Rob they really are pretty. They have a nice taper going to the rear of the box and all the corners are finished very well and smoothly. You really have to pull out a magnifying glass to tell that it is real wood..that is how smooth the finish is.

beat

« Reply #13 on: 25 Jul 2004, 11:03 pm »
here is a review of them that came up recently by tbadder

http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=11917