First Impressions of Vinyl

Mag

First Impressions of Vinyl
« on: 12 Dec 2019, 09:32 pm »
Finally have TT up an running after more than a decade. System has been upgraded substantially since then.

Using a basic turntable (Technics) with a Pickering cartridge, nothing exotic and Rega phono amp. Once I got a proper ground the hum was gone and played with quiet background, noise & pops hardly noticeable accept on real dirty vinyl. Adjusting speed was done by comparing to cd versions 'til it sounded tonally correct.

First impressions: bass has vibe to it, music seems to have more body than cd, IMO it sounds much like uncompressed blu ray pcm. The downside is I don't hear the transparency that I'm acustom to with my digital tweeks on recording. But I believe I can fix the vinyl transparency by re-recording and the use of digital dac. :smoke:

Mag

Re: First Impressions of Vinyl
« Reply #1 on: 13 Dec 2019, 01:16 am »
 I'm listening to Tangerine Dream- Poland live in Warsaw, a double Lp, one of my favorite Tangerine Dream albums. I've been listening to this album since it first came out IIRC early '80's is when I first heard it at a friends place. Anyway this is the best I've ever heard it! A real treat and transparency is very good. It seems like transparency on vinyl is dependent on quality of recording so it varies from one Lp to another.

I also have the cd version which omitted Side B due to length. I happened to like Side B so my plan was to transfer the vinyl version to cd. All I can say is at the moment is have tears of joy I'm so impressed. :drool:

Blackmore

« Reply #2 on: 13 Dec 2019, 02:51 pm »
Sounds like you're having a great time getting reacquainted with vinyl.  Keeps us posted on your impressions of the ripped versions.

Mag

« Reply #3 on: 13 Dec 2019, 04:26 pm »
Sounds like you're having a great time getting reacquainted with vinyl.  Keeps us posted on your impressions of the ripped versions.

Thanks, ditched vinyl around '95ish, still had a TT  was using a Dual mainly for the few albums I transferred at that time. Was never impressed with vinyl so what has changed? Well just about everything, better cartridge, Rega phono amp, pre-processor, amps, speakers. Had to omit using first dac in chain because of wrong connector on one end, but if I can find the right usb cable will add that to the chain. :smoke:

Mag

« Reply #4 on: 14 Dec 2019, 07:10 pm »
Transferred 7 tunes to cd, results outstanding played back on Bryston BCD-3. Sometimes I process a recording 2 or 3 times to get the transparency I want. Turntable is crapping out on speed switch so may have to change Tables which is problematic since I don't know how to align a cartridge.

music transferred: TD- Poland, Gary Numan- Ornaments '79, Kitaro- Asia, Canadian Centennial album, Night Flight to Venus, TD- Le Parc, Gong- Shamal

Finding new music on vinyl is going to be tough since music I like I already have. :smoke:

Art_Chicago

« Reply #5 on: 14 Dec 2019, 11:43 pm »
For transparent LPs I strongly recommend the Arturo Salvatore list.
http://www.high-endaudio.com/supreme.html
I got a couple of dozens from EBay and other sources — not a single dull LP!

S Clark

• a riot is the language of the unheard- Dr. King
« Reply #6 on: 15 Dec 2019, 01:04 am »
For transparent LPs I strongly recommend the Arturo Salvatore list.
http://www.high-endaudio.com/supreme.html
I got a couple of dozens from EBay and other sources — not a single dull LP!
Great list.  Get your wallet out, it's going to get lighter.