Kanto Yumi: woot

persisting1

Kanto Yumi: woot
« on: 29 Mar 2014, 08:35 pm »
These are on sale at woot for $179.99 until the 31st of this month. I know nothing about them, but they seem like they are C&C.

If this needs to be moved to Sweet Deals, then please do so  :thumb:

http://tech.woot.com/plus/kanto-bluetooth-speakers?ref=cnt_wp_4

srb

Re: Kanto Yumi: woot
« Reply #1 on: 29 Mar 2014, 11:21 pm »
I have the predecessor to them, the Kanto iPair 5 with the same 5.25" woofer, 1" soft dome tweeter, 20W/ch Class AB amplifier (versus the Yumi's 30W/ch) and remote.

The Yumi adds a 24/192 DAC and two optical inputs.  I wouldn't give too much audio weight to the Bluetooth though, which is A2DP instead of the current state of the art aptX lossless protocol, so for now it is more of a convenience feature.  Kanto tells me the next generation Yumi will have Bluetooth aptX.

Still, a good deal for a pretty good sounding set of full-featured 5" powered monitors.

Steve

persisting1

« Reply #2 on: 30 Mar 2014, 04:39 am »
I have the predecessor to them, the Kanto iPair 5 with the same 5.25" woofer, 1" soft dome tweeter, 20W/ch Class AB amplifier (versus the Yumi's 30W/ch) and remote.

The Yumi adds a 24/192 DAC and two optical inputs.  I wouldn't give too much audio weight to the Bluetooth though, which is A2DP instead of the current state of the art aptX lossless protocol, so for now it is more of a convenience feature.  Kanto tells me the next generation Yumi will have Bluetooth aptX.

Still, a good deal for a pretty good sounding set of full-featured 5" powered monitors.

Steve

Steve,

Due to your past recommendation, I've kept an eye out for these speakers. I'm tempted to compare these to my Audioengines.

srb

« Reply #3 on: 30 Mar 2014, 05:01 am »
I don't see how you could go wrong at the price.

I use the iPair 5 in the bedroom for TV listening and Airport Express music and they've been very good and reliable, but I can't say I've used them for critical listening.  However, I paid $350 and did feel that I got my money's worth.

A comparison to the Audioengine A5 / A5+ would be most interesting.

Steve
« Last Edit: 30 Mar 2014, 08:44 am by srb »