SOLEN 1.3mH air inductor question

Tom899

SOLEN 1.3mH air inductor question
« on: 15 Mar 2024, 11:51 am »
Hello, I'm installing some new MILL resistors and Bypass caps... When removing my old glued down resistors my scraper slipped and I hit a SOLEN 1.3mH inductor. A few of the wire winding slipped up a bit, and the very top winding with the end got nicked, so I cut about six inches off. No real damage other than a few windings lost the tight winding. I pushed them back in place and put some hot glue on.
        My question, I don't know how touchy these are? If a few of the windings on top, maybe 4 or 5 out of hundreds, are not wound completely tight like new, does it matter?
Thanks,
Tom

Tom899

Re: SOLEN 1.3mH air inductor question
« Reply #1 on: 16 Mar 2024, 03:55 pm »
Hello, I'm installing some new MILL resistors and Bypass caps... When removing my old glued down resistors my scraper slipped and I hit a SOLEN 1.3mH inductor. A few of the wire winding slipped up a bit, and the very top winding with the end got nicked, so I cut about six inches off. No real damage other than a few windings lost the tight winding. I pushed them back in place and put some hot glue on.
        My question, I don't know how touchy these are? If a few of the windings on top, maybe 4 or 5 out of hundreds, are not wound completely tight like new, does it matter?
Thanks,
Tom

Well, I don't blame anyone for not answering, this is probably a one-off accident.

Anyway, I completed assembling my crossovers. Both speakers measure the same near-field and MLP. And listening, to my ears sound the same. My conclusion, for all practical purposes, I did not hurt the air inductor. These speakers, RP-8000f's sound the best they have ever sounded, so much better than stock. Not fatiguing, nice smooth female vocals, easy to listen to, even at higher levels. I know the next step up to replace these will be flat-pack kits from Danny, just don't know which model yet.

Jaytor

« Reply #2 on: 16 Mar 2024, 09:52 pm »
Dropping a few wingdings will have a very small affect on the inductance. You are probably still well within the normal tolerance on this part. I wouldn't worry about it.

Tom899

« Reply #3 on: 17 Mar 2024, 02:34 pm »
Dropping a few wingdings will have a very small affect on the inductance. You are probably still well within the normal tolerance on this part. I wouldn't worry about it.
Thanks, appreciate the comment,
Tom