go to song

Blaser

go to song
« on: 29 Jan 2016, 08:20 am »
if you only have one chance to impress someone with you nice sound system what is your go to song   

mlundy57

• Industry Participant
Re: go to song
« Reply #1 on: 29 Jan 2016, 08:36 am »
Great question. I've been wondering what I should use as a playlist to show off the Wedgies/dual 12" Wedge Subs at LASF this year.

Mike

SoCalWJS

« Reply #2 on: 29 Jan 2016, 12:39 pm »
I would probably try to take into consideration what kind of music that person likes. If it's something that that person doesn't particularly like, or an artist whose style or voice they don't care for, they're not going to enjoy it as much and that usually means they are not as impressed.

There are a bunch of things out there that are well recorded and used to Demo systems. I think many people are sick of them because we hear them over and over (and over) at Audio Shows and Dealers.   :green:

stlrman

« Reply #3 on: 29 Jan 2016, 01:35 pm »
Try a couple of cuts from this album . Very well recorded !

Early B.

« Reply #4 on: 29 Jan 2016, 01:44 pm »
Track 4 of this:

corndog71

• Some people call me Rob.
« Reply #5 on: 29 Jan 2016, 02:26 pm »
I typically refer to whatever I happen to like at the moment.  I have a few albums from HD Tracks that work well.  Recently I played Gold Dust Woman from Fleetwood Mac and it sounded great.  I also just hand them the ipad (used as a remote) and say pick whatever you like.
« Last Edit: 29 Jan 2016, 04:44 pm by corndog71 »

jtwrace

• www.theintellectualpeoplepodcast.com
    • TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #6 on: 29 Jan 2016, 03:38 pm »
The epic fail of being an audiophile.  It's about the music and thus any music recorded well or not should be enjoyable.  Does a well recorded album make for a more enjoyable experience?  Perhaps but it's still about the music and thus for me it's all about the mood so I'll play based on that.  My "go to" playlist is massive and all kinds of music well recorded or not.  Who cares!?!!?

brother love

« Reply #7 on: 29 Jan 2016, 03:54 pm »
Actually, I prefer for the person you are trying to impress to pick something from your library.  With a few exceptions for a horrible recording here or there, it pretty much always initiates a wow factor. If they don't pick something out, then I usually go with the music genre that they like best.  I always have my own personal favorite recordings that show off a system. Of course better recorded 24/192 & 24/96 files tend to be better too.

rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio Consulting -
« Reply #8 on: 29 Jan 2016, 04:11 pm »
   Any well recorded LP to impress. Usually Big Band with explosive dynamics  [ Buddy Rich ] gets them every time. Then a seductive female vocal, then acoustic  and slide guitar. 
   When the hoopla is over Piano and violin solos.

charles

Captainhemo

« Reply #9 on: 29 Jan 2016, 05:20 pm »
I agree with Brother Love, I typically ask  what a person   likes to listen to and then  go from there.
One track I always try and throw in the mix is "Coal train" by Hugh Masekela.... I hav a high res copy that is just stunning and quite often  will bring tears to peoples eyes. It's a grea  "story" and there are some great dynamics as the song progresses.
Here's a link to a youtube version   but  for the real deal, yo need to find a high res copy
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y09bhF_KcKI

jay
« Last Edit: 30 Jan 2016, 12:29 am by Captainhemo »

gregfisk

• Restricted
  • Us alone in the universe? sure is a waste of SPACE
« Reply #10 on: 29 Jan 2016, 11:15 pm »
Actually, I prefer for the person you are trying to impress to pick something from your library.  With a few exceptions for a horrible recording here or there, it pretty much always initiates a wow factor. If they don't pick something out, then I usually go with the music genre that they like best.  I always have my own personal favorite recordings that show off a system. Of course better recorded 24/192 & 24/96 files tend to be better too.

You hit this one on the head, I just hand the iphone to them or ask what they like. Some recordings are so bad thou I'll usually steer them clear of those. It is about the music but a good recording will bring me deeper into the song than a badly recorded one. And your system will impress even more if the recording is good. I have a (test tracks) list and these are all songs that sound really good and when people come to take a listen I will definitely bring those out for  a few songs anyway.

Oh, and to answer your question. Two albums come to mind, David Gray's White Ladder and Bozz Scaggs Dig albums are recorded very well.

nickd

« Reply #11 on: 30 Jan 2016, 12:00 am »
+1 on Hugh Masekela "Coal Train" :thumb: Wimpy amps need not apply.

I also like:
Dire Straights "Your latest trick"
Jennifer Warnes "Bird on a wire"
Niles Lofgren "Keith don't go"

lots of others

londonbarn

« Reply #12 on: 30 Jan 2016, 08:22 am »
Shawn Philips  "She Was Waiting For Her Mother At The Station In Torino And You Know I Love You Baby But It's Getting Too Heavy To Laugh".....

And of course  Christian McBrides's  "Night Train"....   

BOTH are PHENOMENAL  showpieces....

Blaser

« Reply #13 on: 30 Jan 2016, 09:42 am »

Blaser

« Reply #14 on: 1 Feb 2016, 06:49 am »
I really like all the songs everyone stated. looked up and listened to all of them. With head phones as I still gathering all of the things to
build a modest system. love music would like to here more picks   

londonbarn

« Reply #15 on: 1 Feb 2016, 01:36 pm »
I will have to pick up that Nils  Acoustic Live myself.. terrific live recording

R_burke

« Reply #16 on: 1 Feb 2016, 02:25 pm »
The problem for most of us, is that our go to song is something we really like and the people we are trying to impress may have other types of music they like.

I usually ask guests to pick out their own stuff to play from my collection.

sortner

« Reply #17 on: 1 Feb 2016, 02:56 pm »
 Lindsay Buckingham ...Out of the cradle, almost every track is impressive but there are a couple of instrumentals when I bring it in to my favorite shops or spin it for someone they always want to know what it is..

gmurray618

« Reply #18 on: 4 Feb 2016, 12:12 am »
if you only have one chance to impress someone with you nice sound system what is your go to song   

For me one song isn't enough.   I listen to a lot of live shows.  It takes a while to settle into the grove, so how about the second set of this Jerry Garcia David Grisman show.  This is a nice recording with a nice set list.   Their is a bit of tape hiss but I don't find it distracting.  Their is some nice base for you sub people. 

This is a freely recorded and freely traided recording - Enjoy.
https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B8IVkzPM-bd5b1hFYzl6VGZIMVU
Save it to your drive play it and enjoy  8)  (or delete it.    :lol:   It's kind of like licorice - you love it or hate it.  Not many in between.)

gregfisk

• Restricted
  • Us alone in the universe? sure is a waste of SPACE
« Reply #19 on: 4 Feb 2016, 12:27 am »
I was listening last night and came across Queen - The Miracle album which I haven't listened to in a long time.

I put on Invisible Man (the 12" version) and the drums on that song are amazing! Those 12" servo subs in my Super V's made that song really impressive. A must listen and turn it up to really get the effect.