How about some Chopin? (Nocturnes)

Magnus_CA

How about some Chopin? (Nocturnes)
« on: 13 Nov 2007, 05:12 am »
I'm looking for the best recording of his complete set of Nocturnes on CD.  Anyone have a suggestion?

Turnandcough

Re: How about some Chopin? (Nocturnes)
« Reply #1 on: 13 Nov 2007, 05:22 am »
I'm looking for the best recording of his complete set of Nocturnes on CD.  Anyone have a suggestion?

Been watching Dexter?

Magnus_CA

« Reply #2 on: 13 Nov 2007, 05:24 am »

Been watching Dexter?

Yes.  Love that show!!!!

I would also love to know what Jazz piece he was playing in his office when Deb came in.  It wasn't in the credits.  If I had to guess it was Miles Davis.

Magnus_CA

« Reply #3 on: 13 Nov 2007, 05:27 am »
I'm considering Claudio Arrau's remastered interpretation.  Any better recordings out there?

yooper

« Reply #4 on: 13 Nov 2007, 06:45 am »
I know, I know!!  :wave:

Ivan Moravec, in my opinion offers a very surreal recording of Chopin's Nocturnes. 

My wife has played classical piano for years, and her heart just sinks when she hears the dynamics and feeling that Ivan is gifted enough to portray.

I have the analog recording, but understand that the digital recording (very hard to find, best bet is an overseas retailer) from an audiophile perspective is the one to own.

Either way, I assure you, you will not be disappointed!!

Mark

Magnus_CA

« Reply #5 on: 13 Nov 2007, 06:55 am »

Ivan Moravec, in my opinion offers a very surreal recording of Chopin's Nocturnes. 

My wife has played classical piano for years, and her heart just sinks when she hears the dynamics and feeling that Ivan is gifted enough to portray.

I have the analog recording, but understand that the digital recording (very hard to find, best bet is an overseas retailer) from an audiophile perspective is the one to own.

Mark

Perfect, thanks.  Perhaps it's this one?

http://www.amazon.com/Chopin-Nocturnes-Fryderyk/dp/B000005J03

yooper

« Reply #6 on: 13 Nov 2007, 07:19 am »
Yup, that's the one.  If memory serves me, it was the Debussy recording that was the audiophile recording. 

But again, the beautiful portrayal outclasses the subtle difference in the sound quality.

Enjoy!

Mark

Turnandcough

« Reply #7 on: 13 Nov 2007, 01:45 pm »

Been watching Dexter?

Yes.  Love that show!!!!

I would also love to know what Jazz piece he was playing in his office when Deb came in.  It wasn't in the credits.  If I had to guess it was Miles Davis.

My first guess would be Miles Davis too but then again the trumpet sounded a bit like Freddie Hubbard too.

Ern Dog

« Reply #8 on: 21 Nov 2015, 06:03 am »
Perfect, thanks.  Perhaps it's this one?

http://www.amazon.com/Chopin-Nocturnes-Fryderyk/dp/B000005J03

Thanks for the recommendation Yooper.  Just ordered this one.  :thumb:

This is a 8 year old thread!

Photon46

« Reply #9 on: 21 Nov 2015, 11:38 am »
The Nocturnes are my favorite Chopin compositions. I've got quite a few sets but have never found any that gave me more long term pleasure than Claudio Arrau's Phillips set.

Ern Dog

« Reply #11 on: 21 Nov 2015, 05:04 pm »
The Nocturnes are my favorite Chopin compositions.

Mine too!

Magnus_CA

« Reply #12 on: 22 Nov 2015, 06:15 am »
Love to see this thread still active. Timeless thread for timeless music.

David Pinnegar

« Reply #13 on: 10 Apr 2019, 12:51 am »
One of the most sensitive Chopin pianists is Adolfo Barabino
https://www.google.com/search?q=adolfo+barabino+chopin+nocturnes

Here's a recording at a live concert - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QnYITP11UgQ

Best wishes

David P

James^

« Reply #14 on: 9 May 2020, 05:32 am »
You certainly can't argue with Moravec OR Arrau.
But... no appreciation for Rubinstein?
Mighty fine.

guildenstern

« Reply #15 on: 10 May 2020, 12:08 am »
Yes, I'll second the nomination of Rubinstein -- indeed, he's my first choice for the Nocturnes.

https://www.amazon.com/Chopin-Nocturnes-Arthur-Rubinstein/dp/B003ZWPATQ

S Clark

• a riot is the language of the unheard- Dr. King
« Reply #16 on: 10 May 2020, 03:44 am »
Rubenstein. I know you ask for CD, but... if you have a mono cartridge get the 1958  RCA LM-2176.  It's a beautiful recording. 

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
« Reply #17 on: 10 May 2020, 06:04 am »
Rubinstien and Barenboim are my 2 favorites.

Photon46

« Reply #18 on: 10 May 2020, 02:06 pm »
In addition to the great choices mentioned so far, Maria Joao Pires deserves a mention as having made a great recording of the complete Nocturnes. I've enjoyed her recording as often as those by Arrau and Rubenstein. Here's a link to Arkiv Music and a Grammaphone review of the recording:  http://www.arkivmusic.com/classical/album.jsp?album_id=4335

Jeff_From_Michigan

« Reply #19 on: 10 May 2020, 02:40 pm »

Mark

Wow Mark, I agree - these are some beautiful Chopin renditions. Streaming Qobuz at 16/44 is good enough to let the emotion of the music shine.  Funny you mention that the digital version is the way to go, because this is one of those recordings that make me wish I had a turntable.

Good stuff!