Free performance of 'Stravinsky - The Soldiers Tale' and a surprise!

simoon

I live in Los Angeles and every Sunday at 6:00 to 7:00 PM at the Los Angeles County Museum of Art there are free classical concerts given. The program is called 'Sundays Live'. I get to about half of them.

http://www.lacma.org/programs/music/sundays-live

The concerts are a mix of some pretty heavyweight local and international performers, ensembles, youth musicians from various music schools, musicians from university music programs, etc.

Last Sunday, 11/11, the The Young Musicians Foundation performed Stravinsky's 'The Soldiers Tale', which I was already happy about, based on my love for Stravinsky. The YMF tackled this pretty challenging piece with energy and skill. But in addition, there was staged performance, including some dance, film and narrated libretto to accompany the music.

The pleasant surprise was, that the soldier was played by Jack Black (in camo) and the devil was played by the great veteran character actor Michael Lerner (in a red sweats). It was very well done and funny, but did not detract from the musical performance.

hesson11

That's one of my very favorite pieces. I wish I could have seen it, but I'm about 3,000 to the east, I believe. I've never seen a live presentation of it, and I imagine Jack Black was a blast in the role. Big-time envy.

-Bob