BRYSTON BDP-1/2 FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS THREAD

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
Re: BRYSTON BDP-1/2 FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS THREAD
« Reply #1640 on: 26 Nov 2023, 07:11 pm »
Can you pls share with us which playback software you use on your iPad to play the music? Also, what is the sequence the files pass through - is it streamer to iPad to BR-20?

Thanks

Hi Twiga - I use the iPad with a C to USB connected wire to the USB input on my BR-20 DAC. You can also Stream to the BR-20 from the iPad as well.

james

bcugk

« Reply #1641 on: 26 Nov 2023, 09:04 pm »

Hi
I corrected my BDP-1 09 error by changing the cr2032 internal battery

Help, I have a problem with the BDP1 USB, as a rule when I turn on the BDP1 I get error 05. I turn it off and turn it back on and error 09 appears. I have to turn it off and on several times until the errors disappear but since yesterday error 09 always appears. and every time I turn it on I keep getting error 09.

alegar

« Reply #1642 on: 29 Nov 2023, 04:22 pm »
Thank you very much for your response.

nbrigido

« Reply #1643 on: 8 Dec 2023, 10:50 am »
i understand the BDP1 is old tech and support is diminishing, still like to use it for convince, but it has started to give me issues. Wanted to follow up with the group seee if anyone has faced these and if there are work arounds.

The unit no longer wanted to connect my NAS (QNAP) It does see it and find it, but cannot find any of the shares. (No pull down for it). Using SMB, even tried setting nas to SMB1, as per another post. No luck

Tidal, really does not want to play any songs. Tries, then skips over them to go to the next song. Keeps doing this until it hits the end of the playlist.

Any advice would be appreciated.

speltz

« Reply #1644 on: 14 Dec 2023, 01:09 am »
I am unable to access my Bryston BDP-2 via my web browser. Before I shut the BDP down, it was accessible. When I booted it up again, no can do.

The MAC address is correct, verified by checking it against the number on the BDP display.

Via Finder, I can view the SSD drive installed in my BDP. So I _know_ the BDP is connected to the internet, it's just that the site won't open in my browser.

I need to restart MPD in order to turn the USB device on--but of course, I can't access the dashboard. So this problem has rendered the BDP effectively useless.

The issue may be that my browser identifies the site as "not secure." But I am unable to do anything about it.

This has been a recurrent issue for me: sometimes the site will become accessible hours or days later. I can't continue to tolerate this problem. I love my BDP-2 / BDA-3 combo but maybe it's time to sell the BDP.

If anyone has a better option for me to consider, please help me out. I am very discouraged.

Jozsef

« Reply #1645 on: 16 Dec 2023, 05:23 am »

The issue may be that my browser identifies the site as "not secure." But I am unable to do anything about it.

Hey, we're going to get this sorted out. I also have a BDP-2 and nothing is going to stand in the way of me using it. I just verified that I can use the device on my Mac. Which MacOS version are you using and which web browser? In my experience, the simple logins that Bryston has provided don't always work for me so I generally just get the local IP from the BDP front panel and then type it into the address bar in the web browser. I have never had occasion to think about the MAC address. Don't even think of giving up unless you can move to a BDP-3. This would be faster when scanning for new tracks and so forth but would not sound different.

speltz

« Reply #1646 on: 16 Dec 2023, 01:26 pm »
Hey, we're going to get this sorted out. I also have a BDP-2 and nothing is going to stand in the way of me using it. I just verified that I can use the device on my Mac. Which MacOS version are you using and which web browser? In my experience, the simple logins that Bryston has provided don't always work for me so I generally just get the local IP from the BDP front panel and then type it into the address bar in the web browser. I have never had occasion to think about the MAC address. Don't even think of giving up unless you can move to a BDP-3. This would be faster when scanning for new tracks and so forth but would not sound different.
Hey, Jozsef, thanks for the encouragement. I’m expecting a call from Bryston to see if we can get it sorted out.

It’s strictly a browser issue. I downloaded the Rigelian app and it can ‘see’ the BDP-2. I can also move files to the BDP-2 via Finder. So I’m definitely connected to the internet.

But I still get a blank page on the browser—any browser. I usually use Safari but I’ve also tried Chrome, Firefox, and even Explorer (yuck).

Now that I can build a playlist and access basic features through Rigelian, I’m using my BDP-2 again. But I can’t use the USB input because I need to access the dashboard, then go to audio devices, and tick the appropriate box. Rigelian doesn’t access that part of the BDP-2 system.

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #1647 on: 16 Dec 2023, 02:25 pm »
Hi - please email Chris on this - crice@bryston.com

james

Ekimnodyl

« Reply #1648 on: 16 Dec 2023, 10:07 pm »
Hi there

I've got, what seems to me, a strange problem with my BPD-2. It wasn't responding to the web interface so I went to reboot it and saw the message 'Please insert a USB drive with at least 400mb available'. Wasn't expecting that. I tried rebooting it and after the boot up sequence got the same message. Prior to that a screen very briefly flashed up saying 'Repartitioning internal flash' .

I've tried rebooting with a suitable freshly formatted usb thumb drive plugged in, and also rebooting and plugging in the same usb thumb drive. Nothing seems to get me off the 'Please insert a USB drive with at least 400mb available' screen.

Has anybody got any ideas what's going on here? this seems to have sprung out of nowhere with no 'provocation'.

Thanks in advance for any help or ideas

Bridger

« Reply #1649 on: 4 Jan 2024, 04:29 pm »
Recently developed a 09 error when booting my bdp-2 which disappeared if I disconnected my ssd. I have removed the drive and copied all my music files to an external hard drive. (Yes I should have backed up before now!!) The ssd is now connected externally by USB. All music appears to be present and no 09 error. The suggestion from tech support (thanks) is that the ssd has corrupted Linux system files and should be re-formatted before being placed back into the bdp-2 with the music being copied back from my backups.

I am hesitant to do this because if the backups have not worked I am totally screwed. I was wondering if there was any way in which the corrupted Linux files could be recovered/replaced whilst leaving my music intact? I must add that my knowledge of matters Linux is totally zero.

It did also occur to me that this may be warning that the drive may be on its way out and I should invest in a new one

speltz

« Reply #1650 on: 4 Jan 2024, 05:35 pm »
Good news, Bryston support was able to resolve the issue I described earlier. I’ve been using the BDP-2 for a couple of weeks since then without a hiccup.

Bryston had me use the front panel of the BDP-2 to reset something in the settings. (I’m reluctant to go into details—I don’t want to be responsible for anyone messing with the settings based on my second-hand info.)

Once that was done, the BDP-2 rebooted. It was then immediately recognized by my browsers again, both on my MacBook Pro and on my iPad.

Kudos to Bryston! :thumb: It would have put a serious damper on my Christmas vacation if I couldn’t listen to music.

Matt Cooney

Re: BDP3 not accessing internet
« Reply #1651 on: 8 Jan 2024, 12:40 am »
This seemed the best circle even though the device at issue is a BDP3 I just acquired.  I am familiar with use of the BDP1 and BDP2.  This BDP3 is connected to my LAN and is behaving correctly as a LAN-connected device in every way ...except "BDP has no internet connection."  So it will not update firmware, or log in to Tidal, etc.  It will play data from my NAS, and all the configuration options appear to be normal, just no "internet connection."  Luckily, I have a BDP2 and it is working fine.  Both BDPs are on the same router, look the same in the router interface utility, and look the same in the BDP settings.  But will not communicate outside the LAN.

Thanks for any help. 

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #1652 on: 8 Jan 2024, 12:32 pm »
Matt - email Chris on this - crice@bryston.com

Matt Cooney

« Reply #1653 on: 15 Jan 2024, 01:30 am »
A new problem for me.

With my BDP-2, I cannot log in to Tidal.  The Media Player screen SAYS I am logged in, but I get no lists or service, and the Settings show "Not logged in."  I cannot force the BDP to present the Tidal login screen.  It will present "Log in to Tidal," and when I click that, it will not go the login screen; it will be tell me I am logged in, as if holding a cookie that thinks I am logged in.  I am using a Chromebook.  I have powered down the CHromebook, reset the BDP2 to factory, left the BDP2 unplugged for 10 or 20 seconds, and no matter what, when I attempt to log in to Tidal, it tells me I already am (and none of my Tidal functionality is working of course).

Jozsef

« Reply #1654 on: 2 Feb 2024, 02:47 am »
Recently developed a 09 error when booting my bdp-2 which disappeared if I disconnected my ssd. I have removed the drive and copied all my music files to an external hard drive. (Yes I should have backed up before now!!) The ssd is now connected externally by USB. All music appears to be present and no 09 error. The suggestion from tech support (thanks) is that the ssd has corrupted Linux system files and should be re-formatted before being placed back into the bdp-2 with the music being copied back from my backups.

I am hesitant to do this because if the backups have not worked I am totally screwed. I was wondering if there was any way in which the corrupted Linux files could be recovered/replaced whilst leaving my music intact? I must add that my knowledge of matters Linux is totally zero.

It did also occur to me that this may be warning that the drive may be on its way out and I should invest in a new one

My last encounter with Error 09 was solved by replacing the CR2032 coin cell on the motherboard.  The Linux system files are on a CF card and not on your storage drive so we may be dealing with a misunderstanding somewhere. It still wouldn't hurt to copy your music files in case some sort of file system corruption occurred on the SSD somehow. I'm not a programmer so unfortunately, I can't speculate on the cause or nature of your issue. If you're still having trouble, email Adam, atanner@bryston.com and see what he says. He's a smart fellow. :)

Jozsef

« Reply #1655 on: 2 Feb 2024, 03:05 am »
i understand the BDP1 is old tech and support is diminishing, still like to use it for convince, but it has started to give me issues. Wanted to follow up with the group seee if anyone has faced these and if there are work arounds.

The unit no longer wanted to connect my NAS (QNAP) It does see it and find it, but cannot find any of the shares. (No pull down for it). Using SMB, even tried setting nas to SMB1, as per another post. No luck

Tidal, really does not want to play any songs. Tries, then skips over them to go to the next song. Keeps doing this until it hits the end of the playlist.

Any advice would be appreciated.

While I have not had those issues, I can tell you that the BDP-1 has not lost any features as a result of firmware updates. It should work at least as well as new with the latest Manic Moose version. I've only ever used an external drive and USB flash drives rather than a NAS or anything more elaborate so I can't comment on those. My guess is that you do not have a hardware failure but it's only a guess. I would email Adam at atanner@bryston.com and see what he says.

ncaahockeyfan

« Reply #1656 on: 21 Feb 2024, 11:40 am »
Just upgraded my Allo Digione Signature to a BDP-2 (2017 build). I used my Allo exclusively for Qobuz streaming with BubbleUPNP.

I would like to do the same with the BDP-2, but am unable to figure out how to configure the BDP to boot into  DLNA Renderer mode.

Can I use a startup script to automatically enable it?

Additionally, are there features I could disable to speed up the boot process?

My Allo was powered on 24/7. I am using the trigger from my SP-3 to toggle it off/on.

speltz

« Reply #1657 on: 21 Feb 2024, 01:20 pm »
A new problem for me.

With my BDP-2, I cannot log in to Tidal.  The Media Player screen SAYS I am logged in, but I get no lists or service, and the Settings show "Not logged in."  I cannot force the BDP to present the Tidal login screen.  It will present "Log in to Tidal," and when I click that, it will not go the login screen; it will be tell me I am logged in, as if holding a cookie that thinks I am logged in.  I am using a Chromebook.  I have powered down the CHromebook, reset the BDP2 to factory, left the BDP2 unplugged for 10 or 20 seconds, and no matter what, when I attempt to log in to Tidal, it tells me I already am (and none of my Tidal functionality is working of course).
This suggestion may be something you have already thought of — but I would log out of Tidal, since it says you’re logged in. Then you should have the option of logging back in, and MAYBE that will resolve the issue you’re stuck with.

mcochris

« Reply #1658 on: 9 Mar 2024, 01:52 am »
New BDP-3 owner here. I installed an SSD on the internal SATA port and can play the files on it. I really like the user interface and the ability to store the files internally.

Does anyone know how to transfer files from a USB drive plugged into the BDP-3 to the internal SSD? The USB drive is recognized and can play files. But here doesn't seem to be option in the UI to copy files. I prefer keeping all my music on the internal SSD. If there's a way to get to the Linux command line, I know how to copy files.

Thanks for any advise!

inglisd

« Reply #1659 on: 9 Mar 2024, 12:57 pm »
on Win10 with Putty I can ssh into my BDP-2 by entering the IP address
displayed on the web UI (mybryston.com) on port 22.  username is bryston, same
for password.  df command to list mounted drives.  I also have installed an internal
SSD and can read off all my folders and flac files.   I have not tried copying over from
another USB drive.