BRYSTON BDP-1/2 FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS THREAD

zoom25

Re: BRYSTON BDP-1/2 FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS THREAD
« Reply #1600 on: 3 Feb 2022, 08:51 pm »
Hi zoom25!

Thank you so much for a most informative post! You're quite a gentleman! Also, I am quite impressed that you know I live in Croatia. I rarely hide anything but it's amazing to me that people actually read what I write.

I read the article you suggested and found some interested contenders in my area. I typically try to buy from stores that actually 'exist' because they're less likely to disappear when you have to claim warranty. You know, the kind where you come around the following month only to find a pizzeria where the store used to stand.

In any case, this is how much some of these drives cost here:
1. Samsung 870 EVO 1TB, 5 year warranty - 976 HRK (130 €)
2. Crucial MX500 1TB, 5 year warranty - 807 HRK (108 €)
3. Crucial BX500 1TB, 3 year warranty - 721 HRK (96 €)
4. Kingston A400 960GB, 3 year warranty - 759 HRK (101 €)

The Samsung is likely the best one but it is also the most expensive one. I now know that there are different 'levels' of SSDs and that 'SSD is not an SSD'. In the case of these drives, the Crucial BX500 and Kingston A400 do not have a DRAM apparently which, if I understood this right, is basically a buffer (like computer RAM, of a sort) and allows for quicker access times. In fact, some fellow (I actually quite like his videos) specifically spoke against buying a non-DRAM SSD.

I must say, this is confusing a bit because my brother who assembles my PCs for me, just informed me that my "old" CAD workstation we just renewed does in fact use two Crusial BX500 drives running in "RAID 1" array. And according to the online source, this one should be slow. Interesting.

In any case, how do you feel about these drives taking into account the price? I know, the prices are high but they have always been high in Europe and they will only get higher.

Thanks again mate!

Cheers - Antun

Hi Antun, for your strict purpose of using it internally with only the BDP's CPU and its gigabit interface, you won't really be noticing any differences. For myself, I have to always take these things into account with photo or video editing with huge data rates, as each project can often balloon to X00GB+. I'm constantly reading and writing lots of data on my drives, so I need something that is both reliable long term with a high TBW (Terabytes Written) and fast enough in real time that it doesn't cause any lags or get sagged down after a while due to a poor buffer. For those purposes, I use NVMe drives both externally and internally. Those are rated for 2500+MB/s.

For basic audio playback, all of those drives should work fine, but I'd only feel comfortable going with the Crucial MX500 and the Samsung 870 EVO (if you can find the older 860 EVO for cheaper - get it. That's also still better than the MX500. I have 2 of those). I use and recommend these 2 drives for SATA exclusively to all my friends and family whenever doing builds. I also buy RAM from Crucial for my NUCs and Macs. Never had an issue myself or with any friend/family's builds.

You can maybe save a few bucks by going for the cheaper Kingston or BX500, but I'd personally still go for the MX500 or EVO for the peace of mind. These are the highest performing, and more importantly, the most reliable drives on the market.

You should obviously read up and ask around to feel confident about your decision, but I'm just letting you know that if I needed another SATA SSD, I wouldn't even be considering the A400 or BX500. It'd only be between the MX500 and Samsung EVO. The MX500 and Evo do offer a higher 5 year warranty in comparison to the 3 years of the other two, however there's less chances of you even needing to use the warranty in the first place with the Samsung and MX500 because of their class leading reliability. I have read mixed things about the A400

Between the MX500 and Samsung EVO, as I previously told you and you found out for yourself, the EVO has a higher retail price than the MX500 but also does perform a bit better than the MX500. However, both of these drives are on my "peace of mind" list and I would have no issues going for the MX500 if I needed a drive right away and the Samsung wasn't on sale and the price difference was too much. Not sure about Croatia, but here in US and Canada, whenever the Samsungs do go on sale (especially big ones like Black Friday), they actually get very steep discounts. They can actually be had for as cheap or cheaper than other lower class drives.

With the prices you listed, I wouldn't even be considering the BX500 or A400. The MX500 is easily worth the 7-12 € difference. I 100% recommend that drive if you can't find the Samsung on sale and you need a SSD soon. :thumb:

dumanski

« Reply #1601 on: 18 Mar 2022, 11:41 pm »
Now that we enjoyed our free trial with tidal, they have conveniently rolled me in for hi fi plus. So now my question is anyone have information on how to play the higher resolution stuff through the BDP-1 so far so good…
Just hoping to hear the HI RES !
Using simple manic moose on I pad.
Cheers

speltz

« Reply #1602 on: 27 Apr 2022, 11:26 am »
Hi James and Chris:

I don't have a question, I just wanted to say Thank You for all the hours of enjoyment I've experienced with my BDP-1 and BDA-2.

I've had a BDP-1 since October 2012 and it has performed flawlessly. All I wanted was a digital transport that would function exactly like a CD transport, but would open up the possibility of using high res files. I know that's exactly what you designed the BDP-1 to be, so it became my first Bryston purchase.

I finally replaced the BDP-1 with a BDP-2 this week in order to listen to .dsd files. I have some .dsd and .dsf downloads but I have also acquired a few dozen SACDs. I plan to figure out how to rip the SACDs to digital files (strictly for my own use, of course).

That means I also need to upgrade my BDA-2 to a BDA-3. For now, I'm using a NuPrime DAC-9 as a stopgap so I'm already enjoying .dsf from the BDP-2. But I also have a Sony SACD player with an HDMI output that will mate with the BDA-3 once I get it.

I have a Bryston 4B3 power amp too, and I doubt I will ever feel a need to upgrade it.

I wanted to pass along my gratitude and let you both know how excited I am about continuing to advance in my audiophile journey, using Bryston's truly excellent gear. I know the BDP-1 is an outdated product even though it still delivers wonderfully on its original promise. Now that I have finally replaced mine, this seemed like a suitable time to pass along my thanks. :beer:

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
« Reply #1603 on: 27 Apr 2022, 12:01 pm »
Hi James and Chris:

I don't have a question, I just wanted to say Thank You for all the hours of enjoyment I've experienced with my BDP-1 and BDA-2.

I've had a BDP-1 since October 2012 and it has performed flawlessly. All I wanted was a digital transport that would function exactly like a CD transport, but would open up the possibility of using high res files. I know that's exactly what you designed the BDP-1 to be, so it became my first Bryston purchase.

I finally replaced the BDP-1 with a BDP-2 this week in order to listen to .dsd files. I have some .dsd and .dsf downloads but I have also acquired a few dozen SACDs. I plan to figure out how to rip the SACDs to digital files (strictly for my own use, of course).

That means I also need to upgrade my BDA-2 to a BDA-3. For now, I'm using a NuPrime DAC-9 as a stopgap so I'm already enjoying .dsf from the BDP-2. But I also have a Sony SACD player with an HDMI output that will mate with the BDA-3 once I get it.

I have a Bryston 4B3 power amp too, and I doubt I will ever feel a need to upgrade it.

I wanted to pass along my gratitude and let you both know how excited I am about continuing to advance in my audiophile journey, using Bryston's truly excellent gear. I know the BDP-1 is an outdated product even though it still delivers wonderfully on its original promise. Now that I have finally replaced mine, this seemed like a suitable time to pass along my thanks. :beer:

Well thank you sir - its great to know that people are getting enjoyment from our products.  :thumb:

james

freshaudio

« Reply #1604 on: 5 May 2022, 04:44 am »
I moved myself introduce here for more frequently member visit.

Hello James and audiocircle member

My name is Hien and from Vietnam. Fell in love with Bryston gears for years since I've owned 4B-SST, BP-26, BDP-1USB then here have you a question.
Will BDP-1/2/3 be firmware updated to compatible with an AVB networking?

Thanks for reading.

Hien

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #1605 on: 5 May 2022, 01:22 pm »
I moved myself introduce here for more frequently member visit.

Hello James and audiocircle member

My name is Hien and from Vietnam. Fell in love with Bryston gears for years since I've owned 4B-SST, BP-26, BDP-1USB then here have you a question.
Will BDP-1/2/3 be firmware updated to compatible with an AVB networking?

Thanks for reading.

Hien

Hi Hein - no plans for AVB

james

piezoman

• Decware: Torii MK V, Zbit, ZRock2
« Reply #1606 on: 16 Jul 2022, 12:20 am »
Hello,

I can't get my BDP-2 to get any further than "Initializing...."   It just says its Stopped.

I've tried 10 times, shutting down then starting up, the same thing happens repeatedly.

Thanks, Brad

unincognito

• Industry Participant
    • bryston.com
« Reply #1607 on: 16 Jul 2022, 09:24 pm »
Hello,

I can't get my BDP-2 to get any further than "Initializing...."   It just says its Stopped.

I've tried 10 times, shutting down then starting up, the same thing happens repeatedly.

Thanks, Brad

Hi Brad,

Please check out this article,

http://support.bryston.com/downloads/BDP/Error%2009.pdf

Chris

piezoman

• Decware: Torii MK V, Zbit, ZRock2
« Reply #1608 on: 16 Jul 2022, 10:28 pm »
Hi Chris,

Thank you but I don’t see an error message. Just “Stopped”. This has just started to occur out of the blue after 2+ years of flawless operation in my BDP-2.

Regards, Brad

thomlieb

« Reply #1609 on: 4 Aug 2022, 02:36 pm »
Hello all, and a warm greeting to James and Chris.

I am a longtime user of the BDP-1, and aside from a few small issues over the years -- that Chris always readily helped me deal with -- the player has brought me countless hours of musical joy.

As my digital music collection has expanded, it has become a chore to deal with swapping in different hard drives directly to the BDP-1. So I just bought and set up a Synology DS920+ NAS and installed Plex. I'm not finding it easy to locate instructions on how to connect the BDP-1 to the NAS, though I am sure it has been discussed and is probably easy. If someone can point me to a tutorial or previous post, I would greatly appreciate it. Thanks.

Thom
Baltimore MD USA

MoPac

« Reply #1610 on: 22 Aug 2022, 09:11 pm »
S2.45  2022-05-26           Windows 10

Chris:
 I replaced an external drive with a larger one.  It shows in Manic Moose, but not in Network/BRYSTON-BDP-2.  The Screenshots explain it better.
    Thanks for any help.  Rich

MoPac

« Reply #1611 on: 22 Aug 2022, 10:59 pm »
chris:
 Resolved the above issue with a power down & unplug ( not sure the unplug was necessary ).  The Drive500 folder now shows.

Probably should have done this first after the drive was plugged in.

Thanks again.  Rich :duh:

speltz

« Reply #1612 on: 1 Sep 2022, 10:53 am »
Hi folks! I often get a “FILE 7” message when I reboot my BDP-2. Can anyone tell me what it means?

I don’t recall ever seeing the message until I installed a new internal SSD drive: Intel D3-S4510 960 GB SATA. Now i regularly get that message, or sometimes “FILE 4”, any time I have to shutdown my gear and reboot.

unincognito

• Industry Participant
    • bryston.com
« Reply #1613 on: 8 Sep 2022, 04:18 pm »
chris:
 Resolved the above issue with a power down & unplug ( not sure the unplug was necessary ).  The Drive500 folder now shows.

Probably should have done this first after the drive was plugged in.

Thanks again.  Rich :duh:

Thats one way to rebuild the shares file, alternatively you can stop and then start the samba service found in the services settings page.

Chris

unincognito

• Industry Participant
    • bryston.com
« Reply #1614 on: 8 Sep 2022, 04:36 pm »
Hello all, and a warm greeting to James and Chris.

I am a longtime user of the BDP-1, and aside from a few small issues over the years -- that Chris always readily helped me deal with -- the player has brought me countless hours of musical joy.

As my digital music collection has expanded, it has become a chore to deal with swapping in different hard drives directly to the BDP-1. So I just bought and set up a Synology DS920+ NAS and installed Plex. I'm not finding it easy to locate instructions on how to connect the BDP-1 to the NAS, though I am sure it has been discussed and is probably easy. If someone can point me to a tutorial or previous post, I would greatly appreciate it. Thanks.

Thom
Baltimore MD USA

Hi Thom,

You'll likely need to enable SMB v1 support on your synology NAS before it will work, but once you've done that you should be able to use the NAS setup settings page to configure your BDP to talk to your NAS.  Linked below is the Manic Moose manual which briefly discusses how to configure the BDP to use a network share.

http://support.bryston.com/downloads/BDP/Manic%20Moose%20Manual.pdf

Chris

beeah

« Reply #1615 on: 17 Sep 2022, 06:59 pm »
You'll likely need to enable SMB v1 support

Is there no plan to implement SMB2 in MM?  I ask because can no longer access my BDP-1 over IP from my Windows 10 machine, which is where I download all of my digital music.  In spite of my prior ignorance of the issue, I will not reenable SMB1 on my Windows machine due to security concerns:

https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-server/storage/file-server/troubleshoot/smbv1-not-installed-by-default-in-windows

https://techcommunity.microsoft.com/t5/storage-at-microsoft/stop-using-smb1/ba-p/425858

Bandcamp is my primary source of music, and having to physically move an external drive between one device and another to listen to new music is antediluvian.  I love my BDP-1, but its utility has greatly diminished as a result of this limitation.

Any updates or alternative suggestions are welcome.

Cheers,
Joe

Asimov

« Reply #1616 on: 27 Sep 2022, 04:54 pm »
Aloha James and Chris!
I bought the early version of BDP-1 and BDA-1, maybe around 2010, and got a Bryston thumb drive as a gift for the early buyers. I'm not using the BDP-1 since 2012 and after a decade I fired it up yesterday but it was showing an error code. But it was gone when I replaced the MB battery. Now it is up and running and sounding nice after a decade!!

However, I failed to upgrade the firmware, now it's S2.06 2014-10-07 - Manic Moose. MPD: 0.18.6 Kernel:3.12-0.bpo.1-486.
After clicking "Update" it shows"Starting Firmware Upgrade" but no activity after that.
Please let me know how to update the firmware.

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #1617 on: 27 Sep 2022, 07:51 pm »
HI - email Adam - atanner@brsyton.com

james

nbrigido

CF Card
« Reply #1618 on: 4 Nov 2022, 06:39 pm »
Hi,

I just acquired another BDP-1. I actually enjoy them and the overall sound quality better most of the midline stuff out there. I have a couple fo quick questions and have been searching for answers, but no luck or I did not search hard enough

1. The CF card, does installing a larger CF card have any advantages? Speed, storage,....
2. Scratch Disk, again does size matter and once installed is there anything else that has to be done?
3. How do i remove old drives from the memory. When i go to media player still thinking there are old unplugged drives there?

Thank you again in advance

Chris Cheung

« Reply #1619 on: 17 Nov 2022, 02:13 pm »
Hi, I have a BDP-1 that continually freezes with the lateness firmware dated Oct 03,2022. I have not experienced any problems with previous firmware update. Would rollback my unit with an older version firmware helps? Has anyone encounter the same issue as me?