6dB gain for our TVC

PromitheusAudio

• Promitheusaudio
6dB gain for our TVC
« on: 7 Apr 2008, 08:18 am »
I would like to gauge the interest for our TVC to have the 6dB gain option

This would be accomplish by having a step up transformer to increase the voltage. INstead of the conventional TVC doing the stepup
I am not in favor of asking the TVC to do the stepup.

This option would be an extra of about USD80-100 extra for the reference and standard issues

The step ups are only fitted if the 6dB extra is needed

awkwardbydesign

Re: 6dB gain for our TVC
« Reply #1 on: 10 Apr 2008, 09:57 am »
I bought the standard TVC a month or two ago, and I find I need more gain.  Luckily I use an active crossover, so I have increased the gain in that.
If I was buying a new TVC I would go for the +6dB option.
Richard.

awkwardbydesign

« Reply #2 on: 12 Apr 2008, 02:43 pm »
I just thought, can I add the 6dB step-up transformers to my existing TVC?  I can do the work myself, but would there be room in the case, even if the original transformers have to be moved?
Having 2 sets of output sockets means I could choose between 0 or 6dB.

kp93300

« Reply #3 on: 12 Apr 2008, 05:27 pm »
Hi Nic,
may be you can consider a simpler and cheaper solid state version of the Apollo for people without  enough gain .
Have a switch for people to choose between direct or with buffer
Cheers
kp93300

Carrickfergus

« Reply #4 on: 16 Apr 2008, 01:49 am »
I have been using the standard SE Tvc for about a month now and find that I am more than satisfied with the gain I am getting.  My CDP specs out at 2V output.  I'm using an Adcom 545 MKII, and I have speakers that are relatively efficient and are an easy load.  I couldn't be happier with the gain and the dynamics of the Promitheus, let alone the transparency.

KKG

« Reply #5 on: 18 Apr 2008, 10:04 am »
I would like to gauge the interest for our TVC to have the 6dB gain option.

This would be accomplish by having a step up transformer to increase the voltage. INstead of the conventional TVC doing the stepup

This option would be an extra of about USD80-100 extra for the reference and standard issues

Hi Nick

Would this be something of a passive Appollo?

PromitheusAudio

• Promitheusaudio
« Reply #6 on: 24 Apr 2008, 04:14 am »
I just thought, can I add the 6dB step-up transformers to my existing TVC?  I can do the work myself, but would there be room in the case, even if the original transformers have to be moved?
Having 2 sets of output sockets means I could choose between 0 or 6dB.

The transformer can be added by your self, there would be more than enough space to add it. Yes you can use one of the sockets for the 6dB boost.

good idea with 6db used for one of the sockets

PromitheusAudio

• Promitheusaudio
« Reply #7 on: 24 Apr 2008, 04:32 am »
I would like to gauge the interest for our TVC to have the 6dB gain option.

Hi Nick

Would this be something of a passive Appollo?

something like it but it would not have the low driving impedance of the apollo. I would say it would be the cheaper alternative

KKG

« Reply #8 on: 24 Apr 2008, 10:23 am »
Hi Nick
it would not have the low driving impedance of the apollo.

Could you please elaborate on this for a lay-person?

Thanks.

awkwardbydesign

« Reply #9 on: 28 Apr 2008, 04:55 pm »
Are the +6dB transformers available now, and if so, how much would a pair cost me?  If I can afford to, I would like to add them as soon as possible, before I start trying to increase the gain further along the audio chain, as that would add noise to my system.

cityjim

« Reply #10 on: 29 Apr 2008, 09:10 am »
Are the +6dB transformers available now, and if so, how much would a pair cost me?  If I can afford to, I would like to add them as soon as possible, before I start trying to increase the gain further along the audio chain, as that would add noise to my system.

"before I start trying to increase the gain further along the audio chain, as that would add noise to my system." 

awkwardbydesign is totally correct here . Anytime you amplify something you are adding gain . Sole purpose of an amp . We must remember that an amp amplifies the signal AND the noise at the same time . More gain = more noise . No wonder battery power preamps and low gain SET amps are so pleasing to the ear . 

audiodoc

« Reply #11 on: 2 May 2008, 02:00 am »
Nick-I'm interested in a set of step up transformers with optional switch to add or remove.

Mike

awkwardbydesign

« Reply #12 on: 3 May 2008, 08:49 am »
(awkwardbydesign is totally correct here . Anytime you amplify something you are adding gain . Sole purpose of an amp . We must remember that an amp amplifies the signal AND the noise at the same time . More gain = more noise . No wonder battery power preamps and low gain SET amps are so pleasing to the ear . )

Unfortunately, low gain SET + efficient speaker is as noisy as a high gain amp + inefficient speaker, n'est ce pas?

Randy

« Reply #13 on: 26 May 2008, 03:37 am »
I assume this gain buffer would require AC, right? I might go for one, but would like the on/off option since for most of my CDs "no gain" is adequate and I would hope to stay off the grid as much as possible. Some CDs are recorded at a low level, and with these the extra gain would be nice.