Duratex

RMarshall

• Roger
Duratex
« on: 3 Aug 2022, 02:14 am »
Hey, new guy here.

Just ordered the X-LS Encore Kit, and looking forward to the new project. I got the basic kit with the tube connectors.

Instead of getting the flatpack, I got the pre-built cabs. I looked at the cost of buying the clamps and other stuff, and decided for an extra $100 for the pre-made it just made more sense.

I have a couple questions about finishing the cabs.

Duratex. What is it exactly? It seems that it's design is for a textured finish, which I don't want. I'm hoping for a glossy black finish. If Duratex is more of a sealer coat, then I might be interested.

Will the MDF take fine sanding well? I'm hoping that with a good sanding regimen, I'll be able to achieve a smooth glossy finish.

Any tips  or directions to pertinent threads would be much appreciated.

Roger

FullRangeMan

• Facilitator
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
Re: Duratex
« Reply #1 on: 3 Aug 2022, 02:23 am »
Welcome to AC  :thumb:

RMarshall

• Roger
« Reply #2 on: 3 Aug 2022, 02:33 am »
Thank you.

Early B.

« Reply #3 on: 3 Aug 2022, 03:15 am »
Duratex. What is it exactly? It seems that it's design is for a textured finish, which I don't want. I'm hoping for a glossy black finish.

Duratex is a textured finish. It's not what you want if you desire a glossy finish.

RMarshall

• Roger
« Reply #4 on: 3 Aug 2022, 03:39 am »
That was the impression I had. I appreciate the reply.

Phil A

« Reply #5 on: 3 Aug 2022, 01:11 pm »
Welcome to AC!

S Clark

• a riot is the language of the unheard- Dr. King
« Reply #6 on: 3 Aug 2022, 01:16 pm »

I have a couple questions about finishing the cabs.

Duratex. What is it exactly? It seems that it's design is for a textured finish, which I don't want. I'm hoping for a glossy black finish. If Duratex is more of a sealer coat, then I might be interested. It's pick up truck bed liner

Will the MDF take fine sanding well? I'm hoping that with a good sanding regimen, I'll be able to achieve a smooth glossy finish.  MDF takes fine sanding very well

RMarshall

• Roger
« Reply #7 on: 4 Aug 2022, 01:25 am »
Ya know guys, when I signed up for this forum, I thought it was GR Research's forum. Now I realize that GR Research is just a small part of a much more comprehensive audio forum that I never knew existed. What a bonus! :)

My questions about Duratex come from the fact that Danny recommended it in one of his video's. Plus he sells it from his site. I looked into it and thought maybe I was missing something. It didn't seem like a product I needed. I appreciate the info. Especially about it being used as truck bed liner. Now that's funny.

I hope to receive the kit soon, and get started with the build.

Roger

ArthurDent

• Don't Panic / Mostly Harmless
« Reply #8 on: 4 Aug 2022, 05:28 pm »
Greetings & Welcome to AC Roger   :thumb:

DannyBadorine

« Reply #9 on: 4 Aug 2022, 06:08 pm »
The MDF should take sanding without problems.  I have never used DuraTex but I have finished several MDF speakers by sealing them with an oil-based polyurethane and then painting them (spray or roll on).  It takes a few coats of Polyurethane with sanding in between (220 grit the first time then 320 the second time).  Any surface imperfections that you see in the MDF will show when you're done painting so take your time.  If you paint the MDF without sealing it you will have a lot of the paint soak into the wood and it won't look as good.  If you seal it properly then your paint will look good in the end.

RMarshall

• Roger
« Reply #10 on: 5 Aug 2022, 01:20 am »
Thanks for the info Danny. I will look into getting a good oil based sealer.

Roger