New member - hello from Ann Arbor, MI, USA

ddoi67

New member - hello from Ann Arbor, MI, USA
« on: 13 Jul 2022, 12:47 am »
Hello All, my name is Dai.  I'm getting back into 2 channel hi-fi and analog.  My son started buying LPs without having a turntable.  At the moment, I'm looking into getting some of the gear I drooled over but couldn't afford in the 80s.  Some of it (most of it) is still unobtanium but some of it is reasonable.  I managed to hold on to my (and acquire more) speakers.  I'm also interested in DIY and tweaks/mods.  Anyway, I imagine a kind of vintage and custom-built hybrid setup.  Thanks in advance for sharing your knowledge and experiences!

FullRangeMan

• Facilitator
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
Re: New member - hello from Ann Arbor, MI, USA
« Reply #1 on: 13 Jul 2022, 03:31 am »
Welcome to AC  :thumb:
I also buy LPs for the beautiful classic albums covers, not to listen.

Phil A

« Reply #2 on: 13 Jul 2022, 11:39 am »
Welcome!

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
« Reply #3 on: 13 Jul 2022, 12:15 pm »
Welcome!

We live 70 miles apart.  Have been into stereo/audio since the late 60's.  At that time it was vinyl based but I invested in a very nice cassette recorder as I worked at the college radio station and wanted to copy their library.  But by the early 80's had literally dropped and broke my nice turntable, so went to CD's and have stayed the digital path ever since.  In 2005 moved into a new house with a well designed dedicated listening room/office.  About that same time commissioned single driver floor standers, but have also dabbled in active monitors which I liked too.  Have dipped my toes into tubes but without success.

ArthurDent

• Don't Panic / Mostly Harmless
« Reply #4 on: 13 Jul 2022, 01:35 pm »
Greetings & Welcome to AC Dai   :thumb:

VinceT

« Reply #5 on: 13 Jul 2022, 02:49 pm »
Howdy neighbor
 I'm in Ypsilanti, we have a really nice group of folks here. Welcome

mmbst

« Reply #6 on: 26 Jul 2022, 07:54 am »
Welcome Dai! Former A2 fella here.
Also a new member here...howdy!

Jeff_From_Michigan

« Reply #7 on: 26 Jul 2022, 12:48 pm »
Welcome to both ddoi67 and mmbst!

VinceT, a good friend of mine who lives in Ypsi recently asked me if I know anything about vinyl, and I had to admit that I don't.  I gave my turntable and all of my albums to my DJ brother 30 years ago, and went to CD's and now streaming.

So my question:  Does your group meet to discuss turntables and listen to each others' vinyl rigs? Maybe on the lower-budget/high value end?

All I could tell Jim was that a couple of friends have Pro-ject Debut TT's and they like them, and that I've read good things on the forums about U-Turn and Rega.

Thanks in advance!

VinceT

« Reply #8 on: 26 Jul 2022, 05:00 pm »
Welcome to both ddoi67 and mmbst!

VinceT, a good friend of mine who lives in Ypsi recently asked me if I know anything about vinyl, and I had to admit that I don't.  I gave my turntable and all of my albums to my DJ brother 30 years ago, and went to CD's and now streaming.

So my question:  Does your group meet to discuss turntables and listen to each others' vinyl rigs? Maybe on the lower-budget/high value end?

All I could tell Jim was that a couple of friends have Pro-ject Debut TT's and they like them, and that I've read good things on the forums about U-Turn and Rega.

Thanks in advance!

I do not belong to a physical group or club in SE MI, however; there are many circles here in AC and you can search and ask away and get the info you need! Though, that would be cool if we could for a group like that one day.

mmbst

« Reply #9 on: 27 Jul 2022, 04:13 am »
Thanks Jeff_From_Michigan!