Hello from NorCal, East Bay

Audiofossil

Hello from NorCal, East Bay
« on: 27 Jun 2022, 07:58 pm »
My name is Jack,

My original interest in audio was around 1960 while in high school.  With almost no money, no one to share my interest, I somehow scrounged together two ElectroVoice LS8’s and a pair of University horn tweeters.  Probably from a rummage sale.  I built a pair of enclosures from 3/4” plywood and I was hooked.

Through the years I’ve built an owned some good mid-fi stuff including Scott Kits, JBL driver Apollo and Lancer 99 speaker builds, Dynakit Stereo 70, moving coil cartridges, etc.  I gave away my turntable, cartridge, NAD equipment and Energy Reference Connoisseur’s several years ago.  I’ve been watching TV with a SONOS system since, but missing good music.

I stumbled upon Danny’s YouTube channel about a year ago, and have been learning why many speaker systems I built had problems and shortcomings.  Anyway, I’m getting the urge to build some speakers and get some decent electronics to put together a streaming setup.  Probably start with X-LS, or X-SLS Encores, and go from there.

Glad to have so much support and resources this time around

Phil A

Re: Hello from NorCal, East Bay
« Reply #1 on: 27 Jun 2022, 08:52 pm »
Welcome to AC!

FullRangeMan

• Facilitator
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #2 on: 27 Jun 2022, 09:01 pm »
Welcome to AC  :thumb:

ArthurDent

• Don't Panic / Mostly Harmless
« Reply #3 on: 27 Jun 2022, 09:40 pm »
Greetings & Welcome to AC Jack    :thumb:

Audiofossil

« Reply #4 on: 28 Jun 2022, 09:21 pm »
Thank you for the welcoming.  Wandering around the forum a little tells me I’m going to need to go slow.  It’s going to be a great resource.  Maybe I’ll eventually get in contact with some members in my area.

ACHiPo

« Reply #5 on: 28 Jun 2022, 11:47 pm »
Welcome!  Where in E. Bay?  I’m in Pleasanton.

Audiofossil

« Reply #6 on: 29 Jun 2022, 07:53 pm »
I’m in Concord, grew up in Castro Valley and Walnut Creek