The NEW X4 - First Impressions Video | These are Fantastic!

bygrace

I’m sure Ron will come through. Anxiously awaiting the sound comparisons and full-up X4 review.  8)

newzooreview

Re: The NEW X4 - First Impressions Video | These are Fantastic!
« Reply #21 on: 10 Aug 2022, 08:40 pm »
Maybe.

He posted "first impressions" and "maybe unicorn" comments on another speaker (Buchardt S400 Mark II) on May 18th. It's approaching two months now without a full review.

He's had Benchmark equipment for going on a year now. Now Burson amps are in the mix.

I donated to the cost of getting the binaural microphone for NRD, and it has seen sparing use since then.

I find the A/B comparisons of speakers somewhat informative. It is possible to hear relative qualities even if the actual in-room sound will never be captured between microphone, digitizing, and subsequent compression. Soundstage is essentially impossible to hear, even with binaural recordings.

Maybe NRD will get around to A/B binaural recordings with the Sapphires and X4. Maybe not.

It's hard to tolerate the slick willie patter of the used car sales spiel in the video scripts to mine nuggets of useful information. Calling people who literally gave him money "polly prissypants," or whatever hipster nonsense, is grating. Channels like Goldensound seem to have a lot more respect for their viewers and supporters. NRD started this thread for self promotion and then ran away.

The binaural recordings of the Sapphires compared to other speakers were helpful in nudging me towards buying them. Fortunately, I was able to listen to the Sapphires locally to ground truth things.

The direct sales model is, all said and done, a benefit to customers. I have the highest regard for Clayton and the team at Spatial Audio Labs. They are willing to develop and sell an assembled speaker that they stand behind (unlike DIY outfits that ship you the parts and leave you to the Fates.)

But I wish there were a better means of gauging speaker characteristics rather than the hit or miss availability of local auditions (mostly "miss") or coverage by Youtube folks with murky motives.

Mr. Big

« Reply #22 on: 11 Aug 2022, 01:25 pm »
Maybe.

He posted "first impressions" and "maybe unicorn" comments on another speaker (Buchardt S400 Mark II) on May 18th. It's approaching two months now without a full review.

He's had Benchmark equipment for going on a year now. Now Burson amps are in the mix.

I donated to the cost of getting the binaural microphone for NRD, which has seen sparing use since then.

I find the A/B comparisons of speakers somewhat informative. It is possible to hear relative qualities even if the actual in-room sound will never be captured between microphone, digitizing, and subsequent compression. Soundstage is essentially impossible to hear, even with binaural recordings.

Maybe NRD will get around to A/B binaural recordings with the Sapphires and X4. Maybe not.

It's hard to tolerate the slick willie patter of the used car sales spiel in the video scripts to mine nuggets of useful information. Calling people who literally gave him money "polly prissypants," or whatever hipster nonsense, is grating. Channels like Goldensound seem to have a lot more respect for their viewers and supporters. NRD started this thread for self promotion and then ran away.

The binaural recordings of the Sapphires compared to other speakers were helpful in nudging me towards buying them. Fortunately, I was able to listen to the Sapphires locally to ground truth things.

The direct sales model is, all said and done, a benefit to customers. I have the highest regard for Clayton and the team at Spatial Audio Labs. They are willing to develop and sell an assembled speaker that they stand behind (unlike DIY outfits that ship you the parts and leave you to the Fates.)

But I wish there were a better means of gauging speaker characteristics rather than the hit or miss availability of local auditions (mostly "miss") or coverage by Youtube folks with murky motives.
« Last Edit: 12 Aug 2022, 08:55 pm by Mr. Big »

Mr. Big

« Reply #23 on: 12 Aug 2022, 08:57 pm »
I got turned off for good when NRD attacked other reviewers and claimed to be self-righteous. But hey it's Youtube anyone can have a channel with little experience and like they say everyone has an opinion. Audiophiliac is a good site, Robinson site is good lots of years of experience, and a few others, but the rest are almost laughable.  OCD guy is funny at least.

newzooreview

New Record Day posted the binaural sound clips of the X4. I am glad I was wrong about the potential for the video not to materialize.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZccwhEJ5Fvs

newzooreview

It's hard to judge the X4s in comparison to the Sapphires or X5s using the sound clips since the previous Sapphire and X5 sound clips were in a different room and with a different amp (a Hegel in the earlier video). The room being used in the X4 video definitely has echo and hollowness that was not present in the previous room.

With those limitations, it does sound as if the X4s do have a very cohesive sound as NRD concludes. The articulate, natural punch to the bass also comes through. It sounds as if it adds realism and perhaps texture to the already excellent bass from the Sapphires.

The new sound clips seem to back up his statement that the upper midrange on the X4s is less energetic in a natural way that still conveys excellent detail. He says that the Sapphires have more "excitement" than the X4s in the 1500 Hz and up frequencies, but in the "first impressions" video he noted the better "sparkle" in the X4s. Hmm.

It's enjoyable to at least hear a facsimile of the X4s in a better recording than some of the show tour videos.

Mr. Big

You are correct. New room, and different gear will always equal different sounds in some areas and overall presentation. All this video or review can tell you is how a speaker sounds in this room with this gear the past is just that the past and you could never make a statement about how one speaker is better than the one you reviewed in a whole new location, room, and gear. But the X4 sounded good though not as dynamic in someway than the X series or the M3 Sapphires for sure.