Welp, at least it's not your speakers!

nadirmg

Re: Nad's NX-Studio build and rig assembly
« Reply #61 on: 25 Feb 2022, 07:53 pm »
for real! I was gonna be gutted if my crossovers had a problem....  :banghead:

nadirmg

« Reply #62 on: 25 Feb 2022, 08:28 pm »
Garry's next suggestion was the swap out the left / right DAC modules... which I just did and still no difference.

His other idea is that it's the ALPS Volume pot (not sure what that is).

Another possibility he mentioned is that my amps have different impedance levels and that the MP-D2-MK3 would pick up the difference, whereas my streamer may not pick up on it... sounds like I might need to get some help from Klaus. Garry said to use a multimeter resistor settings to measure the left and right RCA input terminal of my amp input and to make sure both are the same resistor value, such as both are 100k Ohm.

Newbie question here (after I go buy a multimeter) do I touch both prongs to the RCA input I'm measuring or does one prong touch the RCA input the other other prong touches somewhere else?

Thanks for all the help guys! I feel really excited. I'm having so much fun playing different music even without the DAC on day 2 of 21 of my burn in. These babies are goin to get so good. I can't wait for the bass to REALLY start coming in. It's pretty low right now.

nlitworld

• Strange things are afoot at the Circle K
« Reply #63 on: 27 Feb 2022, 06:00 am »
Aaron, on my build page Hobbs suggested a couple links to help with burn in. I know they're pretty obnoxious to listen to, but popping them on when you leave the house for a few hours will really help burn in the woofers. Or you could just play Dr. Dre on repeat.

nadirmg

« Reply #64 on: 1 Mar 2022, 03:01 pm »
Aaron, on my build page Hobbs suggested a couple links to help with burn in. I know they're pretty obnoxious to listen to, but popping them on when you leave the house for a few hours will really help burn in the woofers. Or you could just play Dr. Dre on repeat.

Nice! Yeah, this morning I set up an old laptop to play my dummy/free Spotify account constantly while I'm gone and brown noise while I'm home/asleep.

nadirmg

« Reply #65 on: 11 Mar 2022, 09:59 pm »
GUTTED....

I've been leaving my Musical Paradise DAC out of my rig because the right/left volume difference was different enough that I couldn't even hear the quiet speaker.

Going straight from the streamer to the amps has been how I've been enjoying my music. But I couldn't return the DAC so I've been trouble shooting with MP to figure out what the deal is.

Today I finally isolated the problem. Almost twice the voltage was coming from one of the DAC modules. When I switched those and played music through them, then the quiet speaker became the loud speaker... seemed like that solved my problem... until suddenly the newly loud speaker shut off, I smelled a burning electrical smell and saw a bit of smoke beginning to come up from my left amplifier.

GUTTED.

I'm not sure if I need to just send the amp to Klaus for repairs or if I can try putting power and a signal through it.... I'm scared to do that.

nadirmg

« Reply #66 on: 11 Mar 2022, 10:11 pm »

Contacting Klaus now who I've spoken with a few times about my amps already. He's a REALLY cool guy. I'm hoping when I send my amp(s) in he'll be able to save the one that's toasted.

nlitworld

« Reply #67 on: 12 Mar 2022, 10:44 am »
That's a bummer. At least you isolated the problem though! Hopefully you can get the repairs done without too much pain. Most companies are able and willing to do repairs like that, especially notable companies that people here deal with. The only question is at what cost and how long. At least there is now an explanation and a route to fix the problems.

nadirmg

« Reply #68 on: 15 Mar 2022, 03:49 pm »
Amps are on their way to Indiana to be repaired by Klaus.

I talked to Hobbes yesterday and think the only damage that could have happened to the speakers is to the tweeters which is a big relief. I was worried a possibility of the crossovers getting fried.

Looks like I will be without hifi music for several weeks while waiting the amps to be fixed and shipped back to me. In the meantime, I'm already pretty sold on the idea of getting a dual servo sub to go with my NX Studios.

Is it possible for me to run a single dual servo sub on this system or will i need to get a pair of dual servo subs? Will this require I get a preamp too or is there a way to get a sub going without a preamp?

Hobbsmeerkat

• Industry Participant
« Reply #69 on: 15 Mar 2022, 06:16 pm »
You can run a single dual sub on the middle of the room. Standing up or lying down. Ideally, 2 is better than one, but a single in mono will still work really well.

nadirmg

« Reply #70 on: 16 Mar 2022, 01:54 pm »
Amps are on their way to Indiana to be repaired by Klaus.

I talked to Hobbs yesterday and think the only damage that could have happened to the speakers is to the tweeters which is a big relief. I was worried a possibility of the crossovers getting fried.

Looks like I will be without hifi music for several weeks while waiting the amps to be fixed and shipped back to me. In the meantime, I'm already pretty sold on the idea of getting a dual servo sub to go with my NX Studios.

Is it possible for me to run a single dual servo sub on this system or will i need to get a pair of dual servo subs? Will this require I get a preamp too or is there a way to get a sub going without a preamp?

Thanks Hobbs! How do I connect one (or two) subs to my current system? I don't see obvious outputs like "Speaker output" "Sub output". Would I get some sort of splitter cords that come out of the amps that would go to both speakers and subs or is the only solution to get a preamp?

Hobbsmeerkat

• Industry Participant
« Reply #71 on: 16 Mar 2022, 02:40 pm »
If your DAC is the preamp, or you control the volume via your source, you will need an RCA splitter coming from the DAC. One cable going to your amps, the other going to your sub. Subs should have L/R & LFE inputs so you can connect both L&R inputs and your sub will combine them into Mono.

nadirmg

« Reply #72 on: 16 Mar 2022, 06:36 pm »
If your DAC is the preamp, or you control the volume via your source, you will need an RCA splitter coming from the DAC. One cable going to your amps, the other going to your sub. Subs should have L/R & LFE inputs so you can connect both L&R inputs and your sub will combine them into Mono.

Niiiiice!

Well, it's going to be weeks until I get my amps back from Klaus at Odyssey Audio, so I've got plenty of time to research subs. I think I'll probably go with 1 dual servo (that's 2 woofers, right?) to start out with and lay it down on the floor horizontal, and if I want/need more, then I can add a 2nd one.

8)

nadirmg

« Reply #73 on: 16 Mar 2022, 06:51 pm »
Hmmmmm....!

This one is for sale in Austin... not sure if it's sold or not.

https://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=179062.msg1882550#msg1882550

Can anyone tell me how this model of sub is different from the ones GR Research currently uses (but is out of supply on)? It'd be great to have a sub sooner than later, but if this is a major downgrade from what I could get if I'm patient, then I might as well wait.

Thanks!

Danny Richie

« Reply #74 on: 22 Mar 2022, 02:42 pm »
Hmmmmm....!

This one is for sale in Austin... not sure if it's sold or not.

https://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=179062.msg1882550#msg1882550

Can anyone tell me how this model of sub is different from the ones GR Research currently uses (but is out of supply on)? It'd be great to have a sub sooner than later, but if this is a major downgrade from what I could get if I'm patient, then I might as well wait.

Thanks!

Those are our current woofers, and that is a great deal.

nadirmg

« Reply #75 on: 13 Jul 2022, 01:58 am »
My dudes,

Does anyone know what size screws the NEO 3 tweeters use to screw in to the NX Studios? I'm having trouble getting the bottom screw in and I want to use a cap head screw like this so I can use a ball head allen wrench to tighten them down.

Something like this:
https://www.parts-express.com/M5-x-30mm-Cap-Head-Wood-Screws-Black-100-Pcs.-081-312?utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=9792868744&utm_content=100758495060&utm_term=&gadid=430004651500

I'm not sure what diameter the screw is supposed to be to fit in next in properly where the tweeter receives the screw.
I'm guessing a 1/2" length screw is fine but I'm curious about the diameter.

For now I'm going to play my speakers with only the top screws fastened. My amps have been with Odessey Audio getting repaired from the Musical Paradise DAC that fried them and I've finally got them back. Tonight is my first night to listen to my babies again!

nlitworld

« Reply #76 on: 13 Jul 2022, 02:33 am »
I followed a suggestion by Peter and sunk in some inserts and used Allen head screws in there. I believe they were 6-32 on the tweeter. Doesn't really help you on the wood screw department though.

tull skull

• I can't send hare in search of anything!
« Reply #77 on: 13 Jul 2022, 06:22 am »
Just wanted to say I am sorry you are having to deal with so many setbacks! You have a great attitude and enthusiasm so hang in there. I hope Klaus will be able to determine what happened because it seems like if you hadn't had a dac chip that was bad you would not have had to go through all this and your amps would still be in your living room. Hint hint.

nlitworld

« Reply #78 on: 13 Jul 2022, 02:19 pm »
I believe they were 6-32 on the tweeter.

I stand corrected, the little ones on the tweeter were 4-40 screws. You should be looking at a #4 screw for easy application.

Norman Tracy

« Reply #79 on: 13 Jul 2022, 06:08 pm »
nadirmg, reading your tale of woe I remain concerned the DAC has issues bad enough to fry an amp. When you discussed situation with Klaus is there a plan to assure DAC is 100% A-OK before repaired amps are plugged in?