Outstanding Demo Blu-Rays

fsimms

Outstanding Demo Blu-Rays
« on: 1 Feb 2010, 08:04 pm »
We have a good demo CD thread.  What Blu-ray concert video's sound good on the Salks.

I bought a Sony PS3 and a new HDTV.   I can play DTS stuff via the Sony.  I only have two channels.

Bob
« Last Edit: 3 Feb 2010, 05:08 pm by fsimms »

intamin22

Re: Outstanding Demo Blue Rays
« Reply #1 on: 1 Feb 2010, 08:26 pm »
Anything Pixar.
Quantom of Solace
The Dark Knight
Star Trek

jd3

« Reply #2 on: 1 Feb 2010, 08:33 pm »
David Foster's 'Hit Man'...great audio and video.

Don_S

« Reply #3 on: 1 Feb 2010, 08:57 pm »

Why do some members try to create an exclusive club for their current favorite product?  :cry: Come and play with the rest of Audio Circle.  This topic should be in a more universal circle.  Good music should be shared.

We have a good demo CD thread.  What Blueray concert video's sound good on the Salks.

I bought a Sony PS3 and a new HDTV.   I can play DTS stuff via the Sony.  I only have two channels.

Bob

fsimms

« Reply #4 on: 1 Feb 2010, 09:12 pm »
Why do some members try to create an exclusive club for their current favorite product?   Come and play with the rest of Audio Circle.  This topic should be in a more universal circle.  Good music should be shared.

Salk speakers sound differnent from many of the other speakers.  A recommendation from people with different speakers might not show off the particular talents of the Salks.

Bob

vintagebob

« Reply #5 on: 1 Feb 2010, 09:45 pm »
Roy Orbison, Black & White Night.  The guitar solos on Pretty Woman and Ooby Dooby sound great on the Salks.  I play this for most folks that stop by for a demo.  My GF was mesmerized by it.  ; )

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0017XFP4U/ref=pd_lpo_k2_dp_sr_3?pf_rd_p=486539851&pf_rd_s=lpo-top-stripe-1&pf_rd_t=201&pf_rd_i=B0000203YR&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_r=11QYB1YE5PSHYRP2MQE6

MaxCast

« Reply #6 on: 1 Feb 2010, 09:51 pm »
Why do some members try to create an exclusive club for their current favorite product?  :cry: Come and play with the rest of Audio Circle.  This topic should be in a more universal circle.  Good music should be shared.

I often wonder the same thing but that is the way it is and a perfect reason to make sure you browse all the circles.   :thumb:

zybar

• Volunteer
  • Dutch and Dutch 8C's…yes they are that good!
« Reply #7 on: 1 Feb 2010, 10:05 pm »
Salk speakers sound differnent from many of the other speakers.  A recommendation from people with different speakers might not show off the particular talents of the Salks.

Bob

Bob,

Salk speakers are very good and I am happy Salk customer, but let's not get carried away.  There are other speakers out that can showcase what a Bluray disc can do.

George

targa02

« Reply #8 on: 1 Feb 2010, 10:25 pm »
Roy Orbison, Black & White Night.  The guitar solos on Pretty Woman and Ooby Dooby sound great on the Salks.  I play this for most folks that stop by for a demo.  My GF friend was mesmerized by it.  ; )

+1

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0017XFP4U/ref=pd_lpo_k2_dp_sr_3?pf_rd_p=486539851&pf_rd_s=lpo-top-stripe-1&pf_rd_t=201&pf_rd_i=B0000203YR&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_r=11QYB1YE5PSHYRP2MQE6

rahimlee54

« Reply #9 on: 1 Feb 2010, 10:39 pm »
My favorite demo BR is Ratatouille, excellent picture and sound, plus a movie about food something I love as much as A/V.

Carl V

« Reply #10 on: 1 Feb 2010, 10:55 pm »
Chris Botti Live in Boston HD
a very good wide range concert.

floresjc

« Reply #11 on: 1 Feb 2010, 10:57 pm »
Personally, I post virtually everything I want to talk about in the Salk circle, and I comment when I can on the AVA circle (as I own their gear as well). Simply because I'm not going to look through 100 circles to see what topics are relevant to me, and quite frankly, I enjoy the familiar groups of people on these 2 circles (where I have spent considerable time the last year or so). I've only recently dabbled in the Classical circle.

I've found that considerable time, effort, and money has been spent on just the Salk circle members alone, that I can get an informed opinion on virtually any audio topic that would be important to me. I would assume that others who have similar time invested in other Circles feel the same.

But on topic, I find the Up Blu - Ray to be particularly excellent, and AVSforum rates it a reference quality as well as the recent Blu Ray release of Monsters Inc. I can't comment directly on concert blu rays, because I don't have any. I think the best combination of sound and video showmanship may be The Incredibles and to a lesser extent, Finding Nemo. Both are very vibrant with color and have fast motion scenes, and the Incredibles has an amazing soundtrack as well as some very crazy subwoofer scenes. Finding Nemo is delicious looking and has one of the best sub scenes around, but I don't find the soundtrack particularly engaging. The only concert DVDs I own are Dave Matthews Concert In Central Park, and the two Ben Folds DVDs (WASO in Perth, Sessions @54th). Sessions @ 54th is amazing even though it is not on blu ray.

zybar

• Volunteer
  • Dutch and Dutch 8C's…yes they are that good!
« Reply #12 on: 2 Feb 2010, 12:01 am »
Here are some selections that sound really good to me:

Dave Matthews and Tim Reynolds - Live at Radio City
Rush - Snakes and Arrows Live
The Police - Certifiable
Jeff Beck - Performing This Week: Live at Ronnie Scott's
John Mayer - Where the Light Is - Live in Los Angeles
David Gilmour - Remember That Night - Live At The Royal Albert Hall

George

coke

« Reply #13 on: 2 Feb 2010, 03:03 am »
Chris Botti Live in Boston HD
a very good wide range concert.

This was the first thing to come to mind when I read the title of this thread.  :thumb:

PeteG

« Reply #15 on: 3 Feb 2010, 01:53 am »
"It Might Get Loud"

I seen this the other night and really enjoyed this Blu-ray, guitarists: Jimmy Page of Led Zeppelin, U2's the Edge and Jack White of the White Stripes team up. Audio is 5.1 DTS-HD Master Audio but I listened to it down mixed to 2ch using an Oppo 83SE.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5sBLir8H2zM

Bob in St. Louis

• Volunteer
  • "Introverted Basement Dwelling Troll"
« Reply #16 on: 3 Feb 2010, 02:05 am »
Something to check out before you but a Blue Ray:
http://www.blu-raystats.com/Stats/Stats.php

srb

« Reply #17 on: 3 Feb 2010, 02:25 am »
The original title of the thread was corrected, and I was just going to remove this post, but this Blue Ray is just too darned eerily beautiful, so I'm leaving him in.

Steve

Blue Ray (Taeniura lymma)

« Last Edit: 5 Feb 2010, 08:31 pm by srb »

Bob in St. Louis

• Volunteer
  • "Introverted Basement Dwelling Troll"
« Reply #18 on: 3 Feb 2010, 04:08 pm »
 :lol: HA HA You're a funny guy Steve!   :lol:
But you might wanna tell the original poster. Check out the title.  :wink:
I suppose we should just call it a BD, right? Technically that's the correct abbreviation I think.

bob

fsimms

Re: Outstanding Demo Blu-Rays
« Reply #19 on: 3 Feb 2010, 05:09 pm »
Thanks Steve.  I corrected the title and my original post.

Bob