power line treatment survey

ArthurDent

• Don't Panic / Mostly Harmless
Re: power line treatment survey
« Reply #20 on: 12 Mar 2011, 02:53 pm »
Main system on 20a dedicated circuit, w/ Furman Elite 15 PFi conditioner.

Office system, std 15a circuit w/2 computers, +, Furman Station-6 conditioner. No noise, no problems.

vhiner

« Reply #21 on: 9 Jul 2011, 08:05 pm »
I use two dedicated 20 amp lines..one for the front end and one for the main amp. I run my amp through a Shunyata guardian using two Shunyata Anaconda CX power cords. For the front end, I use a combination of Anaconda and Pthython CX cords into a Shunyata Hydra 8 version II. I'll be upgrading to a Shunyata Talos for the front end, in case anyone's interested in the Hydra 8 VersionII.  It's better than the V-Ray version I at a fraction of the price.

I consider a power conditioning system to be as vital to my system as any other component...something that can be easily demonstrated by removing any of it. The difference is not subtle and I've demonstrated this gear in other people's systems. They all purchased their own conditioner and cords within a month.

DougSmith

• What will the next hundred years bring?
« Reply #22 on: 9 Jul 2011, 08:51 pm »
I added an APC AV15H conditioner for my system because I recently added an HTPC and it seemed convenient to have all of the components running off one unit in my new cabinet.  I wasn't experiencing any problems before, but I see now that when the AC kicks on in my house there is a large voltage drop. If I set the APC on "narrow" for voltage regulation, this causes the unit to shut off quite frequently because it is not able to compensate adequately.  The service in my house is OK (200A).  Any suggestions on how to avoid that voltage drop (I'm not sure that a dedicated line would do it since there isn't much else on the circuit I am using now)?

werd

« Reply #23 on: 9 Jul 2011, 08:57 pm »
Mine is a Torus 240v. I plug the amps into the wall or into the conditioner. Currently running the amps into the Torus.

vhiner

« Reply #24 on: 9 Jul 2011, 10:43 pm »
Doug,

The real question is whether you hear a difference in your music as a result of the very brief voltage drop when the AC kicks on. If it seriously degrades, I believe the only practical solution is a power regenerator such as the kind made by PS Audio unless you want to get your audio on a dedicated pole...and that'd be wildly expensive if your utility company would even do it. However,  many would argue that the real culprit with power issues and audio components is "noise" and that a passive conditioner does the least harm and the most good.

DougSmith

« Reply #25 on: 10 Jul 2011, 01:57 am »
The voltage drop makes no difference I can hear, so I can easily live with the wider voltage range setting.

vhiner

« Reply #26 on: 10 Jul 2011, 03:17 am »
Doug,

While the APC is a fine surge protector, there may be equally inexpensive conditioners specifically designed for audio components that could improve your sound and reduce noise in ways you would appreciate.FWIW.

DougSmith

« Reply #27 on: 10 Jul 2011, 03:38 am »
Well, it does condition as well as regulate and protect.  I had no extraneous noise to start with - even at high gain - so I'm not sure I would know what I would be experiencing the absence of if I used something "better". Anyway, I'm happy with the system.

TONEPUB

« Reply #28 on: 10 Jul 2011, 04:24 am »
Dedicated 20A line for power amp with Running Springs Maxim,  Dedicated 20A line for preamp, turntables and phono preamps with Running Springs Dmitri, Dedicated 15A line for dCS Paganini and Sooloos with Running Springs Elgar.  Combination of Shunyata and RSA power cords.

vinyl_lady

« Reply #29 on: 10 Jul 2011, 04:48 am »
20 amp dedicated circuit into a PS Soloist Premier outlet; UberBUSS plugged into the Soloist Premier; amp plugged directly into UberBUSS; PS Audio Power Plant Premier plugged into the other half of the Uber; tubed pre amp & phonostage, all sources and ModWright PS-9 power supply (for tubed analog output mod on the Oppo) plugged into different ciruciuts on the back of the PPP. About a dozen PS Audio Noise Harvestors plugged into various outlets in my music room and throughout the house. The noise floor is dead quiet black. I thought I had noise free power delivery until I added the Uber, which caused what noise was there to completely disappear.

ctviggen

« Reply #30 on: 10 Jul 2011, 11:28 am »
I have two 20A circuits on isolated ground, hospital grade outlets, cryogenically treated.  I also installed everything myself and used cryogenically treated 10 gauge wires through EMT.  Nothing else. 

Big Red Machine

« Reply #31 on: 10 Jul 2011, 11:30 am »
The breaker box is in the same room so I have a split leg 20A circuit to both side walls:

VenHaus 10 ga cryo'd Romex
4 Maestro cryo'd outlets
The rack is fed by a 5 ga, 12" direct shot DIY PC to a BPT BP2
BP2 heavily modded with ERS cloth, copper shielding, ferrites, spiked feet
The BP2 feeds the dac, SB PS, CDP, PC, and Preamp
The mono blocks are currently powered via a DIY PC to a Synergistic Powercell 4 and a pair of Triode 8 ga PC's.
Various Alan Maher PE's.

That's the current set-up and between tracks it is very quiet but noise in the recordings is noticeable and I am not sure there is a cure for that.

rw@cn

« Reply #32 on: 10 Jul 2011, 03:17 pm »
Separate 20 amp lines for analog and digital. Two surge protectors in circuit breaker box and one Synergistic PowerCell 4 on each line.

Big Red Machine

« Reply #33 on: 10 Jul 2011, 03:25 pm »
Separate 20 amp lines for analog and digital. Two surge protectors in circuit breaker box and one Synergistic PowerCell 4 on each line.

How do the PowerCell 4's work on the sources?  I've only used my single unit on the amps.

rw@cn

« Reply #34 on: 10 Jul 2011, 03:44 pm »
They work just fine indeed. The preamp (Pathos InControl) is no longer as dark and there is so much refined delicacy and detail in the presentation. The CD (Teac SA 50s) is not as affected but there is a lack of the slight grain that was apparent before. The HDTV (Pioneer plasma) has definitely improved in all respects. Nice robust blacks and sharper details. My analog rig while not the best (Basic + phono pream, ClearAudio Emotion with Benz Gold cartridge) is more of a mixed bag. Before using the PowerCell 4 almost all of my lp's sounded about the same. Now the well mastered or better maintained lp's sound stunning and the poorer mastered or maintained lp's can really hurt the ears.

The only downside may be that the music has a tendency to sound a bit light and airy. But that may be because my Magnepan 1.7's need to be better positioned and/or I need a sub. I do need to work on the room since it has been modified.

Lacee

« Reply #35 on: 22 Oct 2011, 01:08 am »
I use three dedicated lines, one 20 amp breaker, two 30 amp breakers.My panel is in my listening room, so I use less than 10 feet of 10 guage solid core Romex per line.
One line has an FIM blue receptacle, two have a Shunyata Venom.

A Hydra 2 is on a 30 amp line and my Audio Aero Capitole cd player and Depth sub are in that hydra.This dedicated line is only 4 feet long but I use a DIY 20 amp power cord to the Hydra made up of top of the line Furutech power cord and Rhodium 20 amp plugs.

The other 30 amp line uses a Shunyata Venom recptacle into which a 20 amp Annaconda power cord services a Hydra 8 which powers my Rega P9 TT, and manley Steelhead pre/phono.The Manley uses a 15 amp Annaconda PC.The Rega power supply uses a Cardas gold power cord.
The third dedicated line on the 20 amp breaker uses another Shunyata venom recptacle and another Annaconda Power Cord to drive my DecWare Zen Select amp.

The amp, cd player and Steelhead all use HiFI Supreme fuses.

The speakers are Ref 3A Grand Veena, the speaker wire and jumpers are Nordost Heimdals in the diagonal set up and the interconnects are also Nordost Heimdals.

I can't emphasis how important a role that the power plays in our hobby.That should be obvious to everybody, but sadly there are a lot of folks who think this appoach to better sound is filled with snake oil.

But for the rest of us who make the effort to try the stuff before we condemn or condone it,we know that the weakest links will always degrade the sound.So, whatever we can do to rid ourselves of weak links and sonic bottleknecks, the better the sound will be  and the more enjoyment we will achieve.

Many times people try one small tweak and expect a miraculous transformation and when it doesn't happen they cry foul, or snake oil.
In my experience it's all cumulative.The more things you address the more the sound improves, and even things like fuse upgrades are easy to hear .

Of all things in audio that promise sonic improvemnts, the upgraded fuse or bypassing of same(per Peter Aczel early 1980's)is one of the most beneficial and least costly power tweaks you can make.

Why there is so much apprehension to something so reasonably priced(for a tweak) is beyond my comprehension of what this hobby is supossed to be about.

DEV

« Reply #36 on: 22 Oct 2011, 11:57 pm »
How about one of these bad boys, no more need for any other power devises.

http://www.equitech.com/products/industrial/wall.html

cheap-Jack

« Reply #37 on: 14 Nov 2011, 08:03 pm »
Hi.
How about one of these bad boys, no more need for any other power devises.

MMmmmmm.
Yea, "bad" enough to use torroids on mains powerlines which are so often get DC offsets due to unbalanced load on phase lines. Torroids just can't take any DC offsets. Period. I'd use standard EI irons instead of torroids, as EI cores are much more forgetting than torroids for any DC offsets on powerlines.

Powerline filters are ALWAYS NEEDED regardless of whatever powerline isolation irons are used.

c-J
"If the facts don't fit the theory, change the facts" quoted Albert Einstein.

Phil A

« Reply #38 on: 14 Nov 2011, 10:17 pm »
In the main system, I have a dedicated circuit to one receptacle where I have a Torus RM20.  I have secondary systems (basement and bedroom) and projectors (in the main and basement systems) and I also have a PS audio outlet, a couple of Richard Gray 300 units, a Vansevers too and I also have a bunch of Quiet Line Filters and PS Audio Noise Harvesters around

adydula

• Restricted
« Reply #39 on: 14 Nov 2011, 11:29 pm »
Dont want to start any arguments here but I am still a non-believer.

I have tried some 'stuff' ....different mega buck speaker wires, silver litz interconnects etc...some differnent power cords and some filtering....nothing to really make me say "WOW" gotta have this....it makes such a big difference."

I would buy into this stuff in an instant if I could actually, objectively hear the real improvement in real world tangible ways....

When I hear things like "it makes hearing the background details 'easier' to hear or things sound so clear or less conjested...well??? Whats a person to think?

I have an electrical engineering background and I like real data not emotion.
But yes I do get emotional when listening to well recorded and mastered music!!

There are so many other things to me make more of a real world difference and impact on sound quality than power line treatments.....

Maybe someday I will be close to some of you guys to actually hear what your really experiencing....

All the best
Alex
 :D