Bryston BDA-1 Upsampling vs regular sound qualities

robb

Bryston BDA-1 Upsampling vs regular sound qualities
« on: 23 Jul 2009, 01:54 am »
Hello

Wondered if some of you with more expertise in the digital area could help a rookie like me.

I have had the Bryston BDA-1 in my system for three months and it is a great improvement in my system's sound overall in every characteristic.

Am curious about the upsampling switch and its effect on sound.  From looking at the reviews so far, some like the sound with upsampling switched in, others like the sound with the upsampling switch out.  None say what sound differences they hear.

Since the upsampling is supposed to sound better,(or why include it), am wondering what sound characteristics it is supposed to improve.

1__does it improve square wave response? Rise time?

2.  Does it lesson pre-echo from the digital filter?

3. Does it improve phase characteristics over the frequency spectrum? Frequency response linearity?

Appreciate any thoughts. Thanks

rob

Robert D

Re: Bryston BDA-1 Upsampling vs regular sound qualities
« Reply #1 on: 23 Jul 2009, 02:20 am »
robb , Feedback !

Upsampling vs regular sound qualities

I use the upsampling Mode on low volumes.

I find it just enriches the sound Quality.

How are you connected to your BDA-1 ?

Let us know

Robert

alexone

• Anthony Bower, Stan Rybbert, John Stoneborough
« Reply #2 on: 23 Jul 2009, 03:11 am »
robb,

i cannot say what the difference is. but hoping to get the best results i always let the upsampling on. reading the BDA-1's specs the upsampling when engaged 'must' be the better choice?! i am in the process of getting new and better speakers anyway...maybe then i can hear the differences.

al.

Mag

« Reply #3 on: 23 Jul 2009, 03:49 am »
Hello

Wondered if some of you with more expertise in the digital area could help a rookie like me.

I have had the Bryston BDA-1 in my system for three months and it is a great improvement in my system's sound overall in every characteristic.

Am curious about the upsampling switch and its effect on sound.  From looking at the reviews so far, some like the sound with upsampling switched in, others like the sound with the upsampling switch out.  None say what sound differences they hear.

Since the upsampling is supposed to sound better,(or why include it), am wondering what sound characteristics it is supposed to improve.

1__does it improve square wave response? Rise time?

2.  Does it lesson pre-echo from the digital filter?

3. Does it improve phase characteristics over the frequency spectrum? Frequency response linearity?

Appreciate any thoughts. Thanks

rob

With my experimenting with the BCD-1, I believe upsampling acts like a cleaner. On a less than transparent recording it will reduce the muddiness. With re-mastered recording, they are usually already cleaned up. Upsampling applied to these recording may strip the tonal characteristics to some extent making the recording sound shrill or sterile. It really depends on the transparency of the recording on how much upsampling to apply or not.

To answer your question,  no. 1) improves square wave.

werd

« Reply #4 on: 24 Jul 2009, 12:49 am »
Hello

The output  of any dac isnt considered a true analogue signal. The output has to be treated to smooth out the edges of the digital signal, and make the waveform look analogue. The more bits employed the more the output looks analogue and less smoothing out. I am not sure how many bits are required and what is needed in the dac to accomplish a waveform that looks completely analogue before it's smoothed out. I would consider this result to be true high def. Of course this can be accomplished by vinyl playback.

robb

« Reply #5 on: 24 Jul 2009, 02:55 am »
It would seem that DAC manufacturers and reviewers would perform measurements in the important areas to see what factors change with upsampling switched in.

rob

werd

« Reply #6 on: 29 Jul 2009, 02:00 am »
It would seem that DAC manufacturers and reviewers would perform measurements in the important areas to see what factors change with upsampling switched in.

rob

Yes i agree because it would help us compare the differences. the noise specs on the bda 1 are probably stated with the upsampling employed.

robb

« Reply #7 on: 29 Jul 2009, 02:08 am »
To Mag

Is there any written material indicating that the square wave shape is improved with upsampling?

rob

Mag

« Reply #8 on: 29 Jul 2009, 05:44 am »
I don't know if this answers your question but you can read the article on sacd on Wikipedia. Scroll down to DSD and Sound quality of sacd vs cd.

Link

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Super_Audio_CD

werd

« Reply #9 on: 29 Jul 2009, 04:15 pm »
To Mag

Is there any written material indicating that the square wave shape is improved with upsampling?

rob

Hi Rob

If i may add

Square waves are used to turn gating on and off. They are basically a timing signal. Timing is usually effected by jitter from noise. Upsampling is a technique used for noise shifting and is applied to the digital audio signal. I dont see how the upsampled signal can change the shape of a timing signal. Unless ofcourse the audio signal appears as a square wave somewhere then it might be effected, that i am not sure of.

Actually it probably loads the signal from the SRC to the dac in square waves so nvm above