Amp dilema for MC

Mag

Amp dilema for MC
« on: 16 Jul 2009, 04:16 am »
Decided to get the 3B SST/2 for my MC set up.

Hooking the square to my Paradigm Studio 100's is a given. I will also have my CV LS8 parallel wired to the square. Why would I hook cheap speakers to a good amp? I have found the sst amp gives the LS8 fairly good control and liked the tonal quality it adds that I now can't seem to live without. I'm hoping with the square, the speaker performance will improve as well.

My original intention was to move the 3B SST to surround duty to replace my 3B ST. Which would even out the highs throughout the room in MC stereo mode. Now I'm thinking I should use the 3B SST with my second set of fronts (B&W 601 DM s3), which is powered by my Yamaha RX-V1700.

Overkill I think to use this much power on one set of bookshelfs. Having comparable amps though would be more important though to the cohesion of  the overall sound having 2 sets of fronts.

Or maybe I should use the 3B SST for the center channel instead of my 2B-LP, which also would be overkill? Actually this setup makes more sense for MC mode now that I thought about it.

Decisions, decisions!!

Anyway I've recently been listening more and more in 2 channel Pure Direct mode which is pretty darn good. This is what motivated me to get the squared as I can already imagine the sound benefit. However I still think MC stereo with 7 channel enhancer trumps 2ch Pure Direct.