Which speakers with Bryston B60R integrated amp for Rock music?

heliumflight

Hi Audiogurus,

I have a 16 year old Bryston amp passed from my dad and want advice on speakers for Rock music. I listen aloud and my room size is 150 sqft.

Please suggest speakers that would befit my needs.

Would the Ushers V-602 be good match?

http://www.soundstageav.com/onhifi/20070601.htm

Kindest regards
helium

Amp: Bryston B 60-R (60wrms @8ohms)
Speakers: B&W DM4 (need to upgarde as bass lean and not warm)
Source: LG DVD + Beresford DAC MK4
I.C: Shark / Monster cable Thx
Cables: 4mm Jamo OFC

Stu Pitt

Congrats on the B60.  Its a phenominal integrated.  I run Audio Physic Yara Evolution Bookshelves with mine.  My room is about the same size as yours, and they can play far louder than I'd care for without strain.  I listen to rock almost exclusively - Floyd, Zeppelin, Sabbath, Tool, Korn, Pearl Jam, STP, and so on.  Never had a single complaint.  They sound huge and full, with plenty of bottom end and dynamics.  Bob Marley's Legend remastered CD sounds phenominal on them too, as does just about every other type of music.

I've never heard Ushers, so I have no opinion.  I've heard the following with my B60 in auditioning and they all sounded great, but the Yaras bested them for me -

Dynaudio Focus 110
PMC DB1+
Focal Chorus 706V
Linn Katan

I owned PSB Image T55s, and they also sounded pretty good, but were a touch dry sounding for my tastes.  Linn's new Majik 109 look very intriguing to me.

lonewolfny42

• Speakers....What Speakers ?
heliumflight....

Good question.... :thumb:

I don't know if you know....but there is a Bryston Circle on AC.
I'm going to switch your post to that Circle....good luck.

mca

In reading the review of the Usher speakers, they sound like they may have the same traits as your B&W speakers. I would suggest looking into Axiom, Aperion or Monitor Audio Silver.

heliumflight

Thank you for sharing your insight.

Since I live in India not sure whether you can get these brands but

according to you which bookshelf speakers below match cloest to the Physic Yara Evolution sound signature

Usher S520/ MS Mezzo 2/ MA RS1/ EPOS M12/ Dali lecktor/ Quad/ Dyna Audience 52

Thanks a ton!

Physic Yara Evolution
Dynaudio Focus 110
PMC DB1+
Focal Chorus 706V
Linn Katan

heliumflight

Sure! didn't have a clue...

heliumflight....

Good question.... :thumb:

I don't know if you know....but there is a Bryston Circle on AC.
I'm going to switch your post to that Circle....good luck.

heliumflight

In reading the review of the Usher speakers, they sound like they may have the same traits as your B&W speakers. I would suggest looking into Axiom, Aperion or Monitor Audio Silver.

Thank you for your sincere advice. I have taken note of your observation.

Soundsgreat

Hi,

Since I live in India not sure whether you can get these brands but

according to you which bookshelf speakers below match cloest to the Physic Yara Evolution sound signature

Usher S520/ MS Mezzo 2/ MA RS1/ EPOS M12/ Dali lecktor/ Quad/ Dyna Audience 52

I have not heard the Yara's so no comments on them !

But the other speakers what you've mentioned are ok but nothing great for the Rock Genre !! the Dyna's have a different tonality better suited for other types of music ,So are Dali (although some might differ) ! rest pretty much a shade warm ( S520 and Quad) to forward (RS1 & Epos) !

So if you really need a huge bass then I'd say take a look at the Wharfedale Diamond 9.2 they have bass and for the said room size and the Amp they might work real well !!

Also you may consider a Single driver speakers from Audire (again not sure whether you'll like the tonality of a single driver speakers) as they are very high sensitive and may generate enough SPL for you ! while at it also Audition Lyrita which is from your city !!

Else look for a used one, perhaps the likes of 603S3 or so should do the job for you !!

Regards.

Stu Pitt

helium,

Of the speakers you've listed, I'd look in to the Epos and MAs.  Dali's are excellent speakers IMO, bit they're a bit too soft and polite to my ears.  Same for the Quads.  The Dyns are also excellent, but just not my cup of Rock tea.

But these are my preferences.  Everyone listens for different things.  Demo as many speakers as you can and take it from there.

The Yaras don't really sound a lot like any of the speakers you've listed that I've heard.  To my ears, they sound somewhere between PMC DB1+ and Totem Arros.  A bit fuller sounding and 3d than the DB1+, and don't have the dynamic and SPL limits as the Arros.  Not sure if you're familiar with either one of those.

Totem is another speaker I recommend highly.  Different models sound different; they don't have a 'house sound' like others do.  Most of their speakers use completely different woofers and tweeters.

I'm not sure if anything else is available to you than what you've listed.  Everything you've listed is respectable.  I wouldn't beat myself up trying to hear what isn't available.

robinje

How about Salk SongTowers?  Relatively efficient, easy 4-ohm load, stunning finish choices...  I like mine with the 'RT' ribbon tweeter upgrade option.  Besides, you can avoid dealer/distributor markup, get an in-home trial period, and experience some of the best customer service in the industry.  Just an idea...

Stu Pitt

Helium is in India.  Not sure how things would go with internet direct products.

werd

Helium is in India.  Not sure how things would go with internet direct products.

Not sure why there isnt more clever audio products out of India that i can think of.
Everything else they they do seems to have an element of brilliance to it.

lonewolfny42

• Speakers....What Speakers ?

Not sure why there isnt more clever audio products out of India that i can think of.

Cadence Audio is located in India...speakers and amps.
I've heard their Avita model...a very nice speaker. 8)

http://www.cadenceaudio.com/productfr.html

heliumflight

helium,

Of the speakers you've listed, I'd look in to the Epos and MAs.  Dali's are excellent speakers IMO, bit they're a bit too soft and polite to my ears.  Same for the Quads.  The Dyns are also excellent, but just not my cup of Rock tea.

Tomorrow I do intend to audition the Polk Audio LSi9/ KEF IQ 30. Will let you know whether it rocked my boat.

How would you rate ProAC Studio 110 for my needs

Thanks

Stu Pitt

The Polk LSi9s require a lot of power from what I've heard.  May not be the best match because of it.  Only way to find out is to bring the B60 with you if possible.

The ProAcs just may be right up your alley.

vegasdave

• My online rock magazine-Crypt Magazine
JBL or Cerwin-Vega.

heliumflight

JBL or Cerwin-Vega.

As JBL is available here. Any specific model of JBL to pair with my baby amp

heliumflight

The ProAcs just may be right up your alley.

Can my baby amp drive tower speakers- Studio ProAC 140 with authority.

Imperial

• Love keeps us in the air, when we ought to fall.
You know, on the back of your Bryston is a couple of metal jumpers connecting the power and
the pre section of your integrated.
Remove that jumper and polish it with some sort of VERY FINE metal rubbing or polish.
Make it shine like crazy. Then clean it well with alcohol and then apply either Caig DeOxit or Quicksilver Gold or ProteX metal treatment.
Clean all the rca inputs with Caig DeOxit by the way.
Also clean the powercord inlet in the amp.

Why would you want to clean all these surfaces?
Well, a 16 year old amp is bound to have som buildup on the metal surfaces!!!
A good clean is good for the amp, and the sound!!!

Matching the Physics Yara... My guess would be the Epos speaker!!!
But also the DAli Lektor 3 would be good, it should be more warm in the sound, it is also easier to drive I think, that the Epos. But both these speakers do ha a slight peaky treble.
Also if the speaker cable you are using also is 16 years old, I'd suggest re-terminating it...
Cut the ends of the speaker cables, small stumps, to expose new unused surfaces.
Cleaning the speaker terminals on the amp is also a good idea!!

But the most important thing is to CLEAN that jumper and those rca's that connect the pre and power section!!

However... there is a old Dali goodie, it is called the Dali Grand Coupe.
Looks like this:

They do need a powerfull amp.
But I'm sure the bryston will kick them into life quite nicely.
They are ably to play just about all kinds of music.
They are only found on the used market now (around 1000$, and it's likely 10 years old..), but they are smashing!!
And they have a tunefull and adequatly resolved bass!

And if you REALLY want a Warm sound and an insanely easy to drive speaker...
The Pioneer HPM 40!!! I've seen them on sale for like 100$!!!
One might need to recone the woofers, but still...
Presence, warmth and punch and quite resolved also, very tunefull bass! Organic sound I'd say.

Lastly, the DM4's have a fuse inside... over the years one will get some arcing on that holder..
It might be a good idea to look inside and see if the metal surfaces are corroded in the fuseholder...

Imp.

vegasdave

• My online rock magazine-Crypt Magazine
JBL or Cerwin-Vega.

As JBL is available here. Any specific model of JBL to pair with my baby amp

Sure. Check out the Studio L880 or L890 models. These are floorstanders. They're sensitive enough to use with the B60. However, they do benefit from using larger amps. I use the L890s myself (with a 4B SST pro) and they're absolutely wonderful, especially for the price!