Bryston/CLX experience

danman

Bryston/CLX experience
« on: 9 Jun 2009, 11:09 pm »
Well...........I finally got my wish to listen to the Martin Logan CLX and Bryston 28BSST2 together. Initial reaction: Incredible!

I arrived in Montreal and went to Son Ideal and Claude was the one to serve me. I told him that my interest was purely more curious than customer at this present time and he did not even blink. When I first arrived, he had a set of used Quads that were about 10 months old. They were nice but not anything near the CLX fit and finish and sound. They are both very different from one another however, for my tastes, I found them (Quad) flat sounding in comparison.

I mentioned to him the interest I have in the CLX and without hesitation, even though he knew I was not going to buy, moved the Quads out of the way (both of us actually lifting them) and he slid the CLX in their place hooked them up and put on some Jazz! From the first note, I noticed a huge difference form the Quad. I was actually very impressed with the bass. A lot of people have talked about lack of bass but I can tell you that I have never heard such wonderful "midbass" It was weird watching one of the panels mylar moving! Of course they were not made for home theatre "boom boom" but for music, other than let's say heavy metal, they are excellent. He had a Descent i sub but I did not ask him to use it because to me, it was just sort of sitting in the wrong spot to be of any use for a review. I was shocked how big the sub was too!

I then listened to more Jazz but with vocals this time and I was glued to my seat! Lastly, he put on the new CD from Burton Cummings and his male voice was powerful and clear. Fantastic!

The Bryston electronics were of course wonderful sounding. In comparison, I can tell you all that what surprised me was how the soundstage and stereo separation was close to my 4BSST2! What I mean is that there were more simularities than differences between the amps. I already own Martin Logan and noticed how the 28B's and 4B's (square series) sounded quite close in these areas. But for dynamics and power............no comparison!

I can say that this was actually the best combination I have ever heard and even though I have not listened to 300 or so, I have listened to some big stuff that was even more expensive and was blown away. I walked out with a big smile and wondered how I could make a quick 26000$ and then I realised that I was on St-Catherine street and for a few minutes, contemplated buying a used guitar and playing for quarters...............but then , reality came back to me and that I would not make much money playing "Smoke on the Water" since that is all I know!! :roll:

Oh well, there is always the lottery!

twitch54

Re: Bryston/CLX experience
« Reply #1 on: 9 Jun 2009, 11:51 pm »
oh happy days !!! .....I trust you went to Moishes for dinner !!

danman

« Reply #2 on: 9 Jun 2009, 11:53 pm »
??? Been coming here for 14 years on business and never heard of that place!

twitch54

« Reply #3 on: 10 Jun 2009, 12:26 am »
??? Been coming here for 14 years on business and never heard of that place!

Dan, you have got to be kidding !!!!!!!!!! well then......let this 55 year old from Philly let you in on a little secret..... when in Montreal and your in the mood for good steak THE two choices are Moishes and Queve de Cheval.

danman

« Reply #4 on: 10 Jun 2009, 12:30 am »
Ahhhhhhhhhh! Will have to check it out! I have been to so many wonderful places to eat here that I actually don't keep track.

Thanks for the advice.