How good is .4b preamp?

math-geek

How good is .4b preamp?
« on: 7 Jun 2009, 06:51 pm »
I found a Bryston .4b preamp in near mint condition for 350.00.  How good is this preamplifier and does this seem like a fair price.

I am currently using a PS Audio 4.6 preamp with a 250 watt outboard power supply running into a Bryston 2b amplifier.  The PS Audio was known for its refined, smooth treble and bass definition as well as for having an outstanding phono section.  There is a tag on the underside of this preamp from an old audio store with a price of $1300.00 printed on it.  It sounds much better to my ears than any of the prior NAD, Rotel or Adcom preamps that I have tried with the 2b.  I only want to purchase the .4b if I feel that it would be a substantial upgrade.

I am on a tight budget (college student) so I try to buy very wisely.  So for another question what do you think about me keeping the PS Audio preamp and trying to find a good deal on a Bryston 3bST amplifier.  I am using Dynaudio Contour 1.3 monitors with a sensitivity of 86db and a 4ohm impedance rating.  I am honestly surprised by how well my 2b powers these speakers seeing as it is the old "large" body model rated at 50wpc 8 ohm and 100wpc 4ohm.  The previous owner had this amp serviced and it now has the larger 6800 uf capacitors instead of the original 4700 uf.  I very recently compared my "baby" Bryston to a Parasound HCA 800 (150 wpc 4ohm) and an NAD THX 2400 (150 wpc 4ohm), the results came as a bit of a shock.  The Bryston at all but the most extreme volumes actually sounded more powerful, there was no comparison in stereo separation, soundstage breadth and depth was superior, placement of instuments, noise floor, midrange and treble refinement hands down went to the Bryston.  I am beginning to understand what all the fuss was about in the old reviews that I have found on the 2b.  I cannot even fathom what a new 3bsst2 would sound like!

Thank you for your patience and help gentlemen.

vegasdave

• My online rock magazine-Crypt Magazine
Re: How good is .4b preamp?
« Reply #1 on: 7 Jun 2009, 07:56 pm »
I dunno, is there any way you can hear the .4B preamp?

I personally would recommend all Bryston, but it's really up to you.

math-geek

« Reply #2 on: 7 Jun 2009, 08:46 pm »
I wish that I could audition the .4b in my system but that won't happen unless I buy it.  My only experience with Bryston is the by happenstance deal i got on my 2b.  I am leaning towards buying the .4b because it is newer than my PS Audio 4.6 and I believe that there is still some warranty remaining on it.

vegasdave

« Reply #3 on: 7 Jun 2009, 10:16 pm »
I see. I've been there, but with new equipment. Does the .4b have phono?

rob80b

« Reply #4 on: 8 Jun 2009, 03:01 am »
Hi Math-Geek

The .4 is a fine pre-amp, no bells and whistles but does lack the phono stage  as on the .5 which can quite often be found for the same price.
I had the .5 five prior to the BP25P, although the BP25 is the better pre-amp I could not honestly say they are night and day, also the initial gain on the .5/.4's is higher than the BP25/26 so you may be able to coax the Bryston 2B in putting out a bit more power to the Dyns.

Robert

vegasdave

« Reply #5 on: 8 Jun 2009, 08:34 pm »
That's good to know. I take it the BP6 (which I own) is the successor to the .4 and .5