New SSTsq plug in and turn on procedure

Michael 8

New SSTsq plug in and turn on procedure
« on: 6 Jun 2009, 06:53 pm »
Hi,

Could anyone explain why the new procedure?

The instruction booklet on my new SST sq says that the master circuit power switch should be switched off during installation. Further, it says "With the circuit breaker 'OFF' insert the power cord into the SST amplifier, then plug the other end to an appropriate A/C power outlet."

Along with that booklet there is also a separate sheet of paper labeled "Important amplifier installation procedure".

This is dated July 2008 and says "When installing the amplifier:
"BEFORE  YOU PLUG THE POWER CORD INTO THE WALL" make sure:
The amplifiers rear panel circuit breaker must be in the "ON" position.

It turns out that I have to move the amplifier to a different location and I must unplug everything, etc.  I would like to be able to turn off the power at the circuit breaker before unplugging the power cord at the wall.  Would this be ok?

But then when I plug it in again, I must have the amp circuit breaker turned on first again?

werd

Re: New SSTsq plug in and turn on procedure
« Reply #1 on: 6 Jun 2009, 07:00 pm »
Hi,

Could anyone explain why the new procedure?

The instruction booklet on my new SST sq says that the master circuit power switch should be switched off during installation. Further, it says "With the circuit breaker 'OFF' insert the power cord into the SST amplifier, then plug the other end to an appropriate A/C power outlet."

Along with that booklet there is also a separate sheet of paper labeled "Important amplifier installation procedure".

This is dated July 2008 and says "When installing the amplifier:
"BEFORE  YOU PLUG THE POWER CORD INTO THE WALL" make sure:
The amplifiers rear panel circuit breaker must be in the "ON" position.

It turns out that I have to move the amplifier to a different location and I must unplug everything, etc.  I would like to be able to turn off the power at the circuit breaker before unplugging the power cord at the wall.  Would this be ok?

But then when I plug it in again, I must have the amp circuit breaker turned on first again?

Hi Michael

The amp wont turn off if you dont follow the procedure.... no damage or anything , it just wont turn on. I ran into tht problem the first time i tried to turn on my 4bsq. Its not a great time wondering if your amp is DOA. So i guess they included this as a reminder to follow the instructions for turn on.

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
Re: New SSTsq plug in and turn on procedure
« Reply #2 on: 6 Jun 2009, 07:08 pm »
Hi Guys,

Yes you MUST have the circuit breaker on before you plug the power cord into the wall.

The original idea with this circuit was it would prevent the amplifier from turning on if there was an 'over' or 'under' power condition present.  We have since removed this feature from the newer amps as it cause much confusion!

james