Praise and blasphemy

Vulpes

Praise and blasphemy
« on: 29 May 2009, 07:55 pm »
Praise and Blasphemy

I.      Prologue
I own a Audiolab 8000A amplifier since 1988 and at the same time I obtained a second hand pair of Rauna Leira II speakers (Swedish, made of concrete).
I've allways wanted to have a really good audio system, and since about 6 months ago I felt it was time to upgrade. I started reading HiFi magazines and visiting HiFi shows.
At one of those shows one type of speaker caught my interest: Marten FormFloor. I've had the opportunity of listening to it at a HiFi dealer for a nice couple of hours and I've decided that this will be the one (pair).
Then, of course, the matching amp. At one particular point I was set on the Musical Fidelity A5.5 amp (though ridiculously overpowered in my opinion with 250 Watts - the HiFi Magizines told me to listen to ).
But I kept on reading and also came across Bryston. I heard very good stories on this make (soundwise) and especially the 20 year warranty was, well, striking. But in Europe the price is at least twice as much as in Northern America, so I forgot about it.
That is, more or less...
I started reading this forum (so interest grew again) and I began to incline to the thought that a second hand B60SST or a B100SST would be something to go for (I met a guy who suggested me to look into second hand gear).
So I did, and using the Internet, and I came across a German guy that offered a 3.5 year old BP26/4BSST combination for a very decent price. (Yes, in my opinion overpowered to the rim, but cheaper than a new B100SST!) I contacted him, and after making sure the Bryston warranty was valid (the seller contacted Bryston to check this) - well suffice it to say that I'm a member of the family too!

II.   Praise
I could say it hears like a blanket has been removed from my speakers
I could say the bass is more controles (perhaps even deeper?)
I could say the silences are more silent
I could say the music sounds very could at low sound levels
I could say my wife thinks it sounds better (this one is a heavy weight!)
I could say the music sounds more articulate, more detailed
I could go one, but I might be asked to work for a HiFi magazine...

Forget all the above, I'll should keep it simple: now I enjoy my music a lot more.

III.   Blasphemy
(asbestos shields powered on).
The seller has carefully marked the power lines to connected these correctly to the phase. I ignored that totally.
Because I use a mains distribution block that is unearthed.
The interconnects between the preamp and poweramp are two simple tiny phono connectors.
The speaker cables are each about 6 meter(19ft) long and, since the speakers are only 4 meters apart, the larger part of these cables are serving as an firm electromagnet.

But still: everything mentioned under 'Praise' holds...

IV.   Epilogue
I know what should be done: for a Bryston owner holds: Noblesse oblige.
I've ordered proper speaker cables and interconnects. Since I'm hooked I ordered these from Bryston. They will be in soon.
I will buy a proper mains distribution block real soon.
And within a few weeks I will have Marten FormFloor speakers to connect to the Bryson set.
(can I now power off the asbestos shields ??)

Stu Pitt

Re: Praise and blasphemy
« Reply #1 on: 29 May 2009, 08:05 pm »
Excellent post, Vulpes.  I'd welcome you to Bryston ownership, but I figure a welcome from James Tanner would be far more appropriate.  I'm pretty sure he'll be by soon.

vegasdave

• My online rock magazine-Crypt Magazine
« Reply #2 on: 29 May 2009, 09:28 pm »
Cool, man. Enjoy your Bryston!

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
« Reply #3 on: 29 May 2009, 10:26 pm »
Praise and Blasphemy

I.      Prologue
I own a Audiolab 8000A amplifier since 1988 and at the same time I obtained a second hand pair of Rauna Leira II speakers (Swedish, made of concrete).
I've allways wanted to have a really good audio system, and since about 6 months ago I felt it was time to upgrade. I started reading HiFi magazines and visiting HiFi shows.
At one of those shows one type of speaker caught my interest: Marten FormFloor. I've had the opportunity of listening to it at a HiFi dealer for a nice couple of hours and I've decided that this will be the one (pair).
Then, of course, the matching amp. At one particular point I was set on the Musical Fidelity A5.5 amp (though ridiculously overpowered in my opinion with 250 Watts - the HiFi Magizines told me to listen to ).
But I kept on reading and also came across Bryston. I heard very good stories on this make (soundwise) and especially the 20 year warranty was, well, striking. But in Europe the price is at least twice as much as in Northern America, so I forgot about it.
That is, more or less...
I started reading this forum (so interest grew again) and I began to incline to the thought that a second hand B60SST or a B100SST would be something to go for (I met a guy who suggested me to look into second hand gear).
So I did, and using the Internet, and I came across a German guy that offered a 3.5 year old BP26/4BSST combination for a very decent price. (Yes, in my opinion overpowered to the rim, but cheaper than a new B100SST!) I contacted him, and after making sure the Bryston warranty was valid (the seller contacted Bryston to check this) - well suffice it to say that I'm a member of the family too!

II.   Praise
I could say it hears like a blanket has been removed from my speakers
I could say the bass is more controles (perhaps even deeper?)
I could say the silences are more silent
I could say the music sounds very could at low sound levels
I could say my wife thinks it sounds better (this one is a heavy weight!)
I could say the music sounds more articulate, more detailed
I could go one, but I might be asked to work for a HiFi magazine...

Forget all the above, I'll should keep it simple: now I enjoy my music a lot more.

III.   Blasphemy
(asbestos shields powered on).
The seller has carefully marked the power lines to connected these correctly to the phase. I ignored that totally.
Because I use a mains distribution block that is unearthed.
The interconnects between the preamp and poweramp are two simple tiny phono connectors.
The speaker cables are each about 6 meter(19ft) long and, since the speakers are only 4 meters apart, the larger part of these cables are serving as an firm electromagnet.

But still: everything mentioned under 'Praise' holds...

IV.   Epilogue
I know what should be done: for a Bryston owner holds: Noblesse oblige.
I've ordered proper speaker cables and interconnects. Since I'm hooked I ordered these from Bryston. They will be in soon.
I will buy a proper mains distribution block real soon.
And within a few weeks I will have Marten FormFloor speakers to connect to the Bryson set.
(can I now power off the asbestos shields ??)

Hi Vulpes,

What a great story! -Thanks for todays smile and a sincere welcome to Bryston.

james