Going Active with PMC, options with studio monitors

gaderson

Going Active with PMC, options with studio monitors
« on: 29 May 2009, 07:09 am »
I have a pair of DB1S for my computer/bedroom studio and have wondered if/when I would do the "+" upgrade I could also have them to be made active? (i.e. the current Flying Mole pack on the back.) I started with DynaudioAcoustic BM15s powered by a 4B-ST-Pro which sounded good, but, when I got my DB1Ss the bass from the transmission lines changed my perspective, the BM15s now sounded boomy. Recently I've gone to a 2B-LP-Pro that works well with my BP-25--to select my source. But, since it seems that PMC no longer makes their XB1-P--passive subwoofer with internal crossover--I only need to power the DB1Ss (was looking at a 3B or higher). But, as my rack is running out of space it would be more helpful to go active. I suppose I could go with some PowerPacs, but, not as convenient or less cluttered. Is this possible? Other interesting options? I did really like the 'full range' idea of paring the DB1S/TB1Ss with a Sub, with crossover, and still only need to power two channels.

Daniel Datchev

Re: Going Active with PMC, options with studio monitors
« Reply #1 on: 29 May 2009, 08:07 am »
Hi gaderson,
having live with my combo PMC-Bryston I started to think whether my system is the right choice.
Looking back at the time it was almost impossible to have a system of this level, so the choice was right.
The best speaker is the active one. PMC have two different approaches. One is build-in electronics as PMC AML1 the other is active system as MB2S-A,BB5-A,MB2S XBD-A and BB5 XBD-A. The price gap in Europe is around 30,000 euro.
I exchange few messages with Ian (mvwhiting_83) and he said that at the moment they really had no plans to put out consumer oriented active systems. About AML1 it is compond of 2B-SST, 3B-SST and 10B which great. There is a difference in tweeter between passive and active models, so prior to make any amendments conntact PMC technical support for advice.
Daniel

gaderson

« Reply #2 on: 29 May 2009, 08:22 pm »
Well, they do sell the DB1i-A small active monitors, but, having heard a BB5-XBD-A as LCR and MB2-As as surrounds, I've got to be happy with what I've got. Just wondering if I have to buy a new set with the amplifiers attached, or can I get them added on at the factory/distributer?

mvwhiting_83

• Ask me speaker related questions!
    • PMC Speakers
« Reply #3 on: 29 May 2009, 08:29 pm »
Hello,

I'm sorry to say that it isn't possible to upgrade your DB1s to active +...  The way we make our small actives (TB2S-A & DB1S-A) is in a significantly altered cabinet. You can do a "+" upgrade but not an active upgrade.

gaderson

« Reply #4 on: 30 May 2009, 11:14 pm »
Shoot, I was afraid of that, but figured I'd ask. I suppose I can repurpose them to be back surrounds, and then look at actives for later. There's a Craig's List add for a pair of AML1s, but, still well out of my price range.